Gettysburg» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Gettysburg (2018) - Short Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Bottoms
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Really this barely counts as a 'session report', however I typed it up and added some pictures for the 'wargames on your table' geeklist, so thought I would cross-post it here incase anyone found it useful.

I played this one against my younger brother who is becoming my semi-regular ftf opponent (he has played alot of PC strategy games (paradox) over the years. But I'm hopeful of converting him devil).

He took the Union, with me playing the Confederates.
The battle played out incredibly historically over the first 2 days with the Union taking up positions on Seminary Ridge, only to be displaced and move to defensive positions around Cemetery Ridge, Cemetery Hill and Culp's Hill.

However on the last day (2 turns) the Confederates were able to fold the Union line completly crushing it from both ends.
I think this happened due to a combination of my brother being too conservative and passing too early leaving me with attacks in hand, and strong attacks led by my 2 star units. McLaws in the South and Hood in the North, being supported by adjacent units, were able to push in eliminating units, then advance on to the next (due to the multiple attacks rule).
The Union eneded up with only 1 unit left on the board!

This seemed a bit unrealistic, but I can't complain for a fun 45 minuite game.

I found the continuous move and attack mechanisms interesting. You sort of manouvre around each other until you are 'locked' together and then attack, advancing and retreating until the lines are 'broken apart' again.
Over the half day length turns the movement and fighting seems plausible, if of course an abstratction.
In General the game played out fairly histrically (for this scale/depth) and the rules were fast playing and fresh. I think this is defiently makes a good introductory hex & counter wargame.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this report. I bought this issue of C3i just for this game. I’ve read the rules, punched the counters and set it up for a solo run through but had to bag it cuz I needed the table space for another non-game project which is only half done. I think I will really like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to the game. I have not yet had the time to get it on the table, and for me...it is a solo table. My wife and I have lots of gaming friends, but unfortunately, wargaming is a solo affair.

My only first impression regret is on the choice of map colors. Pennsylvania in July is very green. I had the opportunity to tour the battlefield a few years ago, and the greenery was lush, as well as browns (of hills) and yellow (it was fall). But I suspect, as a Herman design, it will be time well spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got it to the table either, but I like the map. I know the area is quite green, I had an uncle we visited every summer up that way, but I find it evocative of the maps of the period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
I haven't got it to the table either, but I like the map. I know the area is quite green, I had an uncle we visited every summer up that way, but I find it evocative of the maps of the period.
That is exactly the look I was going for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For a game of this kind, I'd rather let the color of the counters "speak" while the map provides background and locations. I like the color palette, given the small-footprint treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
cooler king wrote:
That is exactly the look I was going for.
A more creative name might have been nice. Change the name Gettysburg Brown...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kreutzet
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a neat little game- corrective to all the magnum opuses out there... Combat systems recalls those of S. Craig Taylor in G'88. That used a 10-sided die+modifiers for a wider range of results. Not a bad system and I wonder about using d8 or 2d6 as the die roll modifier to division attack strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kreutzet
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:

A more creative name might have been nice. Change the name Gettysburg Brown...
Yea- this looks like an Eylau game ;-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls