Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
N. P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Random thought... Since card backs don't really matter in Aeon's End, after 4 expansion waves, there might be enough randomizers for a pretty good Ascension style card river variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua N
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s actually a pretty cool idea! You might have issues pop up like gems not popping up early enough or too many expensive things. You can have a rule like if nothing is bought you may discard one card from the river, and then one per game round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mynameisthis wrote:
Random thought... Since card backs don't really matter in Aeon's End, after 4 expansion waves, there might be enough randomizers for a pretty good Ascension style card river variant?
What's the "river"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bartlett
msg tools
I don't know what this is, could you explain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreux Barbier
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have to preseed that deck with affordable "start cards" to help you get it of the basic cards. Some of those nemesis decks really ramp up fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin John
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
mynameisthis wrote:
What's the "river"?
There are two basic styles of deck builders: Dominion and Ascension. Dominion has a supply of cards to purchase that everyone has access to at all times. Aeon's End uses this method. Ascension has a 'river' of cards, a small selection of cards to buy from that changes after each purchase, drawn from a larger supply. Legendary also uses this.

The thing is, you don't need randomizers for this. You can already make a giant supply of 2-3 of every card, shuffle them all together, and make a river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would think so, but for my tastes, I have hated every deckbuilder or cardgame with a river, so I am lothe to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lakoda wrote:
I would think so, but for my tastes, I have hated every deckbuilder or cardgame with a river, so I am lothe to try.
I prefer markets too, but I can't deny that sometimes I just wanna shuffle and and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cajuntechie wrote:
You might have to preseed that deck with affordable "start cards" to help you get it of the basic cards. Some of those nemesis decks really ramp up fast.
Or you could try an epic variant, like in Thunderstone.

For example: separate the market cards by type, for each type create two decks - low cost and high cost. You can buy the top card of each deck, or pay a small, fixed amount to put the top card at the bottom of its deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪♪ These are a few of my favorite things ♪♪
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd need to pull some of the cards out if you were playing this way, I'd think. Some are designed to be better if you have multiple copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the question though, I absolutely think there are enough cards for a variant like this. As mentioned though, currency and spell cards are exclusive, so maybe have a smaller line of just gem cards and then the longer line of everything else. BTW, this variant sounds completely unbalanced, but might still be chaotic fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is definitely enough cards. Between the 2 core boxes and legacy (and expansions...) already out, there is enough to try this. I'm curious are you thinking of trying this variant for first plays or replays of specific nemeses? Also while I'm not an Ascension player does it take more time (effort, energy...) to keep up the supply? While AE isn't a long game if it drags out each nemesis then what is the point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
mynameisthis wrote:
Last I checked we had like 150 total up to Legacy included, so that's more than enough to d oa river-style game.

You might want to use Jade and Fire Chakram as always available to mimic the Heavy Infantry and Mystic and make sure you always have access to decent economy and damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
You might want to use Jade and Fire Chakram as always available to mimic the Heavy Infantry and Mystic and make sure you always have access to decent economy and damage.
Excellent idea, that's also how Star Realms works, with Explorers that are always available. I like that system. Will try it out in AE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F E
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I might consider using "Ancient Cyanolith" over "Jade"; simply because then they're both starter (Legacy) cards, as well as the fact that Jade is quite unique in it's niche.

I've been testing a variant (in TTS anyways) where...

1. I shuffle all the cards of each type (Gems/Relics/Spells) into single piles, and then deal out a single copy of 3 Gems, 2 Relics, and 4 Spells [similar to normal market setup].
1.1 Afterwards, each of these decks is placed FACE-UP, next to the market.
2. A player can purchase any of the market cards as per normal, replacing that card with a new one from it's appropriate deck; after purchasing.
2.1 A player may also purchase the top card of a FACE-UP deck, as though it were part of the market.
3. A player may spend 1 Aether to discard any card in the market, or discard the top card of any market deck (but not any market discard pile).
3.1. A player may also purchase the top card of a market discard pile, as though it were part of the market.
4. If a card refers to it's market supply pile; just resolve the text, if available (ie: if a card asks "if this cards supply pile is empty.. do x", then do X if none are available for purchase at that time).

I wanted to find a solution where a player could cycle cards from the market; as relics can definitely get stuck - I might just up the number of relics available... anyways; I should throw this all in it's own, separate thread, for discussion.

I'd love to use the randomizers as the driving force in a river market - but, without an easy way to shuffle them back into the deck after purchasing; it doesn't seem feasible for cards that benefit from multiple copies of themselves.

Some cards end up better or worse; but since it's not easy to get any card in particular when you'd like - it's generally a wash. "Fiery Torrent" is the only card that's particularly bothersome; since it requires so many copies to be effective. I always end up paying to discard it... I might just take it out of the equation entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls