Minutus Games
United States
Harvard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A submission to the 2019 Two-Player PnP Game Design Contest.

Minute Diktator
Designers: Mark and Karl Schwiegershausen, Minutus Games
Vitals: 2 players, 10-15 minutes
Components: 20 Policy cards, 10 Pact cards, 15 tokens, 1 board
Reason to play: For all of you who have thought your opponent only won because they had a better deal...

The Great Leader is no more.

You and your perennial arch rival are vying to replace the Great Leader, but you must convince the Council of Five to back you. The Council is a shadowy group who collectively wield enough power to determine which of you will triumph.

To sway the Council members to back you, you will champion a series of polices. Each policy will earn approval from one of the council members, but simultaneously harm your standing with another.

Minute Diktator is a fast moving two player game where each player is dealt exactly the same lot (eventually), but must use strategy, deduction, and sometimes even bluffing to claim the mantle of Diktator.

May the Council be ever in your favor.

Minute Diktator Rules
Minute Diktator PnP file

Click here to play the Minute Diktator AI (if you don't have another person to play with at the moment)

Click here to play Minute Diktator on Tabletopia now (scroll down on the page a bit)

Note: one does not need to have a Tabletopia account or subscription to play Minute Diktator on it. You can log on as a guest to play with the cards solo, and you can email a link to the "room" you are in to a friend and then play together.

Video Overview:

Minute Diktator midgame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was curious about the AI-version, but on my pc it only shows half of the page. The right halve falls aside my screen. Pressing 'R' doesn't help.

How did you make the AI-version? Did you use PHP or another language? I just finalized my own project (FIKA) on Tabletopia (which I saw you did too, great job btw) and learnt a real lot from it. Now I wonder whether creating an AI-version is an achievable option or not (it's heavy programming, right?)

Btw: Once I've read through your rules, I'll check out your Tabletopia version and see how I like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to see the all policy cards in your hand on Tabletopia?

All I was able to see was the right-hand card, so it was hard to know what I was selecting.

hfninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minutus Games
United States
Harvard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Pieterfalun wrote:
I was curious about the AI-version, but on my pc it only shows half of the page. The right halve falls aside my screen. Pressing 'R' doesn't help.

How did you make the AI-version? Did you use PHP or another language? I just finalized my own project (FIKA) on Tabletopia (which I saw you did too, great job btw) and learnt a real lot from it. Now I wonder whether creating an AI-version is an achievable option or not (it's heavy programming, right?)

Btw: Once I've read through your rules, I'll check out your Tabletopia version and see how I like the game.

Hello Pieter,
Thanks for your interest.

Sorry to hear the AI version doesn't work on your browser. We have tested it on Firefox and Chrome - what are you using? One suggestion is to reduce the "magnification" of the browser (maybe try holding CTRL and scroll mouse wheel). I'm happy to try to get this to work for you.

We made the AI version to be able to demonstrate the game quickly. It's also nice to be able to play a quick game whenever. I wrote it in Processing, which I would NOT recommend for a number of reasons :-). My co-designer and I hope to make a better version in Unity soon.

The interesting thing about writing an AI is that you really have to think about the strategy of your game to teach it to a computer (harder than teaching a human :-). It can be a lot of work, but I found it very fun, and I think you understand your game better afterwards.

I noticed you offer to playtest your game on Tabletopia - maybe we can find a time to test each other's games together virtually.

Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minutus Games
United States
Harvard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
henry flower wrote:
Is there a way to see the all policy cards in your hand on Tabletopia?

All I was able to see was the right-hand card, so it was hard to know what I was selecting.

hfninja

Hello Henry,

Thanks for trying Minute Diktator out on Tabletopia.

I'm not sure I fully understand your question, but I will try to answer:

To start, you need to draw 8 cards from the deck into your hand. Your opponent does the same. Access the draw option by right-clicking on the pile of cards, select draw, and choose 8.

If it is working correctly, you should see all 8 cards appear along the bottom of your screen after you draw them.

If you can't see the left edges, run your mouse (hand) over the cards in your hand from left to right. Tabletopia puts whatever card you last "touched" on top, so going left to right puts the rightmost card on top, and you should be able to see the icons along the left edges.

If this is what you were already doing, please provide a bit more description of what you are seeing (or not seeing :-).

thanks!
Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom anonymous
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for making an AI version of this, I think that's a great move as I wouldn't have played it otherwise and I bet there's lots of people who will be in a similar position and will play this against the AI but wouldn't print it or play it on tabletopia (I have TTS but not tabletopia).

fyi I am using Opera v58 on Windows 7 and the website worked fine, no display problems.
Although it's not needed, it would be great if I could click on each of the cards in my hand to see the full card - I know the information I need is on the left of the card but only seeing this made me totally lose the theme of the game and I was 100% thinking Increase Blue, Decrease Green and not please the politician, annoy the populist.

I played 4 games, won 2 and lost 2. Each game must have taken 1-3 minutes but I didn't time them. I definitely had choices to make, particularly in the pact phase and I think it works nicely as a game, although as mentioned above, the theme was nowhere when I was playing. I'm not sure if seeing all the cards will really help this, or if it matters at all really.

I don't like that there is a significant memory component in this - I'm pretty sure that someone with a perfect/very good memory will be at a significant advantage in the second part of the game as they will know all the cards their opponent has. This is a totally personal/subjective thing and I don't think you can or should change the game design but it would put me off making (or buying) the game, I wouldn't get to play it much because I'd have too much of an advantage because of my memory, so I tend to avoid memory heavy games for that reason. Either that or we'd play open handed in the second half of the game.

I'm not sure how many plays it will hold interest for me, but I enjoyed the games I played against the AI and I'll almost certainly play some more, until I can beat the AI consistently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MinutusGames wrote:

I noticed you offer to playtest your game on Tabletopia - maybe we can find a time to test each other's games together virtually.

Karl

Good idea, why not set a date to playtest both our games

What about someday following week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MinutusGames wrote:

If you can't see the left edges, run your mouse (hand) over the cards in your hand from left to right. Tabletopia puts whatever card you last "touched" on top, so going left to right puts the rightmost card on top, and you should be able to see the icons along the left edges.

If this is what you were already doing, please provide a bit more description of what you are seeing (or not seeing :-).

thanks!
Karl

I can see the icons on the left edge of all the cards, and if I click on a card, I can select it. But nothing I do seems to change the card that appears on top (including running the mouse over the cards), so I can't see the policy name or image on any of the other cards. BTW, I'm using Chrome as a browser.

hfninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minutus Games
United States
Harvard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
henry flower wrote:
MinutusGames wrote:

thanks!
Karl

I can see the icons on the left edge of all the cards, and if I click on a card, I can select it. But nothing I do seems to change the card that appears on top (including running the mouse over the cards), so I can't see the policy name or image on any of the other cards. BTW, I'm using Chrome as a browser.

hfninja

Hi Henry,

This is how I see it working for me, and how I think it is supposed to work:

If you hover with your mouse over a card in your hand, it should rise up a bit and you should be able to see the whole card. Also, if you left-click and hold, you should be able to move it to a different place in your hand (without playing it on the table).

If you're wanting to see the card(s) closer up, once you have placed them on the table, you can double click on them and Tabletopia will display a larger version on screen.

Let us know if it's not working like this.

Thanks,
Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minutus Games
United States
Harvard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
renegade garou wrote:
Thanks for making an AI version of this, I think that's a great move as I wouldn't have played it otherwise and I bet there's lots of people who will be in a similar position and will play this against the AI but wouldn't print it or play it on tabletopia (I have TTS but not tabletopia).

fyi I am using Opera v58 on Windows 7 and the website worked fine, no display problems.
Although it's not needed, it would be great if I could click on each of the cards in my hand to see the full card - I know the information I need is on the left of the card but only seeing this made me totally lose the theme of the game and I was 100% thinking Increase Blue, Decrease Green and not please the politician, annoy the populist.

I played 4 games, won 2 and lost 2. Each game must have taken 1-3 minutes but I didn't time them. I definitely had choices to make, particularly in the pact phase and I think it works nicely as a game, although as mentioned above, the theme was nowhere when I was playing. I'm not sure if seeing all the cards will really help this, or if it matters at all really.

I don't like that there is a significant memory component in this - I'm pretty sure that someone with a perfect/very good memory will be at a significant advantage in the second part of the game as they will know all the cards their opponent has. This is a totally personal/subjective thing and I don't think you can or should change the game design but it would put me off making (or buying) the game, I wouldn't get to play it much because I'd have too much of an advantage because of my memory, so I tend to avoid memory heavy games for that reason. Either that or we'd play open handed in the second half of the game.

I'm not sure how many plays it will hold interest for me, but I enjoyed the games I played against the AI and I'll almost certainly play some more, until I can beat the AI consistently.

Tom,

Thanks for playing, and the great feedback. We're glad that the AI version enables folks to try it out quickly.

I agree that being able to click on a card to see it would be nice - the language it's written in doesn't make that easy, but I will work on it. Our Unity version (when available :-) would do this.

Our experience playtesting in real life is that some folks gravitate to the theme, and some just use the colors as more of an abstract game.

I'm interested in your (and others) thoughts on the role of memory in the Execution (3rd) phase. For what it's worth, the AI does not currently remember what it had in the first phase. I think it's helpful to remember generally what you had in the first hand (I try to remember how many of each color), but I don't think (so far) that it's an overwhelming advantage.

Playing openhanded in the Execution phase might be an interesting variant, as long as one could devise a mechanism to allow simultaneous card selection.

I have thoughts for how to make the AI stronger apart from memory, but have not implemented them yet. We might also make the level of AI selectable.

Thanks again for playing, and for the ideas/feedback.

Karl

PS: one does not have to own Tabletopia to play Diktator on it. You can log on as a guest to play with the cards, and you can email a link to the "room" to a friend and then play together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minutus Games
United States
Harvard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Pieterfalun wrote:
MinutusGames wrote:

Karl

Good idea, why not set a date to playtest both our games

What about someday following week?

Pieter,
Sounds good. What time zone are you in? I am EST in US, but am awake pretty late most nights :-)
Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MinutusGames wrote:
henry flower wrote:
MinutusGames wrote:

thanks!
Karl

hfninja

Hi Henry,

If you hover with your mouse over a card in your hand, it should rise up a bit and you should be able to see the whole card. Also, if you left-click and hold, you should be able to move it to a different place in your hand (without playing it on the table).

If you're wanting to see the card(s) closer up, once you have placed them on the table, you can double click on them and Tabletopia will display a larger version on screen.

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,

Hovering over a card in my hand does not cause it to rise up or display the whole card, and any clicking simply causes a card to be played.

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem?

hfninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minutus Games
United States
Harvard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
henry flower wrote:
MinutusGames wrote:
henry flower wrote:
MinutusGames wrote:

thanks!
Karl

hfninja

Hi Henry,

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,

Hovering over a card in my hand does not cause it to rise up or display the whole card, and any clicking simply causes a card to be played.

I wonder if anyone else has the same problem?

hfninja

It sounds like maybe you are playing the AI version and not the Tabletopia version?

The Tabletopia version would look something like this:

Does this look like what you are seeing?
Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MinutusGames wrote:
It sounds like maybe you are playing the AI version and not the Tabletopia version?

The Tabletopia version would look something like this:

Does this look like what you are seeing?
Karl

I think you are right! blush

But does that mean if I'm playing the AI version, I can't see the cards in my hand?

hfninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, I really like the artwork. It's a very cool vibe.

hfninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minutus Games
United States
Harvard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
henry flower wrote:
BTW, I really like the artwork. It's a very cool vibe.

hfninja

Thanks!

Yes, unfortunately in the AI version, at the moment you can't see the other 7 cards :-(. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the language that the AI is written is doesn't easily lend itself to card manipulation, etc. Hopefully we'll get the Unity AI version running soon. You can see them all in Tabletopia.

How has the AI version been working for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MinutusGames wrote:

I like the theme and I like the design. And for a while, I enjoyed trying to decipher the political situation that justified the costs and benefits of each policy.

But a lot of times it was tough to see the connection. (e.g., why would a military parade be really good for the populist and really bad for the general?)

I think it could add thematic/narrative depth if you included a brief note in the rules, describing the aim of each policy along with its costs/benefits.

But I realize the underlying values (+3/-2 or +2/-1) for each color are what matters for game play, so I was content to focus on the indicators on the side of the cards for my play test.

And that meant the AI version of the simulator was fine. And I’m glad it was available because it really helped me sort out how to play the game.

Learning the total cost/benefit for each color (+10/-6) helped me anticipate my opponent’s hand, though the four unplayed cards inserted a good amount of uncertainty.

I liked the cat & mouse feel of the interactions. The object really is to get enough “but not too much” influence with each Council member. And the game really delivers on the promise of “strategy, deduction, and sometimes, of misdirection and bluffing.”

I can beat the AI pretty consistently, so I feel like I understand the game; but even against the AI, every decision feels crucial, so there’s a lot of tension right from the start.

It's a fun game and very engaging.

But I have a couple suggestions (which you may take with a grain of salt).

The first is to consider making all the cards the same size (and integrate the square Council head cards into the game board -- I don't see the benefit of having them as stand-alone pieces).

The second is to consider converting the game board from a 10x12 grid into a 5x21 track with 0 in the middle. Something like this:

With this arrangement, you would only need half as many tokens (and I think it looks a lot more streamlined).

The idea would be to get the tokens onto your side of the track.

I know it would have an impact on the rules regarding minimum influence, but I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be.

Anyhow, something to think about.

hfninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minutus Games
United States
Harvard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
henry flower wrote:
MinutusGames wrote:

I like the theme and I like the design. And for a while, I enjoyed trying to decipher the political situation that justified the costs and benefits of each policy.

But a lot of times it was tough to see the connection. (e.g., why would a military parade be really good for the populist and really bad for the general?)

I think it could add thematic/narrative depth if you included a brief note in the rules, describing the aim of each policy along with its costs/benefits.

But I realize the underlying values (+3/-2 or +2/-1) for each color are what matters for game play, so I was content to focus on the indicators on the side of the cards for my play test.

And that meant the AI version of the simulator was fine. And I’m glad it was available because it really helped me sort out how to play the game.

Learning the total cost/benefit for each color (+10/-6) helped me anticipate my opponent’s hand, though the four unplayed cards inserted a good amount of uncertainty.

I liked the cat & mouse feel of the interactions. The object really is to get enough “but not too much” influence with each Council member. And the game really delivers on the promise of “strategy, deduction, and sometimes, of misdirection and bluffing.”

I can beat the AI pretty consistently, so I feel like I understand the game; but even against the AI, every decision feels crucial, so there’s a lot of tension right from the start.

It's a fun game and very engaging.

But I have a couple suggestions (which you may take with a grain of salt).

The first is to consider making all the cards the same size (and integrate the square Council head cards into the game board -- I don't see the benefit of having them as stand-alone pieces).

The second is to consider converting the game board from a 10x12 grid into a 5x21 track with 0 in the middle. Something like this:

With this arrangement, you would only need half as many tokens (and I think it looks a lot more streamlined).

The idea would be to get the tokens onto your side of the track.

I know it would have an impact on the rules regarding minimum influence, but I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be.

Anyhow, something to think about.

hfninja

Henry,
Wow, thanks for the great post.

Good idea about expanding on the narrative a bit. On the military parade, the thought was that the general would be unhappy about the expense and time away from work for the soldiers, while the populist would bask in the glory of such a display :-). However, some of the policy cards can be a bit of a stretch to make them fit thematically into the cost/benefit equation for the Council.

Regarding your suggestions:

The linear 5x21 track is attractive for the reasons you cite, but losing the "I have no influence in this color and therefore can't afford this card at the moment" would be a significant departure from the strategy. We like that you need to plan to have enough influence to pay for the cards you want, even in the second hand, and that if you cut it too close, you might not be able to make the play you want/need..

In the first protoype, all of the cards were the same size, but they would sometimes accidentally get mixed into the policy deck on cleanup after a game, so we made the Pact cards smaller.

The square council cards are meant to help indicate who has influence at the moment. One can choose to play without them and just see the standings from the influence tokens. I wonder if there is a way to integrate that indication into the game board to simplify?

Thanks again for playing, and the great feedback.

Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MinutusGames wrote:
The linear 5x21 track is attractive for the reasons you cite, but losing the "I have no influence in this color and therefore can't afford this card at the moment" would be a significant departure from the strategy. We like that you need to plan to have enough influence to pay for the cards you want, even in the second hand, and that if you cut it too close, you might not be able to make the play you want/need.

Yeah, I like that element of the game, too. In some ways, it's a dominant consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MinutusGames wrote:
I'm interested in your (and others) thoughts on the role of memory in the Execution (3rd) phase. For what it's worth, the AI does not currently remember what it had in the first phase. I think it's helpful to remember generally what you had in the first hand (I try to remember how many of each color), but I don't think (so far) that it's an overwhelming advantage.

I figured you'd need to remember (at least) the benefit totals of the colors you want to contest in the 3rd phase. So I'm surprised to hear that the AI doesn't need to.

But a lot of that information is sitting on the score board anyway. So I agree that perfect recall wouldn't be a definitive advantage.

hfninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Falun
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yesterday I had the opportunity to test both my own game FIKA and Karl’s game MINUTE DIKTATOR on Tabletopia. It turned out to be a very pleasant evening, so far the 2player pnp contest has brought me a lot of interesting discoveries and nice moments.

I must say Minute Diktator played really smooth from the start. Before our first game, I read the rules and quickly played a game against the AI-version, which seems to work flawless on my pc right now. In the first game, I didn’t have a real strategy and was pretty quickly beaten by Karl. In the second game I started seeing a path to build up my own strategy, which I consider a positive sign. My basic strategy was to maximally balance out the different cards (e.g. if one exchanges two blue for three green on one card, you can make it a win-win by playing a second card that costs 2 green but wins 3 blue). In the middle of the game, I had the impression I was leading. But then the second part of the game started and I decided to focus on the two pacts I made. That worked out pretty well to some extent. Yet, in the end my strategy failed as winning two colours (even the two pact colours) may not be enough in a game of five colours. Having lost the game twice against an ‘experienced rot’ (as we say in Dutch) seems a good feature of the game itself. Indeed, this game is a game with a learning curve in which one’s strategy and tactics decides who wins.

Some strengths of the game:

• It plays very quickly
• It’s easy to learn, but it seems hard to master. To me, that’s the kind of games I appreciate most nowadays (maybe because life is too hectic).
• It balances very well: eventually every player has the opportunity to play the same cards. Luck is not a dominant factor in this game.
• The game keeps its tension until the end: I really like the fact that in the second game I could have won, but lost eventually.
• It has variation: because one has to choose two pacts in the middle of the game, the focus of play changes during the game.
• It’s very interactive: “do you think what I think that you think I am going to play?”
• The game has an original theme and artwork on the cards: with some imagination the slanted card prints look like the covers of newspapers thrown on a table at the time of the cold war.

Some suggestions (of course they reflect my personal preference, so feel free to ignore them):

• If I were to create this game, I would make it more compact but I think that’s more of a personal choice. To me, the different tokens showing who’s winning on which track seem not necessary. Neither do they disturb me, but to make the game portable, I’d eventually try to turn the whole game into a card game with a minimum of tokens.
• I think the beauty of the cards ask for a counting track that is dressed up with some extra colours and hues.

That being said, this game shines in its brilliant simplicity: it’s not an easy game, but it plays very smooth!

To conclude, this game is definitely worth the try. During a game you have approximately 10 choices to make, so every choice counts. On the other hand, every choice your opponent makes has an impact on your next choice. Hence, you have to think and rethink your plans all the time. If you haven’t tried Minute Diktator yet, you can should playing against the AI right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minutus Games
United States
Harvard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Pieterfalun wrote:
Yesterday I had the opportunity to test both my own game FIKA and Karl’s game MINUTE DIKTATOR on Tabletopia. It turned out to be a very pleasant evening, so far the 2player pnp contest has brought me a lot of interesting discoveries and nice moments.

I must say Minute Diktator played really smooth from the start. Before our first game, I read the rules and quickly played a game against the AI-version, which seems to work flawless on my pc right now. In the first game, I didn’t have a real strategy and was pretty quickly beaten by Karl. In the second game I started seeing a path to build up my own strategy, which I consider a positive sign. My basic strategy was to maximally balance out the different cards (e.g. if one exchanges two blue for three green on one card, you can make it a win-win by playing a second card that costs 2 green but wins 3 blue). In the middle of the game, I had the impression I was leading. But then the second part of the game started and I decided to focus on the two pacts I made. That worked out pretty well to some extent. Yet, in the end my strategy failed as winning two colours (even the two pact colours) may not be enough in a game of five colours. Having lost the game twice against an ‘experienced rot’ (as we say in Dutch) seems a good feature of the game itself. Indeed, this game is a game with a learning curve in which one’s strategy and tactics decides who wins.

Some strengths of the game:

• It plays very quickly
• It’s easy to learn, but it seems hard to master. To me, that’s the kind of games I appreciate most nowadays (maybe because life is too hectic).
• It balances very well: eventually every player has the opportunity to play the same cards. Luck is not a dominant factor in this game.
• The game keeps its tension until the end: I really like the fact that in the second game I could have won, but lost eventually.
• It has variation: because one has to choose two pacts in the middle of the game, the focus of play changes during the game.
• It’s very interactive: “do you think what I think that you think I am going to play?”
• The game has an original theme and artwork on the cards: with some imagination the slanted card prints look like the covers of newspapers thrown on a table at the time of the cold war.

Some suggestions (of course they reflect my personal preference, so feel free to ignore them):

• If I were to create this game, I would make it more compact but I think that’s more of a personal choice. To me, the different tokens showing who’s winning on which track seem not necessary. Neither do they disturb me, but to make the game portable, I’d eventually try to turn the whole game into a card game with a minimum of tokens.
• I think the beauty of the cards ask for a counting track that is dressed up with some extra colours and hues.

That being said, this game shines in its brilliant simplicity: it’s not an easy game, but it plays very smooth!

To conclude, this game is definitely worth the try. During a game you have approximately 10 choices to make, so every choice counts. On the other hand, every choice your opponent makes has an impact on your next choice. Hence, you have to think and rethink your plans all the time. If you haven’t tried Minute Diktator yet, you can should playing against the AI right away.

Pieter,

Thanks very much for the thoughtful and detailed feedback. Glad you enjoyed the game. I really liked FIKA as well - the games have some similarities :-)

I agree with your feedback on the board - it would be desirable for it to be less plain and utilitarian.

We have had a number of discussions about the necessity of the tokens that indicate who is leading in each track. The rules say that experienced players can opt to not use them, but my co-designer and I still use them (even though we have played many games) after card 4 and beyond.

Let's play both games again soon.

Thanks again,
Karl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry flower
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MinutusGames wrote:
We have had a number of discussions about the necessity of the tokens that indicate who is leading in each track. The rules say that experienced players can opt to not use them, but my co-designer and I still use them (even though we have played many games) after card 4 and beyond.

Thanks again,
Karl

Have you explored the possibility of using dice to record the players' progress? For example, you could give each player four d10, which would be quite compact and very straight forward.
I know d10 are a little exotic, but maybe something similar could be done using standard d6. Anyhow, an option to think about perhaps.

hfninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Rukus Games
badge
Rukus Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this game last week with the designer (along with Floating Islands). I really enjoyed it as a quick, light strategy game. Seems like a great game to take with you to a coffee shop or somewhere and play a quick game. I do agree that there may be a few too many components with all the tiles for keeping track of things. I imagine it could come with a slider for each track for a more portable, cheaper option. I also don't feel like passing the cards back and forth to say that you're winning on a track is necessary. I really enjoyed that game overall, though, and can't really think of any aspect to the gameplay itself that I feel needs to be altered.

Thanks for taking the time to play these games! Sorry it took so long to post my comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minutus Games
United States
Harvard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
henry flower wrote:
MinutusGames wrote:

Thanks again,
Karl

Have you explored the possibility of using dice to record the players' progress? For example, you could give each player four d10, which would be quite compact and very straight forward.
I know d10 are a little exotic, but maybe something similar could be done using standard d6. Anyhow, an option to think about perhaps.

hfninja

Henry,
Interesting and original idea! My co-designer and I absolutely abhor dice, but in this application I guess we'd be using them in their benign phase :-).

For this to work, we'd need 10 dice lined up in a row. They'd need to come in pairs of 5 colors and each pair would need different colored pips to distinguish the players. In light of my allergy, I had to look up what a d10 would look like. Given their shape and the quantity, it seems like it might be a little fiddly, and it only reduces the component count by one (the board).

But, I will be at PAX East tomorrow and will see if I can find/buy enough to try it!

Thanks,
Karl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |