4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: Conventions in Europe similar to PrezCon or WBC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Johnson
msg tools
Hello all,

This summer I may be moving from Charlottesville, VA (home of Prezcon) to Germany. I've really enjoyed Prezcon as a time to just play a lot of games at a competitive level, and I've heard that WBC is similar.

In contrast, Essen and other European conventions seem more like trade shows, focused on buying and selling games, industry talks, and presenting new products. Are there conventions in Europe similar to WBC that are more focused on competitive play of existing games, or is my assessment wrong? Thanks for any thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
VytautasTheGreat wrote:
Hello all,

This summer I may be moving from Charlottesville, VA (home of Prezcon) to Germany. I've really enjoyed Prezcon as a time to just play a lot of games at a competitive level, and I've heard that WBC is similar.

In contrast, Essen and other European conventions seem more like trade shows, focused on buying and selling games, industry talks, and presenting new products. Are there conventions in Europe similar to WBC that are more focused on competitive play of existing games, or is my assessment wrong? Thanks for any thoughts.
I've never heard of any, and don't think so. With WBC and PrezCon, and smaller cons (EuroQuest and four Congress of Gamers cons in Maryland), competitive gamers in the DC area of the USA are truly blessed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play wargames/Wings of War, etc., check out Hexacon in Braunfels, Germany. (This page mentions it: http://www.aresgames.eu/3835?fbclid=IwAR27BvkfDlbDs5oQ3tMvS-...). It is not exactly the same sorts of tournaments, but it is focused on gaming vs. selling.

UK Games Expo (https://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/news.php) ran some tournaments (Euro-type games only, I think) the last time I attended. Again, not like PrezCon or WBC but at least something along those lines. I liked it more than Essen, etc., though I was there before it got quite as big as it is now.

However, there is a reason that Europeans fly over to WBC :-)

PS: Send me a private message and I might be able to put you in touch with some game groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Matt, sorry to hear you might be leaving Central Virginia. Hope you can find the cons you’re looking for in Germany. I’ve certainly loved my trips to PrezCon and Euroquest and I’d be sad if they weren’t so close.

I’ve got a few games up for auction through BGG with delivery at PrezCon (or in Richmond, VA) in case you’re looking to add to your packing for Germany . Click here, if you’re interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls