4 Posts

Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: Any tips for beginners? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sal conz
Panama
flag msg tools
Hey guys. Can you share tips for beginners? My wife and I played for the first time last night. She built two mines, and I built a mine and a trade station. After that we felt a little shackled and were trying to find things to do to get ore, knowledge, or to cycle power (because we imagine the earlier we do gaia projects, the better.

Can anyone give a few tips on ways to:

1. get ore during the round
2. get knowledge during the round
3. cycle power during the round

I see that we have the passive action to cycle power. But it seems like early game, you can't cycle much power. Also, if they are not within two spaces away, you can't do it. Any other ways???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
Just a quick check, because a lot of people miss this: did you collect income on your first round? Most factions should start off with 7 ore, 15 credits, and 4 knowledge without additional boosts from round boosters.

In a 2 player game, it can be much more difficult to cycle power than at larger player counts. Getting the tech tile that lets you take an action to cycle 4 power is usually a very strong early game tech tile. Alternatively, the other income tech tiles (+4 credits, +1 ore +1 power cycle, +1 knowledge +1 credits) are roughly equivalent. You can also get an early planetary institute to cycle power, but be warned: early PIs are often traps for a lot of factions.

Most openings should involve getting at least a research lab and an additional mine. The research lab improves your knowledge income to 2/round, and gets you a much-needed tech tile and bumps you up on an additional tech track. If you're struggling with income, getting to level 2 economy is a very strong opener. Economy also helps deal with power cycling problems, since it gives you some power cycling income.

Another piece of advice is to never pay full terraforming cost to settle a planet. 4 ore to settle a single terraform planet is incredibly steep and should be avoided at all costs. If you can't easily get more planets early on, consider going up the economy track, building an academy in the first round, or perhaps even trying a faction with better planet positioning. As a general rule, if you can't easily expand early, you should be investing in the research tracks, since both are ways of improving your economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PROJ already has a lot of good points.

In add to this I would only like to point out that I'd really recommend to use the beginner's setups frm the rulebook until you get a bit of a grasp of how to chose a faction/color and where to start early on.
Many players are tempted to just chose faction boards randomly, but I would not recommend this, because it may lead to a very unbalanced game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...always a sliver of hope.
mbmbmbmbmb