Dinosaur Island» Forums » General

Subject: Vocal Detractors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Birkai Qutuz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone notice that for a popular game with good reviews, there seems to be a very vocal group of posters who take every opportunity to advocate for a different dinosaur game or make it seem like the KS was a disaster?

The vast majority like this game and the vast majority had a good KS experience.

Personally, I'm having a blast with it, especially solo. Even my non-gamer wife likes it. I don't think I'll find a cooler worker placement game I enjoy better than this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracen Knight wrote:
Anyone notice that for a popular game with good reviews, there seems to be a very vocal group of posters who take every opportunity to advocate for a different dinosaur game or make it seem like the KS was a disaster?

The vast majority like this game and the vast majority had a good KS experience.

Personally, I'm having a blast with it, especially solo. Even my non-gamer wife likes it. I don't think I'll find a cooler worker placement game I enjoy better than this.
Are you saying their comments are invalid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birkai Qutuz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:

What a strange reply. I wonder what makes people jump into a thread ready to twist posts and stir up trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I couldn't care less about what they say. Do they prefer another dinosaur game? That's fine. Some people prefer BSG over DoW, others Lords of Hellas over Rising Sun. It'll always be like that.

As for the game, I don't like the solo mode a lot, but that's because I'm not a fan of beat-your-score solo games, I prefer an AI opponent. As a multiplayer game it's very good and I'd recommend it to anyone. I never played Dinogenics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birkai Qutuz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
Personally, I couldn't care less for what they. Do they prefer another dinosaur game? That's fine. Some people prefer BSG over DoW, others Lords of Hellas over Rising Sun. It'll always be like that.

As for the game, I don't like the solo mode a lot, but that's because I'm not a fan of beat-your-score solo games, I prefer an AI opponent. As a multiplayer game it's very good and I'd recommend it to anyone. I never played Dinogenics.
Totally Liquid has an AI so thats what I'm enjoying Check it out if you can! I modded it to give me an even greater challenge and it destroyed me today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
You don't really want to do that. . .
mbmbmbmbmb
The KS for Dinogenics, the other build and manage your own dinosaur theme park game, appears to have recently been delivered - so it's only natural that comparisons be made between it and Dinosaur Island, some negative and some positive. Aesthetically, they look very different - so that alone is going to appeal to different folks. Plus, the folks who backed it are naturally going to gush (as are the backers for DI).

The recent Kickstarter for Dinosaur Island was not without its flaws (uncorrected rulebook references regarding the color of the visitor and hooligan meeples, confusion regarding the Executive Meeples, a promised Solo AI included with the expansion that did not have an included ruleset, and the Phase 2 Board Extension for a 5th Player being changed from an actual extension to just a card) - and some folks may be more vocal about these than others depending on how significant they feel these issues are. There are a number of threads that hash those arguments out in full.

That being said, I suspect that most people are greatly enjoying this game and working through the issues in question - as have I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracen Knight wrote:

Does it matter? Do their comments take away from your enjoyment of the game?

Honestly, almost every game I've read about has this problem and it's not relevant. Some people like it, some don't. Some will advocate for alternative games... and that's their prerogative.

In the end, enjoy your game and don't put thought into what others are saying against it. It's their opinion and they're entitled to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiroooo
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracen Knight wrote:

Well of course with any popular game there will be people who dont like the game. And I find it hard to argue that the rulebook and upgrade kits werent a total disaster. What is the point of this post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracen Knight wrote:
corkysru wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:

What a strange reply. I wonder what makes people jump into a thread ready to twist posts and stir up trouble.
Who is twisting anything? I just asked a question. Your accusations, defensiveness and lack of an answer show your true intent. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birkai Qutuz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chigatterun wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:

Well of course with any popular game there will be people who dont like the game. And I find it hard to argue that the rulebook and upgrade kits werent a total disaster. What is the point of this post?
BGG is a truly diverse community. You can have people accusing you of suppressing opinions and people demanding reasons for posting your opinions on the same thread. whistle

The rulebook worked well enough. A "disaster" is hyperbolic and I don't see people on the forum saying they can't even play the game. Unless you want to say that it is as bad as First Martians where people couldn't even play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birkai Qutuz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laladien wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:

Honestly, almost every game I've read about has this problem and it's not relevant. Some people like it, some don't. Some will advocate for alternative games... and that's their prerogative.

In the end, enjoy your game and don't put thought into what others are saying against it. It's their opinion and they're entitled to it.
Judging by your words "their prerogative" and "entitled to it" you seem to think criticism or disagreement is tantamount to suppression.

It matters when I see hyperbole littering this forum. It also matters that people interested in the game see contrary opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:

For th most part, yes. The Kickstarter was not a disaster. A few misprints in the rulebook about color did not ruin the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracen Knight wrote:
Laladien wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:

Judging by your words "their prerogative" and "entitled to it" you seem to think criticism or disagreement is tantamount to suppression.

It matters when I see hyperbole littering this forum. It also matters that people interested in the game see contrary opinions.

I don't think I'd go as far as to say that it's "tantamount to suppression". That's hyperbole in an of itself, frankly. I think you're reading far too deeply into my sentiment.

My point is merely that it doesn't matter what one person truly believes - each person has an opinion and it is valid to them. Plain and simple. If you disagree, that's fine - there's no harm in that.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you here - are you talking more about people who are complaining about the game for more arbitrary reasons? For example, the people who hate the game because of the color scheme? If that's the case, I agree with you. That, I find to be somewhat annoying. Sure, it's an opinion, but they aren't giving the game a fair shake based on something that seems frivolous imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracen Knight wrote:

It does sadden me when I see so many Dinosaur Island posts really being a 'Dinogenics is better' post.

I bought 'all the things' in the recent Kickstarter (having never previously played Dinosaur Island), and have loved my 10 plays of Duelosaur, and my 9 plays of Dinosaur Island (one more play of Dinosaur Island and then I'll start mixing in some of the expansion).

I'm subscribed because I want to read posts about Dinosaur Island - if I wanted to know about Dinogenics I'd be subscribed there.

Of course I'd have been surprised if there wasn't an occasional reference or comparison review given their simnilar themes, but recently it feels like there's almost been more pro-Dinogenics comments here than pro Dinosaur Island.

I don't have Dinogenics, and do enjoy Dinosaur Island, so I find the above annoying - almost makes me want to unsubscribe.

Hopefully though it's just the result of Dinogenics getting to backers recently, and it will soon die down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a recent Secret Cabal review of Dinogenics and their opinion that the game was better than Dinosaur Island may have stirred things up.

I listened to the review and from what I heard the game mechanics were not the sort that I enjoy and so I came away happy that I had backed Dinosaur Island over Dinogenics, but each to their own and surely we should all be happy that this great hobby of ours is large enough to have two good dinosaur games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
You don't really want to do that. . .
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
I think a recent Secret Cabal review of Dinogenics and their opinion that the game was better than Dinosaur Island may have stirred things up.

I listened to the review and from what I heard the game mechanics were not the sort that I enjoy and so I came away happy that I had backed Dinosaur Island over Dinogenics, but each to their own and surely we should all be happy that this great hobby of ours is large enough to have two good dinosaur games.
TBH, this is no different than a lot of reviewers saying that Caverna KILLED Agricola for them and they would only play Caverna going forward. Doesn't at all mean that Agricola isn't a good game - and frankly reviewers are always going to be pre-disposed to "oooh shiney!" reactions anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Townsend Kaneversky
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I love Dinosaur Island and it is my top game! I have enjoyed playing it and to me, it is sad that the other dinosaur game is hijacking these threads! I do think it will simmer down in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birkai Qutuz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laladien wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:
Laladien wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:

I don't think I'd go as far as to say that it's "tantamount to suppression". That's hyperbole in an of itself, frankly. I think you're reading far too deeply into my sentiment.

My point is merely that it doesn't matter what one person truly believes - each person has an opinion and it is valid to them. Plain and simple. If you disagree, that's fine - there's no harm in that.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you here - are you talking more about people who are complaining about the game for more arbitrary reasons? For example, the people who hate the game because of the color scheme? If that's the case, I agree with you. That, I find to be somewhat annoying. Sure, it's an opinion, but they aren't giving the game a fair shake based on something that seems frivolous imho.
My only intention with this post is to provide a counterbalance to other posts like one that was made a little while ago disparaging the game and telling people to go get Dinogenics instead. It's their opinion. However, the problem on forums is that those with positive opinions are content enough to not post, whereas discontented ones tend to post a lot more. Overall, the game and KS have had a positive reception. Not without flaws surely, but positive overall.

For people looking into the game, it's nice to see positive posts which reflect what the majority are feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steffan kristensen
Denmark
Esbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have personally recommended a lot of DI players to try Dinogenics.But not because I think Dinogenics is a better game.

They're both good games, and gameplay wise they are quite different. Dinogenics is more of a traditional worker placement game, and it's far more competitive and "meaner" than DI. That may not be everyones cup of tea.

However, Dinogenics implements the theme way better, and gives you more of a "running a dino park" feel, wich is why I have recommended it to those who feel somewhat disappointed in that aspect of DI's gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JK777 wrote:
I think a recent Secret Cabal review of Dinogenics and their opinion that the game was better than Dinosaur Island may have stirred things up
Except they never said that at all, they said they preferred dinogenics. Mainly as the gameplay was more like what they wanted out of a dinosaur game, more player interaction etc

Jamie even said dinosaur island was the better designed and balanced game.

I own neither and have played neither so have no opinion either way so not defending my fav game or anything. Just getting the facts straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperJoeUK wrote:
JK777 wrote:
I think a recent Secret Cabal review of Dinogenics and their opinion that the game was better than Dinosaur Island may have stirred things up
Except they never said that at all, they said they preferred dinogenics. Mainly as the gameplay was more like what they wanted out of a dinosaur game, more player interaction etc

Jamie even said dinosaur island was the better designed and balanced game.

I own neither and have played neither so have no opinion either way so not defending my fav game or anything. Just getting the facts straight.
Thank you, and yes you are probably correct, now that I recall, they did speak in terms of preference. To be clear....

Jamie states "This game far exceeds other dinosaur games in terms of thematics, it's a better game thematically, the game play is just as good as Dinosaur Island]".

Perhaps you could have been a little more forgiving when correcting me. I did not intend to be malicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
"The show must go wrong."
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been vocal about disappointments.

I adore this game. I enjoy it thoroughly and it's always a game I bring to game nights with the hopes of getting it on the table.

That said, the KS was fraught with problems. Giving those of us who backed the extreme edition of totally liquid those terrible 'premium' executive meeples instead of the generic ones in player colors that retail got, the horrible changed water Dino meeples, the lack of the solo game we were promised, and the horrible card they offered instead of the updated phase 2 board they promised. It's a lot of disappointments and broken promises for a game I love so much. Maybe that's why I'm vocal about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people spend a lot of money and a long time waiting to get their stuff on KS, so when it arrives they often feel let down that it isn’t what they expected, so (understandably) they’re frustrated and vent.

I’ve backed quite a few campaigns now and some are a disappointment in not delivering what’s promised, or huge errors in the final product, especially one that got great reviews up front. I’ve accepted that as part of the risk/reward nature of backing now.

Personally, I love this game, the theme, the style and the KS content, but it’s not without its flaws. However, I don’t mind them and don’t mind muddling my way through it. Overall (to me) the good outweighs the bad.

Another example is TMNT shadows of past. The IP is something I love and it got some good reviews up front. I love it, but there are some horrific problems, particularly with the minis (using that term ironically for some characters). Still it’s been a regular fixture for me since I obtained it because it’s fun despite the issues.

Hang on you say, you’re just following Tom Vassell s reviews! Not true, I have seen them, but I don’t always agree with them. City of kings is one of my favourite KS ever and pretty much got slated by him. I won’t go into detail here, but I love it (if really interested have a look on that thread for my comments).

I loved the way the campaign was handled, but was really surprised at how good the rule books were and quality of components. However, to me the best thing was the gameplay itself, which had been lambasted by a number of people including some backers. In some cases because it wasn’t what they expected. It wasn’t what I expected either, but I love what it is, more than I expected to.

To me I’m resigned to the good, the bad and the ugly nature of KS. There are some that I’ve raged about too when I’ve had a bad experience, so I get it, but I think that’s why are often such black and white contrasting view between the lovers and haters.

As for this one I’m off to build some brightly coloured dinos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waters
United Kingdom
Blackwater
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm quite late to this but I was very vocal about being disappointed by certain things in the expansion kickstarter fulfilment.

I really enjoy the game, but am still incredibly disappointed by the bait and switch with the phase 2 board, the crappy executive pieces & the fact they STILL haven't supplied fixed cards from the first campaign.

I spent a lot of money on this game and largely it's the poor response from Pandasaurus that leaves a bad taste. I just want these minor issues fixed.

That said, it's a great game and all my whining isn't trying to take away from that. I think Panda should be proud of what they've made. Hopefully in future they'll react to issues like these in a more productive way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls