Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
64 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Thinking about getting into the LCG.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fearless factotum
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about diving into the AH LCG, and thought I’d pose a couple of questions to the BGG hive mind.

1 - With only two players do I need 2 core sets? And/or is it heavily recommended? (Was kinda hoping that with two player co-op I could avoid this usual LCG rules)

2 - Beyond the core set, what’s the first adventure or campaign to try? Or is there a set order to these things?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fearlessfactotum wrote:
Thinking about diving into the AH LCG, and thought I’d pose a couple of questions to the BGG hive mind.

1 - With only two players do I need 2 core sets? And/or is it heavily recommended? (Was kinda hoping that with two player co-op I could avoid this usual LCG rules)

2 - Beyond the core set, what’s the first adventure or campaign to try? Or is there a set order to these things?

Thanks!
Much debated as you might guess.

1) Need? No. Want? Yes. The Core some of the best cards in the game.

2) Dunwich and it’s cycle.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fearlessfactotum wrote:
Thinking about diving into the AH LCG, and thought I’d pose a couple of questions to the BGG hive mind.

1 - With only two players do I need 2 core sets? And/or is it heavily recommended? (Was kinda hoping that with two player co-op I could avoid this usual LCG rules)

2 - Beyond the core set, what’s the first adventure or campaign to try? Or is there a set order to these things?

Thanks!
1. A second core set is not necessary but it will give you more options when you build decks. Also some investigator pairings will not be possible with one core set.

2. Dunwich is probably the best option for your next campaign. Pretty straight-forward.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the game! I made a New Player FAQ, just for folks like you. Let us know if you have any other questions.
14 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. ARRRRRRRRRGHBRGARGLESNARGARGLERRAAAAARGH!

2. There is no set order in the sense of a mega-campaign that links campaigns together, so you are free to try any you wish. Campaigns are best played as a set in order. Campaigns are better for newer players than the Stand-Alones, and Chronological (i.e. Dunwich first) is as good a way as any.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I held off on the second core for a long time. Eventually I caved. Try it with one and see how you feel. The first thing you'll notice (with 2 players) is how you're restricted in what characters you choose due to overlapping cards. Two cores remedies this. You also can't really play with 3 or 4 people unless you have a second core.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sistani
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Buy one core. Play thru the 3 scenarios within.

2. If you like the game after playing thru the core set, buy the full cycle of The Dunwich Legacy, the deluxe expansion and all six mythos packs. If you then feel if you need another copy of some core set cards for deckbuilding, buy another core.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Thinking about getting into the LCG...."

...are about the most exciting and most horrifying words a person can say.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Hart
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
back-up dancer for the Muppets
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One core set is fine for solo to 2 players to experience the base scenarios.

If you need to play with 3-4 players, you will definitely need a second box.

If you enjoy the core scenarios, I would agree with others on here that Dunwich is a great next step.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
"Thinking about getting into the LCG...."

...are about the most exciting and most horrifying words a person can say.
.. because you know the inevitable core set question immediately follows?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
CasualToast wrote:
"Thinking about getting into the LCG...."

...are about the most exciting and most horrifying words a person can say.
.. because you know the inevitable core set question immediately follows?
Yes and I have misplaced my deadhorsebeating.gif
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fearlessfactotum wrote:

1 - With only two players do I need 2 core sets? And/or is it heavily recommended? (Was kinda hoping that with two player co-op I could avoid this usual LCG rules)
You don't. There are just a few player cards you need, that can be easily proxied.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
CasualToast wrote:
"Thinking about getting into the LCG...."

...are about the most exciting and most horrifying words a person can say.
.. because you know the inevitable core set question immediately follows?
Yes and I have misplaced my deadhorsebeating.gif
I think the more useful one would be whenwillsomeoneactuallystartgooglingthisstuffforfsake.gif
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
baba44713 wrote:
Ren3 wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
CasualToast wrote:
"Thinking about getting into the LCG...."

...are about the most exciting and most horrifying words a person can say.
.. because you know the inevitable core set question immediately follows?
Yes and I have misplaced my deadhorsebeating.gif
I think the more useful one would be whenwillsomeoneactuallystartgooglingthisstuffforfsake.gif
Have you met the internet before?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

I think the more useful one would be whenwillsomeoneactuallystartgooglingthisstuffforfsake.gif
You could use this or that
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
baba44713 wrote:

I think the more useful one would be whenwillsomeoneactuallystartgooglingthisstuffforfsake.gif
You could use this or that
This one would be even better (I might start using it tbh)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point I think we are actually a part of an ingenious Arkham Horror LCG metascenario where AI scripts periodically post threads about two cores, other AI scripts are relentlessly answering them in a universally polite and helpful fashion, and human BGG users are gradually going insane.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximilian Berbechelov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't understand - you guys are replying in a thread about being sick of replying to threads? Err.. okay? 50% of the replies are "OMG GOOGLE IT" which IMO is waaay worse spam than just a thread with a simple question. Since when are we the "OMG this is a forum, stop posting questions and go to google" kind-of-forum ... sigh.


OP, I bought my second core set 4 days ago after my and my gf decided we're not going for 2nd core set. You dont need it, but without it you're basically playing a demo version of a deck constructor - just get all the cards once and play with them.

You are playing a Guardian character with all guardian cards available and they take up only half of your deck. You use all the cards from another class as well and have a 50/50 deck that doesn't feel right.

So if you can afford it right off the bat - get two core sets and enjoy the game.

2. VERY IMPORTANT - Arkham is divided into cycles, which are comprised of one Deluxe expansion and 6 packs going with it.

The deluxe has 2 missions some investigators and lots of player cards and it starts off a campaign for you. Then there's 6 more missions in the same campaign distributed as Mythos Packs.

It is not mandatory that you play the Cycles in the order they've come out, but it is mandatory that when you start a campaign you play it's missions (and mythos packs) in order.

With that said, there's two caveats - first, The Dunwich Cycle is the first one, so it's better you start with it, makes sense.

There's a huge availability problem in my country and there's a chance there's the same in yours. FFG is bad when it comes to reprinting expansions for LCGs.

There's no Dunwich Deluxe and there wont be any time soon here, there's some of the packs (not all of them) and they are like 1 or 2 copies in stock and that's it. When you get into LCG long after it's released you're 50% playing it 50% going on a scavenger hunt.
10 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just get it... a question ive been asking and a well decided decision. buy it all!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How many Googles do I need?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1638098/buying-2-copies

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1680566/do-i-really-need-2-...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1663131/all-those-chaffing-...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1652568/do-i-need-2-copies-...

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/7j40dl/why_do_y...

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/285181-unwill...


Question 2

https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/7o0q55/how...

https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/9rltyo/bes...

https://www.reddit.com/r/arkhamhorrorlcg/comments/9051a4/do_...

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/8ugqy6/arkham_h...


At least this OP had the common courtesy to ask two incredibly redundant questions in one post. There is that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG really needs to have a sticky thread at the top of each LCG forum page titled, "How Many Cores Do You Need?"

Pro Tip: assuming you are not made of money;

1) try the single core

2) if you find you enjoy it and want more, buy all of the most current and completely available mythos cycle (expansion + six mythos decks).

3) If after playing a few adventures with that card pool you feel the need for a second core, search eBay from used copies - which often include additional earlier expansions and mythos decks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OurBG wrote:
Since when are we the "OMG this is a forum, stop posting questions and go to google" kind-of-forum ... sigh.
When it comes to the two core question? Ummm.. I would say right around the time 73rd thread about the subject showed up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al Cann
United States
Warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
OurBG wrote:
Since when are we the "OMG this is a forum, stop posting questions and go to google" kind-of-forum ... sigh.
When it comes to the two core question? Ummm.. I would say right around the time 73rd thread about the subject showed up.
Agreed, Branko. My personal rule is that I put my foot down at 72 ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OurBG wrote:
I can't understand - you guys are replying in a thread about being sick of replying to threads? Err.. okay? 50% of the replies are "OMG GOOGLE IT" which IMO is waaay worse spam than just a thread with a simple question. Since when are we the "OMG this is a forum, stop posting questions and go to google" kind-of-forum ... sigh.

There is also always someone complaining about the complainers.

Personally I thought we did well with three nice polite answers. Much better then normal.

Of course now the new trope will be people complaining about the people complaining about the people ..... about 2 cores. wow
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |