War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Choice of the FSP position when revealed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Bol
France
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I am new here, I’ve just bought WOTR 2nd édition and read posts on this forum to better understand rules and strategies before teaching them to a friend and starting my first game. So, sorry if my question is stupid

There is still something mysterious for me: I understand that, when the FSR is revealed by a successful hunt, the FP player has to update the position of the FSR according to the number of moves done from the last known position. I understand that he can choose the new position, without specific constraints on the path chosen. I also understand that, if the route goes through a SP stronghold, there are many drawbacks. As an example, I read on ARES website (Strategy article #4) : “The worst possible scenario is if you are revealed and you must end the Fellowship’s move in Moria. This will generate Hunt re-rolls for the Shadow as well as another additional Hunt tile draw if you are revealed again when you try to sneak out.”

So I don’t understand... why would the FP player choose to stop the FSP in Moria if this is such a bad choice? Why do ARES write “you MUST end the FSP in Moria”? Can’t the FP player just decide to stop the FSP just before Moria, of choose another route?

Thank you for your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
They can choose another route. Moria is the shortest route, though so in some plays the FP may feel like they "must" go there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb

There are different ways to reveal where the fellowship is.

Declaring, the fellowship player may declare in the fellowship phase.

Besides cards effects you can be revealed by a succesfull hunt. In that case you cannot declare in a free people stronghold or city.
So for example, say the fellowship marker is next to moria. The fellowship track is on 0. You love the fellowship and get revealed, what would you do, go back, stay there or go further? If you go to moria you draw an additional hunt tile.
In the next move of the fellowship, shadow has a reroll because of the stronghold (maybe more if there are troops and/or mazgul there). And if revealed, shadow draws another hunt tile.

Because of that, moria is indeed not the finest place to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Bol
France
flag msg tools
RezardVareth wrote:
They can choose another route. Moria is the shortest route, though so in some plays the FP may feel like they "must" go there.
OK, it’s now clear to me: the FP can choose the route, but for some reason (such as quick SP military successes) he may decide that he has no choice but going through Moria to avoid a defeat.

Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmb
There’s a lot of reasons you may want to go through Moria. It shaves 3 moves off the Fellowship’s path to Mordor. 3 moves is almost a full turn worth of dice.

You may also do it deliberately to empty some chits out of the Hunt bag. In a recently play, the SP rolled a 6 on my 3rd move. They drew a hunt tile and it was a 1-value tile that revealed me. I still had Gandalf The Grey as a guide + a Will Of The West die result, and it felt silly to sacrifice Gandalf to block 1 corruption. So, I revealed in Moria, which allowed a second hint tile to be drawn. By chance, the SP drew a 3-value. I sacrificed Gandalf, hid myself on the next action, and summoned Gandalf the White.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philcampeau wrote:
So, I revealed in Moria, which allowed a second hint tile to be drawn. By chance, the SP drew a 3-value. I sacrificed Gandalf, hid myself on the next action, and summoned Gandalf the White.
just as the book intended^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
So, I revealed in Moria, which allowed a second hint tile to be drawn. By chance, the SP drew a 3-value. I sacrificed Gandalf, hid myself on the next action, and summoned Gandalf the White.
just as the book intended^^
It really amazes me how the better I get, the more thematic the game seems. You'd think it would start boiling down to mechanisms, but no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Bowen
Canada
flag msg tools
philcampeau wrote:
There’s a lot of reasons you may want to go through Moria. It shaves 3 moves off the Fellowship’s path to Mordor. 3 moves is almost a full turn worth of dice.

You may also do it deliberately to empty some chits out of the Hunt bag. In a recently play, the SP rolled a 6 on my 3rd move. They drew a hunt tile and it was a 1-value tile that revealed me. I still had Gandalf The Grey as a guide + a Will Of The West die result, and it felt silly to sacrifice Gandalf to block 1 corruption. So, I revealed in Moria, which allowed a second hint tile to be drawn. By chance, the SP drew a 3-value. I sacrificed Gandalf, hid myself on the next action, and summoned Gandalf the White.
Wow, this is pretty ingenious. I'm still rather new (only about 10 games) and the thought to try to deliberately empty out the hunt bag never occurred to me at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philcampeau wrote:

Phil, nice job using Moria to your advantage. The sooner GtW and Aragorn appear in the game, the greater the FP's chance to win. However, I believe moving through Moria only shaves 1 move off of the Fellowship's path. If you take the High Pass route, then it takes the Fsp 11 moves to get to Mordor, instead of 10 if you take Moria. Saving one move is definitely still beneficial, but not quite as good as the 3 moves you suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Neldog23 wrote:
philcampeau wrote:
Phil, nice job using Moria to your advantage. The sooner GtW and Aragorn appear in the game, the greater the FP's chance to win. However, I believe moving through Moria only shaves 1 move off of the Fellowship's path. If you take the High Pass route, then it takes the Fsp 11 moves to get to Mordor, instead of 10 if you take Moria. Saving one move is definitely still beneficial, but not quite as good as the 3 moves you suggest.
We're both wrong. It's actually two moves. High Pass goes

1. Rivendell
2. Fords Of Bruinen
3. High Pass
4. Goblin's Gate
5. Old Ford
6. Gladden Falls
7. Dimrill Dale

while Moria goes

1. Rivendell
2. Fords Of Bruinen
3. Hollin
4. Moria
5. Dimrill Dale

Thanks for pointing out the error though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try taking the high pass to old forest road and then down South of Dale. 11 total moves instead of 10 through Moria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:
Try taking the high pass to old forest road and then down South of Dale. 11 total moves instead of 10 through Moria.
Thanks for further explaining, Jason. I should have been more clear in my initial post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:

Ah true. I was really just counting the two alternate paths to Dimrill Dale.

So many things to consider in this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls