Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Direwild» Forums » General

Subject: I don’t know if I should get this (repetitive?) help me please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Gosalvez
Canada
Shefford
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys,

This game really appeal to me with its « pokemon » theme and its mecanics. I see myself playing with my kids when they get a little older.
But I’m also in the process of shortening my collection, trying to have just a few games per mecanics, I don’t want games I’ll not get to the table.

I like Dungeon Crawl but they’re not my favorite type of game, being an euro gamer. Thunderstone Quest is my only « Dungeon crawl ». And I’m more into games that has deckbuilding rather than pure deckbuilding games.

So, my questions to you: do you have the impression it is getting repetitive after a few games? (Buy some cards, move, attack or disengage, repeat...).

Does Direwild has its place beside Thunderstone Quest, which seems to offer more options, with its leveling up system, the « moving » part (village or dungeon), more than a thousand cards, epic mode, and soon coop mode with To the Barricade. Thunderstone seems to have almost infinite replayability.

Direwild with standees is on sale in a Canadian store at 54$

Thanks for your help!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bbchat wrote:
Hi guys,

This game really appeal to me with its « pokemon » theme and its mecanics. I see myself playing with my kids when they get a little older.
But I’m also in the process of shortening my collection, trying to have just a few games per mecanics, I don’t want games I’ll not get to the table.

I like Dungeon Crawl but they’re not my favorite type of game, being an euro gamer. Thunderstone Quest is my only « Dungeon crawl ». And I’m more into games that has deckbuilding rather than pure deckbuilding games.

So, my questions to you: do you have the impression it is getting repetitive after a few games? (Buy some cards, move, attack or disengage, repeat...).

Does Direwild has its place beside Thunderstone Quest, which seems to offer more options, with its leveling up system, the « moving » part (village or dungeon), more than a thousand cards, epic mode, and soon coop mode with To the Barricade. Thunderstone seems to have almost infinite replayability.

Direwild with standees is on sale in a Canadian store at 54$

Thanks for your help!
I'd say no, it isn't getting repetitive, and yes it has a place alongside TQ. There's definitely much more than just deckbuilding going on in Direwild. Your tactical movement on the map board will determine your success just as much as your deckbuilding. Speaking of which, your character advancement in Direwild is fairly robust - I really wouldn't give TQ any marks over Direwild in that category.

Most of all, if you're intending to play with your children, there's a lot in Thunderstone Quest that I wouldn't expose my kid to, whereas Direwild is much more appropriate.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gehring
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Simon,

My wife and have played the full game probably around 20 times now, and we are still enjoying it. It is definitely not as involved as Thunderstone, or Gloomhaven (my wife and I play that as well), but it is great for what it is. It is a stronger deck builder than it is a dungeon crawl, but the tactical movement on the board definitely adds fun and strategy to it, especially at a higher player count. It is humorous, fun, and challenging (especially with the hardcore AI). We have mixed things up by adding an extra minion sometimes when we play, which changes up the dynamics a bit as well.

You do see the same minions over and over again (wish there were more of them), and you may favor certain players over others, but the fun of the game and strategy of trying to build the best deck makes it last for me. We have a decent amount of deckbuilders (Legendary plus expansions, Dominion plus expansions, Arkon, Harry Potter plus expansions), and then one plays a lot better than all of those. Granted, there is more variety in Legendary (there are like a billion options of how to play), but the core mechanics in Direwild outshine all of those options.

It is a great game for kids, and when mine get a bit older, we'll have them join us with us.

Stephen
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter English
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I have only been able to play the game a few times so far, but I definitely see it as one I'll want to play for a while. It hits the sweet spot for me as far as co-op games and deck builders go, while the accessibility of the art and tongue-in-cheek style of humor makes the game very accessible to new players.

I do agree that the minions could get a little repetitive, and I'm hoping they'll release more in the future. I know expansions weren't initially planned for this game, but there are so many things that could be added or expanded upon (new characters, creatures, minions, maps, maybe even another big boss)that I'd love to see. Heck, I'd love a whole dinosaur-themed mini expansion that adds a bunch more dinos to the wilds.

That being said, it's a fun game with good variety (and lots of easy ways to tweak the difficulty levels if you find yourself getting too comfortable), and I see it hitting the table more often that a lot of "heavier" games, even though Direwild does deceptively deep strategy and tactics.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gosalvez
Canada
Shefford
Québec
flag msg tools
mb
Wow the replies...thanks guys you’ve convinced me to pull the trigger. Now I just have to decide if I get the version with the minis or not.

Edit: Minis version is 75$
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bbchat wrote:
Wow the replies...thanks guys you’ve convinced me to pull the trigger. Now I just have to decide if I get the version with the minis or not.
I haven't played my copy yet, but definitely get the minis. They're decent quality and look better on the board than the standees. If the standees were "Dead of Winter" quality then they'd be fine... But they're not. Definitely minis.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter English
United States
flag msg tools
mb
waxbottle wrote:
Bbchat wrote:
Wow the replies...thanks guys you’ve convinced me to pull the trigger. Now I just have to decide if I get the version with the minis or not.
I haven't played my copy yet, but definitely get the minis. They're decent quality and look better on the board than the standees. If the standees were "Dead of Winter" quality then they'd be fine... But they're not. Definitely minis.
Seconded. I have the minis and they're definitely worth it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess people have weighed in about this. I am the voice of dissension I guess. I do not believe Direwild has the replayability that other deck builders have.

One thing that makes deck builders different is that market cards change. This isn’t so in DW. You will always use the same deck of basic and advanced creatures. There are the same 4 unlocks that you must go for in the same order.

One of my favourite deck builders (Shadowrift) has different monsters that change up how you need to deal with them.

While there are some different minions you will be facing the same types of minions. Karn’s arrival never changes (every card brings him 1 round closer). You will face the same deck of Karn’s cards.

I see a lot of the same in this game. I think it’s a good game, but I suspect (although admit I’m not 100%) that there are some key strategies that you can dial in to gain victory time and time again.

Regardless, it’s a good game. I just don’t think it has the replayability that other games offer.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls