Hide
8 Posts

Eldritch Horror: Masks of Nyarlathotep» Forums » General

Subject: Suitable as a first big box expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Harris
msg tools
Hey, I love the small box expansions for Eldritch Horror and own all of them - thematically I always loved the global scale of EH and so I'm not hugely drawn to sideboards increasing the game time and board size. Masks seems to bolster the core game more than the other expansions - double the usual number of encounter cards, the new resources mechanic which I really like in concept, and personal stories.

I'm just wondering whether it would make sense to get this one first, before Pyramids or Dreamlands or Mountains. I've heard that some parts like Preludes/Adventures and obviously the Personal Stories kinda play on having the other big boxes already, but with everything else in mind it seems like I might be getting more value for replayability and standard playthroughs. Feel free to give opinions on which box you would get first! cool

(And fear not, I'll eventually succumb to getting all of them. The Dreamlands and Pyramids theme really tickle me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend getting Masks last, after the other big boxes. I like the expansion, but it definitely feels like a final, let's throw in whatever is left, kind of expansion. IF the idea of sideboards really don't appeal to you though, then I would go ahead and get it. The sideboards don't necessarily increase play time, just provide new locations to explore. Dreamlands has the best sideboard implementation, and I think Pyramids has the best Ancient Ones and theming of the big boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Jamie. Where did you get the idea from that the sideboards add playtime?
Simply: they don't. Playtime is mostly influenced by the Ancient One. (Granted, the longest AO is with the Antarctica sideboard)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masks was my first big box after the small expansions. I had the same thoughts as you and never regretted it. Go for it I say! Loads of fun, and all the mechanics introduced from all the other expansions are all there plus resources. Some say they felt resources were tacked on, but as I experienced them earlier I don't feel that way at all and those definitive round cards really helped. Those extra gates are invaluable too on spaces 3, 8 and 13, R'lyeh, Atlantis and Hyperborea respectively, very thematic! I then went Dreamlands, Pyramids and Mountains last. Love the whole system, but so glad I experienced it all that way round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Harris
msg tools
Interesting to hear from someone who experienced it that way round. And yeah having places like Rl'yeh and Atlantis feel more like actual locations with gate representation is cool. I definitely prefer to add 'density' to the main board than add additional locations since I play with fewer investigators and so often I can't visit everywhere anyway. That was also my experience with Talisman and sideboard bloat.

I think the only sideboard that really "made sense" for me was Dreamlands since it's really another world, and the mechanics of getting there are pretty cool. I will probably get that after Masks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you about the sideboards, Dreamlands is the other world which is relatively easy to go to and from, whereas Pyramids and Mountains are zoomed in locations as it were. They are very good, but I do like the Indiana Jones globetrotting feel of the main board. The main thing I like about the other big boxes is having varied gates, which forces you to travel about, especially when adventures are added, which may otherwise have been ignored. Mountains has gates for Amazon, Pyramids, Tunguska and Under the Pyramids has Heart of Africa, Himalayas, Antarctica for the main board. Consequently this makes portal spawning for the Dreamlands board more of a surprise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Janibass wrote:
Masks was my first big box after the small expansions. I had the same thoughts as you and never regretted it. Go for it I say! Loads of fun, and all the mechanics introduced from all the other expansions are all there plus resources. Some say they felt resources were tacked on, but as I experienced them earlier I don't feel that way at all and those definitive round cards really helped. Those extra gates are invaluable too on spaces 3, 8 and 13, R'lyeh, Atlantis and Hyperborea respectively, very thematic! I then went Dreamlands, Pyramids and Mountains last. Love the whole system, but so glad I experienced it all that way round.
The only annoyance to getting Masks first is to sort through the personal story cards and setting the cards aside from other investigators (38 out of 110 of the cards are going to be used). At the very least the Personal Stories have the Expansion icon on the 'backs' to aid in the sorting.

Also, unless if you're going to be using any variants where you would need more Focus tokens, you can just use the 16 that come in Masks when you get more expansions (Mountains, Strange Remnants, and Dreamlands have more Focus tokens). I don't know why there's 20 resource tokens as they're just as piece limited as Focus (Can hold up to two Resources) when they could have used the 4 excess for more Eldritch Tokens, but that could just be me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
I don't know why there's 20 resource tokens as they're just as piece limited as Focus (Can hold up to two Resources) when they could have used the 4 excess for more Eldritch Tokens, but that could just be me.
or tokens for another new mechanic that would actually make the expansion worth the price whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls