Subject: How do you store your expansion sets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kaiakai
Estonia
Tallinn
Harju County
flag msg tools
I'm mostly asking in regards to Dixit, but curious about other games as well. So far I have kept my decks separate. I've thought about mixing them up, but the thought of that causes me some anxiety

Do you keep your expansion sets separate or do you mix them in with the original or base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the expansion adds new game elements, changes etc. (one example Catan - Cities and Knights) then use I keep separate.

If they are just more cards like dixit I think I would mix them together, assuming they fit in box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Dixit specifically I mix them together no reason not to IMO.

For big box games I generally try to put the expansion into the main box maybe in separate baggies for easy inclusion/exclusion depending on who I'm playing with. I usually exclude an expansion if I'm playing with new players. This does leave me with the problem of what to do with the empty expansion boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count of Tuscany
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Depends on the game, but I mostly store the expansions in their respective boxes. For the games with expansions I own (Catan, Memoir '44, Dominion) It is hard to fit in expansions in the box, which is unless I remove inserts, but I prefer using the inserts.
The only game I store an expsnion with the game itself is Star Realms. I removed the authority cards from the 'box' (I use an app to track authority) and fit the Gambit cards in. Works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Frank
Germany
Würzburg
flag msg tools
mb
Depends on the game but most of the time I try to store any expansions in the base game box. I have no qualms throwing out original inserts to make room and I have no qualms throwing away expansion boxes. For some games I specifically bought custom inserts to make everything neat.

Regarding Dixit: I own original Dixit as well as Dixit: Odyssey and about 6 or so expansions. All of the cards from all of them are mixed up in the Dixit: Odyssey box. I kept the original Dixit box because there are still components in them but I'm thinking of getting rid of it as it's just taking up space. I've thrown out all the expansion boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Earlybath wrote:
I prefer to keep the different drawing styles in separate decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith R
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are going to get different advice from different people. Heck I was one of them above

But maybe here is the best. Do whatever you want to do. They are your games. That is one of the best things about having stuff. They are yours. And even with cardboard and plastic that can be a very personal thing.

If you don't want to combine sets don't. It shouldn't cause you anxiety, and if mixing them does then don't do it.

If it matters I'm the same with inserts. I can't stand the thought of throwing them away. The one game I removed it from (memoir 44 to fit cards once sleeved) I actually kept the insert. Still have it. In my basement. For who knows what reason.

My friend tosses almost every non useful one immediately. Drives me insane but he does.

My point is do what you want. I know that sounds basic but in today's society so many people don't in general

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep all of mine separate. I'm just one of those people that can't face mixing things up and throwing stuff out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always mix it in, and bin the expansion boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really depends on the game and Expansion.

Champions of Midgard, we keep the expansion cards separate as we don't tend to play with both expansions at the same time.

Lords of Watersdeep - same as above

Stone Age/Carcassonne - would never play without the expansions so bundled all together

Small expansions, Castles of Burgundy, Raiders of the North sea and similar would have them all mixed in

Other card based games (Star Realms) tend to mix them all in.

But when it comes to the boxes, I cant bear to bin them so I keep them.....empty whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
For Dixit I mixed them altogether in stacks of 100 cards, since that's what seemed to fit into the box nicely. I think I have everything up to the last expansion in there. Need to come up w/ another solution... or just stop buying the expansions whistle

For other games I generally try to get the expansion into the main box itself. If it gets too large (Xenoshyft, Among the Stars, original Legendary for example) I'll use a plastic bin. Games w/ lots of minis I usually revert to some sort of Plano box. The one odd ball that comes to mind off hand is Race for Galaxy... for that I bought new copies of the base game to store in the expansion box since some of them are mutually exclusive blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhsa wrote:
Earlybath wrote:
I prefer to keep the different drawing styles in separate decks.
You are, of course, welcome to do that. I prefer, not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Schulz
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I store my expansions on my shelves, along with the rest of the board game collection.

In all seriousness though, if there's room then I'll take the components of the expansion and store them in the main box. Shelve space is premium and thus expansion boxes are sent to die in the wilderness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (PLAYER)
badge
My first children's fantasy novel EL DRAGÓN DE VAPOR (illustrations by Marcos Toledo Porras)
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game and the expansion.

In the case of card based games I usually integrate everything and put it in the base set box if possible. I am thinking, for example, of Thunderstone Advance: Worlds Collide and Thunderstone Advance: Into the Abyss or The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game and all its expansions.

I also have all Runebound (Third Edition) expansions cards and figures in the base set box (with some custom insert, plus some plastic organizer boxes for the tokens).

There are other games, however, where I keep the expansions in their boxes (though the components are not necessarily stored the way they were originally packed). I am thinking, for example, of Scythe where I keep all player mats in the Invaders from Afar box and the wooden pieces, once more, in plastic organizer boxes.

The game I have more expansion boxes for is, without doubt, Zombicide: Black Plague (and Zombicide: Green Horde). Currently 5 big boxes, plus NPC 1, Hero Box 1, four Guest Artist boxes, and the Benson small box (plus two organizer boxes for tokens). Though the hero, zombie and equipment cards are all together in the Wulfsburg box with a custom insert, I keep all boxes with their plastic inserts to protect the miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Isenor
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For dixit I have them all mixed into the base box (though the thought that I'll never be able to separate them does bother me). I think I only have about 3 expansions. I made a custom insert like a # shape (6 comparments) to keep them in piles that I shuffle up from time to time.

For Carcassonne, I used to keep the expansion tiles separately, but included the useful stuff like extra colour meeples, draw bag, and 50/100 tiles in the base box. Just recently I bought the broken token wooden insert and that fits all the expansions I have. I have yet to get rid of the empty expansion boxes... that will be a sad day that I feel is coming soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Bauwens
Belgium
Eeklo
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it also depends on what type of game/expansion.

I've placed Viticulture: Moor Visitors Expansion in the Viticulture Essential Edition box, but kept Viticulture: Tuscany Essential Edition separate. Mostly storing conveniences but also just to quickly know what to pick.

Elder Sign & Eldritch Horror, I keep the expansions apart except for the one expansion that adds just more standard stuff to the base game.

Dixit expansions I keep separated, mostly because of the art-style of every box, and because you can't see which cards are from which expansion. If that was possible, I'd have them all together.

Stuff like new characters for Super Dungeon Explore just go in the big box, unless it's a big expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game I have that has expansions, I consolidate down to the base box. Often there are indicators of what is an expansion item so if I want to separate it out I can. Usually if there isn't, I don't want to do that anyway--I bought & added the expansion for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sounding like a broken record, it depends. Usually I try to store everything in one box.

If it's expansion content I think I'll always play, I mix it in with the base set. For Viticulture Essential Edition I still have it and Tuscany in separate boxes, but I keep the Tuscany parts I'll ALWAYS play with in the base box. Namely the 4 Seasons board and advanced guests.

If an expansion introduces a mechanism I won't always play with, I usually store everything related to that in one bag in the base box.

If it's something crazy like Dominion, I have everything in one giant BCW 5,000 count box, sorting everything by first by expansion then by card name, and using dividers to quickly find the cards I want to use.

It's only if the expansion is too large to fit in the box that I'll keep the expansion box around and keep it on the shelf with the base game. Rising Sun and Conan both come to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When I can afford, I try and get a retrofit insert so I can fit more than the base game. I am seeing more options for these online at Etsy, Pinterest, and here on BGG.

Ascension, Legendary, Dominion, DC Comics I have inserts from Broken Token to put a couple sets into one box. I still keep the original expansion boxes empty, just in case I have a need down the line.

Star Realms, I have a few collections and intend to store in one box, once I get it but like to keep dividers in to separate expansions so I can choose to add if I want.

Ones like Carcassonne or King of Tokyo - like someone else said....why wouldn't you want to play then all? So all mixed in one.

Clank - I had the base and one expansion, I put into the main box using an insert from Broken Token again that holds the cards, just not all the boards. I may have to reconsider once I get Clank in Space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clank in Space is a standalone game. Why would you put in the Clank box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
For Axis and Allies I use empty margarine plastic bowls to hold the pieces in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Hatecraft

Grand Forks
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmb
I reserve the bottom shelf of my 4 x 4 Kallax shelf for four tote boxes. In these I put small games and expansion boxes. To maximize space, I try to put the empty expansion boxes inside boxes to save space like a bunch of Russian dolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others already stated, it depends on the expansions.

If the expansion comes with a nice box of its own (in contrast to blister packs, like for example the expansions for Battlelore 2nd ed.), I usually keep them.
And altough I'd prefer to somehow fit them in the base game box, I rarly succeed in doing so. (But sometimes it works, for example the Horned Rat expansion for Chaos in the Old World, or the expansion for XCOM)

So, most of the times I store the expansions right on top of their respective base games. I have to admit, since expansion boxes are usually smaller in size, this isn't always pleasing to the eye, but then again, this has the benefit of preventing me from stacking too many boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
(Süd-)Hessen, "Piratosoph" https://twitter.com/Gernot_Koepke
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try always to do all stuff from an expansion into the base game box, like in AFFO (A Feast for Odin), Agricola, Fields of Arle, Shadows over Camelot, Scythe, Puerto Rico, Terra Mystica or Robinson Crusoe, even if I need to remove an inlay.
Sometimes this does not work, like in Viticulture or ticket to train. So I need than also the extra box. In case of Viticulture a well done one.
Some of these expansion boxes I use for prototypes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
I mix together if they fit. In fact, many inserts for games with expansion will facilitate the expansion. Cosmic encounter is a good example.

I painted all the minis for Mice & Mystics so all minis for the base game and both expansions are stored in a foam insert in the base game box. All tiles/card are in the Downwood Tales box. So mixed together but in multiple boxes.

All of the Dead of Winter games/expansions are combined into the base game box, except for the cards which are in a separate plastic box specifically designed for large decks of cards.

I think the only games I have where the expansions are separate are Blood Rage and 5 Tribes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |