Hide
15 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Personal quests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Storm
msg tools
A friend and I have started playing this, and finally got off the ground and we are having tons of fun. But it seems we randomly got some real tough Personal quests. We've got: 3 dagger forest quests then #55, and 3 Gloomhaven quests and then another specific one. We've played enough to both hit lvl 6, and we've only unlocked 1 Dagger forest #3, and 1 Gloomhaven #8.

So I'm curious if we just got really unlucky or it's normal. And what level did your first class get to before you completed your first personal quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard McAteer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had the first quest you referred to for my first character, and leveled to 9 before retiring. I could have done it a little sooner, but we were trying to align my retirement with another character so we'd have two classes to choose from.

We hit a bunch of qualifying scenarios in a row around that point. If the Scoundrel's second or third character had pulled that quest they could have done it in a handful of scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we mostly were at around 6, but one was only 4 (we helped him a lot to finish it early)
you should probably put the descriptions of the goals in spoilers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a handful of personal quests that are pretty bad to get early on in the campaign, because it'll be a while before you complete them. You've found two of them. In general, if a personal quest wants you to play X number of scenarios in a particular location or to kill Y number of a specific type of enemies, you could be waiting a long time before you get the opportunity.

If you want semi-spoiler tips on how to work toward your quests:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
For the Gloomhaven personal quest:
After dealing with Jekserah one way or another, go investigate the sewers.
For the Dagger Forest personal quest:
Do not play Scenario 11. After dealing with Jekserah otherwise, you should unlock a scenario in the Dagger Forest that leads to another one in the Dagger Forest.
For even less spoilery tips:
Focus on finishing the Jekserah plot line first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all dependant on the paths you choose, and/or where you are in the campaign. Although the gloomhaven one should be easy to finish early, between the
necromancer story line
and
cleansing the sewers

I'm working on my 3rd retirement, and if I had gotten it first, I would have been a quick retirement, now I need to go back and play levels on casual if I want to ever retire.
play 3 crypt scenarios

Before that, I had to go all over the map
Play 1 scenario in 6 different locations (forest, gloomhaven, mountains, swamp, etc)

And just naturally hit all of them within 8 scenarios or so.

Meanwhile, we had a guy who had a similar quest to yours
Do 3 swamp scenarios

That had him retire his first time right about when the rest of us were retiring a second time. But if he had gotten it as his second retirement instead of first, it would have been a quick retirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Knott
United States
Blacksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of personal quests... My dog at one of my personal quest cards last night...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It took our 8th level Brute 19 scenarios to retire with the Gloomhaven quest, including following the side scenarios to the end. Our first retirement happened after 10, and everyone else was somewhere in between. We actually had 2 players on their 3rd character on the Brute's last scenario, and one retired thanks to the Brute triggering.

I actually drew the Dagger Forest quest as an option after 18 scenarios, and noticed we had 3 available scenarios open, but decided to do a longer one with the class I had unlocked. We played our 3rd Dagger Forest quest as our 20th scenario (hint, follow the advice above), but could have done it sooner had we not followed the Brute.

There's definitely better quests to draw early if you want to get some retirements under you belt, but if you like the class you are playing, there's something to be said about getting to experience the whole range of power growth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Berro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
As others have stated, some initial personal quests take a very long time to complete.

A big part of the fun for me with Gloomhaven is retiring characters and starting new ones, and especially in a two-player game if retirement takes too long then the campaign could easily be completed before experiencing all or even most of the character classes. Also, it could reduce the fun if one player gets to retire a few times while the other has not retired at all.

For that reason, I like setting aside some personal quest cards out of the game until all of the other personal quests have been completed. Although that's a house rule, I think it's the only house rule I use for the entire game.

Every now and then I start up a new campaign with a new group of players (other family members, etc.), and setting aside several of the personal quest cards has been a good approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the future, I'd like to see tiered goals. Either cards unlocked throughout the game, shuffled into the available quests, or quests that evolve depending on conditions (i.e. if under prosperity 5 do x, or if at 5 or higher do y; or do x, or if scenario A is unlocked, then do y).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mizake Mizan

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
On a similar note, I was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea if this personal quest is one that will take a short, medium, or long time to complete.

My personal quest is:

complete 6 side quests

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizake Mizan wrote:
On a similar note, I was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea if this personal quest is one that will take a short, medium, or long time to complete.

My personal quest is:

complete 6 side quests
Our tinkerer is the only one of the group which hasn’t retired yet, and some of us are pretty close to a second retirement.
He’s also a bit sad, as he has all his battle goals already filled, but we can’t seem to find a last one we need

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizake Mizan wrote:

My personal quest is:

complete 6 side quests
I think this thread can be of interest

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2025496/poll-most-difficult...

I did as suggested and extracted the 5 longer personal quest for the first iteration of characters and I think it worked perfectly (those personal quest have been already added but after the first unlocks there is not so much pressure, and from what I read it looks like those PQ are not so long if you draw them with a campaign more advanced
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
We have a group of 4.

Tinkerer Retired at Level 5
Mindthief and Cragheart Retired simultaneously, Mindthief was at 8 and Cragheart at 7
Spellweaver is still unretired and is at Level 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizake Mizan wrote:

My personal quest is:

complete 6 side quests
LONG. One of the longest. Probably second-longest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Mizake Mizan wrote:

My personal quest is:

complete 6 side quests
LONG. One of the longest. Probably second-longest.
We unlocked our 6th side quest after our 18th scenario, then proceeded to unlock 6 more over our next 4 due to chests, retirements, events, etc. We've only completed 2 following someone's retirement goal. Some of it is luck of the draw and decisions made from events. Definitely on the medium-long side, and side quests tend to be more challenging or include non-standard mechanics which can make them difficult to complete on the first try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls