Hide
4 Posts

Mortain Counterattack: The Drive to Avranches» Forums » General

Subject: Very disappointed in the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rifleman Dodd
msg tools
Just incomplete. I have chits with no explanation of their use. You can cross a river using a bridge unless it has been demolished but no word on how a bridge might be destroyed or rebuilt and the folder indicates it can be played solo. I sure would like to know how. That is all I can think of right now.

Anybody got any insight in to my problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Not unusual to see such gaps in rules in this series.
The Scheldt folio game had such bad and incomplete rules that they actually suspended sales of it for a bit while updated rules were prepared.
Fixed some of the problems; I don't think they have had any other folios as bad.

DG makes e-rules available on their website, this version is from October 2015 - I don't have the game so I don't know if these issues have been addressed:

http://decisiongames.com/wpsite/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/M...

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rifleman Dodd
msg tools
Thanks for your response. The e-rules are the same as the printed version.

I don't think I will ever buy another one. Pretty shabby workmanship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Some folios are better than others.
I'm not sure which chits are giving you a problem; I don't have the game but maybe could help.

Bridges: some of these things you just have to house rule.
Considering the time frame of the game is little more than a week, it's perhaps best to assume no bridges get rebuilt across the See River (which is a pretty substantial river).
As to which ones might be demolished, I see two generic-looking markers on the countersheet and I assume none are marked demolished on the map.
Maybe you could allow the German player to demolish two bridges of his choice at the beginning of the game (that is, place those two counters before the game starts), to give him a bit more of an advantage in limiting US countermoves.

As for solo play, it is pretty easy to take both sides because there is no hidden information or secret decisions (that's what they mean by solo play, there is no AI or 'bot to use, there never is).
Even more so because you choose the fire support markers at random (which you should always do with these games, and ignore 8.1 in the standard rules).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls