Daniel Gómez
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Aquí irá una frase ingeniosa
badge
No me toques los meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
When a Monster species species with monster organs suffers atrophy, is reducing size mandatory or can you remove plus organs instead of reducing size?

Reading the rules (which I quote below) I think it is mandatory because of the several "the species size is reduced instead". But in the glossary in the section Atrophy Dwarfism it says that the species "can reduce" its size (quoted in bold below). This "can" makes me think that maybe the player has a choice so he/she can remove plus organs instead of reducing the size to get rid of the excess.

Quote:
D7e: Monsters. If a monster token suffers an Atrophy during mutagens, the species size is reduced instead. If it suffers an Atrophy at the minimum size (size 1), remove the monster token instead.

D8b: Monsters. If a monster token Atrophies during radiation, the species size is reduced instead, see “Atrophy”. If it suffers an Atrophy at the minimum size, remove the monster token instead. See J4.

J4: If a monster token Atrophies, e.g. during radiation or mutagens, the species size is reduced instead, see “Atrophy”.
From the glossary:
Quote:
Atrophy Dwarfism. If an Atrophy is taken from a monster (J4), instantly reduce the size of the Species to get rid of the desired number of cubes. This resize is instant and free. For instance, if a mutagen event with a dark heart 4 occurs, a size 6 megafauna with one monster token and one blue cube can reduce instantly to size 3 to get rid of its excess cubes.

Monster (E2d) is a token that represents a special Plus Organ considered to be multiple cubes, as many cubes as the Size Dice of the Species. If a Monster Atrophies, e.g. during radiation or mutagens, the species size is reduced instead, see “Atrophy”. A monster token cannot be removed unless it suffers Atrophy while the Species is at size 1. The monsters are Godzilla, Kong, Kraken, Dragon, and Yeti, with apologies to the monsters too many to mention.
Thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster token is not the same thing as a Species. The Species can choose where to apply Atrophy. If the Monster token is chosen it causes the Species to reduce in size unless already at size 1, in which case the Monster token is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gómez
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
Aquí irá una frase ingeniosa
badge
No me toques los meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
thelivekennedy wrote:
Monster token is not the same thing as a Species. The Species can choose where to apply Atrophy. If the Monster token is chosen it causes the Species to reduce in size unless already at size 1, in which case the Monster token is lost.
I know, I'll edit the original post to remove the ambiguity. So you think that the player has always the choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an option (but not necessarily required) to reduce the size in order to satisfy the atrophy. The rules you quote talk about how to atrophy if you choose to atrophy a monster token (reduce size first, then remove token if at size=1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls