9 Posts

Spirit Island» Forums » Rules

Subject: "A Strange Madness Among the Beasts" minimum cost? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Saephan
msg tools
Guide the Madness
Cost: 3 Energy per Beast you decide to keep on the Island (min 3 Energy).
Aided by Animal.
- Remove any number of Beast.
- Each Spirit may Push 1 Beast to an adjacent land.

So, does the minimum 3 Energy cost mean that even if I didn't already have any Beast token on the Island, I'd still have to pay 3 Energy to choose this option?

Also, if I did have 1 Beast token on the Island and I choose to remove it, will I be required to pay 3 Energy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin R
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first question is academic - both options have no effect if there are no beasts, so you would choose the free one.

I believe you would have to pay in the second case, otherwise there would be no need to specify a minimum. This is likely to prevent a set of spirits with no beast synergy from just shrugging and removing all Beasts for free rather than losing potentially useful Dahan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Saephan
msg tools
So would the first case actually fall under "Meaningless Choice" rule pg 9 of Branch and Claw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
helloo wrote:
So would the first case actually fall under "Meaningless Choice" rule pg 9 of Branch and Claw?
no. The only thing I'm aware of falling under that rule is Outpaced when playing the Blitz scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb S

California
msg tools
mbmb
helloo wrote:
Also, if I did have 1 Beast token on the Island and I choose to remove it, will I be required to pay 3 Energy?
If you want to remove it without it having kill a Dahan on its way out, yes -- the card specifically states that if you pick the second choice, you have to pay a minimum of 3 Energy:

"Cost: 3 Energy per [Beast] you decide to keep on the island (min 3 Energy)."

So if (for example), you had just one Beast on the board, it was in the same land as a Dahan, and you didn't want the Dahan killed, you would have to pay the 3 Energy; you couldn't just "choose" the 2nd option and pay no Energy to have the Beast removed for free because the 2nd option explicitly requires a minimum Energy payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hixon
United States
Sorrento
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a related question on that event.

For the token section of the event, it says each [Beast] destroys 1 [Explorer]. I assume that means it kills an explorer in the same land as the beast token, right?

If there are no explorers in the land with the beast token, can it kill an explorer in a neighboring land or anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pureka

Massachusetts
msg tools
bhixon wrote:
I have a related question on that event.

For the token section of the event, it says each [Beast] destroys 1 [Explorer]. I assume that means it kills an explorer in the same land as the beast token, right?

If there are no explorers in the land with the beast token, can it kill an explorer in a neighboring land or anything?
Stuff only happens in adjacent lands if something specifically says so. Otherwise, yes, stuff like this is restricted to the land where the beast is. (So moving beasts into lands with explorers is often a good plan)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhixon wrote:
That's correct. See the last bullet point on p. 8 of the Branch & Claw rulebook: pieces only affect their own land unless explicitly specified.
bhixon wrote:
No, per the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Saephan
msg tools
Thanks for the responses. Cleared up my confusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls