Jesse Mayhew
United States
Florence
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
EXCELSIOR!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that the rulebook suggests starting with 'we need more samples', if you are new to the game, but I've found that scenario - while enjoyable - to not be that reflective of the game as a whole.

My wife and father-in-law (two non-gamers) have agreed to sit down and play DoW with me this Friday, since they are both huge fans of zombie/survival horror in fiction. I feel like this is my one and only opportunity to impress them and, if not convert them to gamers, at least make them more willing to indulge me in a game every now and then.

With all of that in mind, what would people suggest for a main objective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Gledhill
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you own the Long Night expansion as well?
If they are both non gamers, I'd suggest teaching them Pandemic first. Many of the co operative and turn elements are transferable with dead of winter and it's a simpler experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Too Many Mouths is the best short scenario that plays "like the real game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
I think Too Many Mouths is the best short scenario that plays "like the real game".
I've played both "Too Many Mouths" and "We Need More Samples" and I like them both. TMM feels more thematic and less random...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Mayhew
United States
Florence
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
EXCELSIOR!
mbmbmbmbmb
I unfortunately don't own a copy of The Long Night, though I have played it and I am a big fan. It does have some additional elements that might make it a bit longer to teach/more intimidating (i.e. bandits, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Mayhew
United States
Florence
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
EXCELSIOR!
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw 'too many mouths' suggested in a few other threads. Glad to hear that's a popular suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
I just played Leave It All Behind for the first time recently and I felt like it gave a good impression of facing down a zombie hoard. Too Many Mouths might be the better option though, but I just figured I'd throw it out there as for consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, we just played TMM and first crisis was sabotaged and turned the 7 helpless to unruly. Pretty much knew the game was toast after that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls