Harry Potter Miniatures Adventure Game» Forums » General

Subject: Painting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Sullivan
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Been looking at this game, a little disappointed to find you have to paint it yourself. I am not big on painting HA

Do the expansions come with supplies or do you have to get paint too? Does the main game figures need to be painted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Brodieman920 wrote:
Been looking at this game, a little disappointed to find you have to paint it yourself. I am not big on painting HA

Do the expansions come with supplies or do you have to get paint too? Does the main game figures need to be painted?
All figures need to be painted. No supplies are provided.

Also be advised that they're unassembled, so you need to glue the pieces together too - super glue is not provided, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Sullivan
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Jesus. Seems like a lot of work HAHA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodieman920 wrote:
Depends on how much you like to paint, I reckon. People tell me cooking and doing dishes are chores, but me, I enjoy my time spent doing both, very meditative. I feel the same about painting miniatures, incredibly intimidating at first but as you do it and learn tricks you may like it. I took years of art lessons: oil pastels, charcoal, pencil, oil paints and my work was meh, I could reproduce what I was looking at, so could my camera. Painting miniatures, even poorly, makes them better. Even just a white basecoat and a black wash makes them look like comic characters, beats grey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodieman920 wrote:
You are just not the target market. Wargamers are used to having to put together their minies and painting them. There is a whole industry around this.

Personally, I would not pick this game as my first painting experience. You may get overwhelm with all the steps needed to get 'good' looking minies; and it may diminish your enjoyment of the game if the minies don't come out the way you envision them.

Alternatively you could find a professional miniature painter and paid to have them painted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
rmercado wrote:
Brodieman920 wrote:
Personally, I would not pick this game as my first painting experience. You may get overwhelm with all the steps needed to get 'good' looking minies; and it may diminish your enjoyment of the game if the minies don't come out the way you envision them.
I did forget that bit, which is a phenomenal point. My girlfriend loves Harry Potter, I got the game for her and she wants to paint it. I picked her up some of the cheap pre-primed miniatures at my FLGS to start on, bigger ones down to smaller. It is a process, my first miniatures look much worse than my latest which are still just ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Sullivan
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I would never attempt to paint them, I have never been artsie.

I am a geek and love geeky board games. My wife does not. She does however love Harry Potter and I have gotten her to play HP Munchkin and Hogwarts Battle.

I found this looking for other geeky game we can play. I wish they, at least offered figures like the Star Trek Attack Wing figures where they just look good already.

I can see the appeal for many people wanting to paint these but I think they are losing money by not offering figures that are color. The game is pricey enough without having to pay someone to paint them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife also loves HP but she does not want me to paint them unless they are "film quality" as she puts it. Since I am not that good of a painter I am going to do a simple Zenithal spray and some ink. Easier for me too.

Painting requirements in general are why I think Wings of Glory (WWII) is my favorite miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Daddio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not recommend anyone without miniatures-hobby experience purchase this game unless they have someone with experience willing to assemble the miniatures for them. Properly assembling resin miniatures is not just a matter of adding glue. There are several other aspects to it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls