Subject: Napoléon 1807 rulebook! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien Busson
France
Aubenas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The English version of the Napoléon 1807 rulebook! Compared to Napoléon 1806 rules, we worked heavily on the layout and organization of the rules in order to make them easier to tackle. Do not hesitate to tell us what you think!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LdYnb23fwfw6gv9UZkX_yUdZkY8...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you SO MUCH for doing this. I am always hesitant to acquire games with translated rules, especially when those rules are not available prior to the KS/preorder.

After just a brief glance I have a couple errors/omissions for you:

p.2 Under Overview of the game, line 7

"The first, named Rules of the conscript..." to match the later usage (Rules of the Grognard), you should probably change this to "...named Rules of the Conscript..." Further, having said there is a section of the rules named 'Rules of the Conscript' you never actually have that label anywhere in the rules. You have on p.15 the title header 'Rules of the Grognard, and in the Table of Contents it lists Rules of the Conscript on p.6, so maybe you need a box with 'Rules of the Conscript' on p6 directly above the box that reads Glossary.

p.4 to win at Napoleon 1807 you must:

1st bullet point strength is misspelled strenght

p.5 2nd line near top

"These strength points are representedby..." you need a space between represented and by

Dialog box labelled 1-- text is in French, needs to be translated

slightly below that dialog box,

"The screen alos provide reminders..." should be

"The screen also provides reminders..."

Overall, the rules look attractive and so far are easily comprehended. I really appreciate the section "Details on Playing cards." Looking at some of the cards that have been revealed, I was a little unsure of how they worked, but reading the details section of the actual rules has answered all my questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still in the middle of reading, but the game sounds good so far

Some more issues to add to Ron's list above:

pg 5 - "The Terrain Effects Chart printed on the game board reminds you [of] the effects of the terrain for combat"

pg 5 - "Playing cards are used to move your corps and resolve combat[remove S]"

pg 5 - "There are four kinds of area[s]"

pg 9 - The Recover example caption doesn't seem to correspond to the picture; it shows Lannes instead of Davout, and the number of fatigue points of the Olsufiev corps doesn't match the description.

pg 11 - The example refers to white arrows for Essen III's possible paths of retreat; the picture shows green arrows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more:

pg 9 - "The opponent continues operations until they also [pass]"

pg 12 - A player may initiate combat with their activated stack that is in [a] contested area[remove s]10

pg 14 - the Victory conditions seem to be opposite to what you mean, ie "When the French player gains victory points increase the number of victory points on the track" --> this should be "decreased" according to previous examples and the illustration below. The Russian VP movement should accordingly be "increased".

One thing that I am very unclear on is how many cards can played during an operation. The rules state "during an operation, each player may play a single card", however does an "operation" include movement AND combat, or are those considered separate operations? ie, during the French player's turn, could the Russian player play a a green event card during movement, AND another card if the French player decides to attack?

Does this one card limit apply to the card the non-active player plays during determining movement points? ie, can they play a green event card, and then ALSO play a card to subtract movement points? Or does the subtraction in 1B of the Move section refer to subtracted points due to an event only? It may be clear upon playing the actual game, but I'm very fuzzy on this just from reading the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Busson
France
Aubenas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick returns ! Will take all this into account.

@Marina : an operation is defined page 9. When activated a stack can move AND/OR attack. So during an operation you can only play one card even if your opponent move then attack.

And for the next question, answer is this one :
"Or does the subtraction in 1B of the Move section refer to subtracted points due to an event only?"

Take the opportunity to thank as well Joel who made the translation, Christian and Paul who did proofread and improve a lot the wording and style!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Watters
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
I noticed some of these - the victory conditions one is particularly amusing - so this is just new ones.

p4 .. Benningsen and sits at the East end ..

p5 The sample card should either have a French symbol in the top left or the text should say 'Russian player's'.

Looking, the words used for the cards changed between 1806 and this one. The former talked about 'drawing' cards whenever they are taken unseen from the deck, whereas this one says 'drawing' when they go into the player's hand and 'revealing' when they don't.

It wasn't immediately clear to this native English speaker that the revealed cards come from the deck rather than the player's hand. On first reading, I was wondering if it was a mechanism to make battles rarer - I can't fight this big battle because I don't have enough cards in my hand (= supplies...)

The combat example in 1807 makes it clear, but the wording in 1806 is better and I'd return to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unprinted wrote:

It wasn't immediately clear to this native English speaker that the revealed cards come from the deck rather than the player's hand. On first reading, I was wondering if it was a mechanism to make battles rarer - I can't fight this big battle because I don't have enough cards in my hand (= supplies...)

The combat example in 1807 makes it clear, but the wording in 1806 is better and I'd return to it.
I noticed this too. At first read I thought that they had to be played from the hand, so I'd agree this could be clearer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Busson
France
Aubenas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unprinted wrote:
Looking, the words used for the cards changed between 1806 and this one. The former talked about 'drawing' cards whenever they are taken unseen from the deck, whereas this one says 'drawing' when they go into the player's hand and 'revealing' when they don't.
Yes, we tried to be more consistent, but looks like it is not the case !

In fact, we use three words :
1. Draw : You draw a card and add it to your hand
2. Reveal : You reveal a card from your draw deck
3. Play : You play a card from your hand

We made a distinction between "drawing" and "revealing" compared to 1806 where we just used "drawing". So looked better at first sight.

We can maybe explain in the rule the way we use the three words ???

Would be happy to know your comments and suggestions on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the important point is that when you reveal a card, it does not go into your hand. Maybe it's more clear if you say "reveal and discard the top card of the draw deck?" A bit wordy, but it leaves no room for misunderstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Busson
France
Aubenas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christianv wrote:
I think the important point is that when you reveal a card, it does not go into your hand. Maybe it's more clear if you say "reveal and discard the top card of the draw deck?" A bit wordy, but it leaves no room for misunderstanding.
Or add at the beginning of the cards section :

2. Reveal : You reveal a card from your draw deck and discard it after use ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
judgeju wrote:
unprinted wrote:
Yes, we tried to be more consistent, but looks like it is not the case !

In fact, we use three words :
1. Draw : You draw a card and add it to your hand
2. Reveal : You reveal a card from your draw deck
3. Play : You play a card from your hand

We made a distinction between "drawing" and "revealing" compared to 1806 where we just used "drawing". So looked better at first sight.

We can maybe explain in the rule the way we use the three words ???

Would be happy to know your comments and suggestions on this!

For item #2, Reveal, I'm assuming you reveal the card and then play it?

If so, the wording for #2 should be:

"2. Reveal: Play the top card from your draw deck."

There is no ambiguity or question about what to do with those words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Busson
France
Aubenas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we tried to work on the wording and explanation :

1. Draw: Draw a card from your draw deck and add it to your hand
2. Reveal : Play the top card of your draw deck
3. Play : Play a card from your hand

Comments???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Perfectly clear, totally works for me. Thanks for listening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Busson
France
Aubenas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:

Perfectly clear, totally works for me. Thanks for listening.
Thanks for the feedbacks!

That's thank to you that we are able to improve the ruleset!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls