Arek
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone in Europe is wanting to sell a copy of either expansion (English version only), in good condition, please let me know by PM.
I have Pegasus and would like to try the others, as I hear they are both better.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I´m in a similar boat, but under a different flag. I´m looking for the german versions, but the prices... gulp
Looks like I´ve to stay with the base game, but reading all the comments about the two later expansions I often feel that the base game is uncomplete and I´m missing so much this way.

Good luck btw. Hope you´ll find it for a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the only "necessary" expansion is Exodus - the Cylon Fleet board makes the game so much better.

Everything else is "take it or leave it" to me, although the improved minis and the extra characters are nice to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xorsyst_uk wrote:
In my opinion the only "necessary" expansion is Exodus - the Cylon Fleet board makes the game so much better.
I strongly disagree with this and feel the CFB completely ruins the game. Find someone who has it or play in a PBF here on the geek and try it out before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hannay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
xorsyst_uk wrote:
I strongly disagree with this and feel the CFB completely ruins the game.
So it's fair to say we both feel it's the most dramatic change to the base game. I'd like to explore in more detail if that's ok - I'm not trying to win you over, I just want to understand your position.

To me it's good because it reduces the randomness of cylon appearances and allows a more strategic play. It gives more relevance to piloting, as you can't just run away - you need to deal with problems or you're just building them up for later.

It also gives the revealed Cylons some more to think about, as otherwise that's a fairly boring position to be in.

What about it do you feel makes it ruin the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may, I'd like to give my point of view. To me the CFB overemphasizes the military aspect of the game and weakens the aspect of unknown loyalty, paranoia and hidden sabotage. BSG is not a space combat simulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
umbaci wrote:
If I may, I'd like to give my point of view. To me the CFB overemphasizes the military aspect of the game and weakens the aspect of unknown loyalty, paranoia and hidden sabotage. BSG is not a space combat simulation.
All of that, especially the bolder part.

Plus it doesn’t actually give cylons more to think about, it just encourages them to reveal immediately and then spam tracks and damage and do nothing else. It makes revealed cylons even more boring, and removes most incentives to stay unrevealed.

As for the humans, I don’t like the predictability of the fleet arriving. They shouldn’t know when it is about to jump in. I vastly prefer the unpredictable nature of the attack cards, plus each card’s special rules!

I do recognize the base game can have the fleet be a little too unpredictable to the point of swingyness. I usually will remove all but four of the attack cards and then do pandemic style seeding. That is usually the right amount of unpredictability that is balanced enough to avoid five attack cards stacked together for a complete destruction or a boring journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
I do recognize the base game can have the fleet be a little too unpredictable to the point of swingyness.
The base game can be "solved" by Scouting, and jumping away as fast as possible, leaving time and resources for searching the the cylons and fighting over titles. Have Roslin, Boomer, and someone to Scout and you could go the whole game without a cylon attack crisis.

BSG with all expansions is more of a resource management game. And we much prefer it that way. (And it's not just combat.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
jumping away as fast as possible, leaving time and resources for searching the the cylons and fighting over titles.
Jumping at -3 gets dangerous too often. And I think searching for the cylons and fighting over titles can be some of the best parts. Is Zarek seizing the presidency because he is convinced that Roslin is a Cylon, or is he actually the cylon?

Anyway, exactly hits my point that the expansions (especially Exodus) are very dependent on the players' preferences and play style. Try before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
downeymb wrote:
I do recognize the base game can have the fleet be a little too unpredictable to the point of swingyness.
The base game can be "solved" by Scouting, and jumping away as fast as possible, leaving time and resources for searching the the cylons and fighting over titles. Have Roslin, Boomer, and someone to Scout and you could go the whole game without a cylon attack crisis.

BSG with all expansions is more of a resource management game. And we much prefer it that way. (And it's not just combat.)

I think BSG with all expansions is an action management game.

The core game is resource management, more importantly, hand management.

@A1bert - When you have played the Base Game, do you play with Base Game Caprica?

I don't think the "Base Game" is solved by a longshot, sure, sometimes you get a superhuman team composition that steam rolls the Cylon team. But, more often than not, the Cylons have a bunch of means to cause a large amount of Skill Card losses (via Brig/AQ and, most importantly, Caprica) that results in the Humans losing by Fatigue.

Not to mention digging through the Crisis deck at an accelerated rate to hit the Crises with forced resource losses: Declare Martial Law, Rescue the Fleet, Rescue Mission (2x), Riots (2x), Food Shortage (4x). Not to mention the mandatory Fuel loss (combined with Morale loss) the Base Game destinations deal to Galactica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm,

So maybe one of you guys who thinks that any one of the latter expansions ruins their game, would be willing to part with it for a reasonable price?

All this discussion is just frustrating me even more that I can't get them for anything under like a gazillion Euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Base. GAME.
mbmbmbmbmb
ArekKowalczyk999 wrote:
Hmmm,

So maybe one of you guys who thinks that any one of the latter expansions ruins their game, would be willing to part with it for a reasonable price?

All this discussion is just frustrating me even more that I can't get them for anything under like a gazillion Euros.

Uhhh, my dog already ate my CFB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArekKowalczyk999 wrote:
Hmmm,

Sorry for hijacking your thread. modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArekKowalczyk999 wrote:
I only have Exodus.

I strongly encourage you to join a BSG PBF game here, they start fairly frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls