Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone had experience shipping these games to Europe? I'm trying to do so and found out that I need a CE stamp or Certificate of Conformity. UPS wasn't very helpful on this matter so I'm not really sure what I need to do to get one. Any direction would be helpful.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Googled "CE Stamp"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking
The CE marking is the manufacturer's declaration that the product meets the requirements of the applicable EC directives.[2]

The mark consists of the CE logo and, if applicable, the four digit identification number of the Notified Body involved in the conformity assessment procedure.

Googled "Certificate of Conformity"
http://www.intertek.com/government/certificate-of-conformity...
https://www.cpsc.gov/Business--Manufacturing/Testing-Certifi...

Certification means the issuance of a written General Certificate of Conformity (GCC) in which the manufacturer or importer certifies that its non-children's (general use) product complies with all applicable consumer product safety rules (or similar rules, bans, standards, or regulations under any law enforced by the Commission for that product.)

I am not a lawyer.
I am not your lawyer.
This is not legal advice, it is the result of google searches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
cbarchuk wrote:
Has anyone had experience shipping these games to Europe? I'm trying to do so and found out that I need a CE stamp or Certificate of Conformity. UPS wasn't very helpful on this matter so I'm not really sure what I need to do to get one. Any direction would be helpful.
Could I ask what you think the issue is?

It's not as if the Post Office or Custom Office opens all the parcels that go out of a country (or for that matter, those that enter a country) and check to see if they that have the appropriate certifications. Are you concerned that it will somehow be rejected and returned to sender if it doesn't have a CE stamp?

But be that as may be. The ToA game does indeed have a CE stamp on the box. So if the parcel is opened, then they should find it does indeed have the CE stamp on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually when I got home from the UPS store I started looking into what it is and saw that there was a stamp on the bottom of box. The fine folks at UPS said they couldn't take it without a stamp or certificate. They didn't know to look anywhere on the box. So all is well. I guess they just didn't know much about these things. Of course I didn't either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
cbarchuk wrote:
Actually when I got home from the UPS store I started looking into what it is and saw that there was a stamp on the bottom of box. The fine folks at UPS said they couldn't take it without a stamp or certificate. They didn't know to look anywhere on the box. So all is well. I guess they just didn't know much about these things. Of course I didn't either.
I would then suggest that this is a case of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" situation The CE stamp is used for when a commercial product is created and that it meets certain standards. Its use is really aimed at distributors and retailers.

It certainly shouldn't apply to when a private citizen wants to send something through the mail. I suspect the UPS employee either misunderstood what was being asked of him or has misunderstood the requirements of what he can accept. That or he was a jobsworth!

Nowadays it's common enough for the Post Office / UPS / Shipping Agent to ask what's inside a parcel but what they really want to know is if it's a bomb or some sort of dangerous object. The presence of a CE stamp shouldn't really concern them. IMHO at least

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Well let me ask you this, is international shipping from the US to Europe more expensive than shipping from Europe to the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
cbarchuk wrote:
Interesting. Well let me ask you this, is international shipping from the US to Europe more expensive than shipping from Europe to the US?
Dunno. But like a lot of things, I suspect it would be cheaper being in the US. Start the ball rolling by telling us how much it would cost you to send you parcel.

It's going to depend on a number of things.
* What method are you using? Air or Surface?
* Who are you using? USPO, DHL, UPS?
* How heavy is the object???
* Where is it being sent?
* How fast do you want it to take?

For example, in the UK, if I wanted to send a 2KG parcel to the US using our "cheap and affordable International Standard postage" offered by our Post Office, it costs £18.30. That's $24.

And it has a max limit of 2KG. My ToA weighs well over 2KG so I would have to send it in two parts, so about £30.

Also note that it will most likely cost the receiver VAT and Customs Import Duties. That will be an extra 20% cost along with something like an extra £10 "handling charge". Make sure your buyer is aware of this potential charge.

Note: When you send the parcel, you should most likely include an Customs Declaration Form (in the UK it's called a CN22). This informs the receiving Customs what the value of the parcel contents are, therefore how much tax they should charge. My suggestion is to keep this AS LOW as possible (i.e. lie), under £15 if being sent to the UK. If below this value then often the Customs Duty is waivered. Again, it depends where you are sending it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls