Subject: What would you suggest to a social deduction newbie? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Nicotra
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
My companions in the US gave me this nickname when I was there because they couldn't pronounce my last name... I've discovered where it came from much, much later.
badge
OB-JEC-TION!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I am in love with games such as Secret Hitler, BANG!, and Avalon (which I have yet to try), but I miserably fail most matches while left wondering how have I lost. I would like to know what kind of things give out clues I can use or things that I shouldn't do at all in order to not be busted... Any advice is appreciated!

PS i've used forum search but couldn't find much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone sucks at hidden role games when they first play them. Everyone. So don't worry too much about it, you will get better by playing more.

That being said this may help.

When you are the bad guys, you know exactly who everyone is.
It's really easy to go quiet when you are the bad guy because you don't need to figure anything out and you don't want to draw attention to yourself.

Try and avoid this as it's a dead give away imo that someone is on the dark side. If you are on the good team don't you want to help figure out who is who? So why are you just sitting there not saying a single word? Very suspicious to me.

If you are a good guy, watch the players around you carefully. Are they really trying to uncover the truth, asking themselves and the team questions or are they just spewing comments around to cause confusion?

Are they too quick to throw others under the bus with no actual evidence?

Watch what they say and do. If they contradict themselves they are probably bad. First they swear player A is bad and then a few minutes later they say player A is probably good. Switching opinions like that, so quickly screams bad guy.

Don't be afraid to get into an argument with another player if you are good. Ask someone why they say something is bad. If they can't back up their answer with something believable they are probably bad themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
9snick4 wrote:
Personally I am in love with games such as Secret Hitler, BANG!, and Avalon (which I have yet to try), but I miserably fail most matches while left wondering how have I lost. I would like to know what kind of things give out clues I can use or things that I shouldn't do at all in order to not be busted... Any advice is appreciated!

PS i've used forum search but couldn't find much
Act consistent. Your biggest tell will be a switch in how you speak and react depending on what side you're on.

Also, if you're on a "betrayer" side, I've found that no matter the game it's always a great strategy to play as though you're on the "good" side until there's a critical point in the late game by which to betray everyone in a way they can't recover from. If you tip your hand too early, you won't get that kind of chance.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Werewords or A Fake Artist Goes to New York

I dislike Spyfall because it relies on people being good at lying and imo most people are bad at it.

The best Social Deduction game imo is Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

Also, if you're on a "betrayer" side, I've found that no matter the game it's always a great strategy to play as though you're on the "good" side until there's a critical point in the late game by which to betray everyone in a way they can't recover from. If you tip your hand too early, you won't get that kind of chance.

~V
That turning point is the hard one.

I played a game of Shadows Over Camelot and I blew it as the betrayer because I was way way too helpful for way way too long. When I finally realized it was time to start to screw everyone over, I wasn't really positioned to do the kind of damage I needed to do and I failed to really blame someone else as the betrayer.

I suppose that's part of the trick. If you're on Team Bad, you want them to think you're on Team Good. That only works if you can reveal someone else on Team Bad, either honestly or through convincing everyone else someone on Team Good really isn't.

It can be acceptable to throw an evil team mate under the bus, get the credit for revealing it to the group and then pick one other sap to go after. Do it right, and you're the hero until the good guys realize that they lose...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulet N
Indonesia
City of Heroes
flag msg tools
Angry dragon! In ssspaaace!!!
badge
I think dragons are the quintessential element of fantasy in the same way outer space is for sci-fi.
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, understand the rules and the roles. I mean it. Not knowing what your role means and what your special ability does is an easily avoidable mistake and is not reliant on your experience playing social deduction games.

If you're playing someone who does not have perfect information, talk to each other. Discuss, doubt, cast suspicions openly, deduct who is who. If you're playing a role with more knowledge about each other's roles, well, still talk to each other.

The biggest mistake people could make in their first social deduction games are not participating in the game itself by keeping overly silent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Herbalism is a gem of a social deduction game. My group likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you claim to be a role and someone else contradicts your claim because they say they are that role the hard bit is to retain a straight face and insist that you are the role and they are the ones lying. Don't give up on your lies. Stick to them and speak them convincingly but confidently.

Lying to people is a skill many people have not mastered very well but that isn't really something to feel bad about on the whole. If you can't win a game of werewolf to save your life it just means that you are an honest and trustworthy person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
9snick4 wrote:
The trick is to make your lies indistinguishable from your truths.
One path is to make lying to be on the same level as being honest - which means observing your behaviour when you're telling the truth so you can replicate it. Or you could convince yourself you're that other thing.

The other path, I adhere to, is to make my truths the same as my lies. Basically people think I'm lying all the time - in some games this can work in your favour (bluffing games more so than social deduction). It's about playing a character for the duration of the game.

Good game for practice: Win, Lose, or Banana
Takes some 30-60 seconds.
If you make yourself two copies (6 cards) you can play it with 3-6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls