Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
One of Hunter Thompson's more obscure but fun theories was that the British Royal Family's main purpose was to begin acting terrible in public whenever something bad was happening to the UK, in order to act as a distraction (weirdly prescient, looking back from the days of Trump)

I agree with OP though, some Americans obsession with it is about halfway between 'sad' and 'offputting'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been pretty meh about British royalty. Then I watched The Crown and now I'm completely against it. What an anchor to society that perpetuates so many wrong things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
The royal family is a great litmus test. If you know an American who is fascinated by them, it means you know someone who values tradition and/or appearances over functionality. That's a good thing to know about a person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, they are basically a Reality TV program. It's wish-fulfillment type stuff for a lot of people (esp. the whole 'Princess' thing, not helped by the likes of Disney tropes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually remember the moment I was totally done with the British Royal Family (or at least when I went from 'meh' to 'burn it!')

Mother Theresa (controversial, but definitely spend 60 years living in harsh conditions and trying to help people) and Diana (ex-princess who spent the public's money on good causes) both died the same week.

Diana got easily 90% of the news coverage, totally blotting out a literal saint.

The royal family is the epitome of shallow appearances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And poor Phillip just surrendered his license, looks like he's going to have to rely on being chauffered around now. They have it rough!

Deep down, I think the Brits have a thing for monarchy. It's their dirty little secret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
No, but she may crush the illegitimate Hanover/Windsor line and Britian will finally go back to recognizing the true Jacobite line of succession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
No, but she may crush the illegitimate Hanover/Windsor line and Britian will finally go back to recognizing the true Jacobite line of succession.

Where did you get that from (link)? I'd like to inspect it more closely.

Well, true line of succession was sometimes fought for. See War of the Roses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it still illegal for a Catholic to be King/Queen by the way? I think they're allowed to marry catholics now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
The only person in the Royal Family I'd say I admire is the Queen. I don't have any issues with the rest of them. They use their publicity for (in theory) promoting charities and the like. But, man, do some of them just need to go away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
abadolato01 wrote:
There's a + magnifying glass over the image if you want to embiggen it.

Easiest way to see the url is to try and quote my post and you'll see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All royalty should be thrown into the ocean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Is it still illegal for a Catholic to be King/Queen by the way? I think they're allowed to marry catholics now.
Yes and no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
windsagio wrote:
Yes and no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
I actually remember the moment I was totally done with the British Royal Family (or at least when I went from 'meh' to 'burn it!')

Mother Theresa (controversial, but definitely spend 60 years living in harsh conditions and trying to help people) and Diana (ex-princess who spent the public's money on good causes) both died the same week.

Diana got easily 90% of the news coverage, totally blotting out a literal saint.

Except Mother Theresa was an evil woman and Diana merely a not very bright aristocrat.
I actually suspect Diana did more good with her Aids campaigning and de-mining than someone who let people suffer deliberately because she thought it was good for their souls.
BTW I am a republican so it sticks in my craw to say that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
The only person in the Royal Family I'd say I admire is the Queen. I don't have any issues with the rest of them. They use their publicity for (in theory) promoting charities and the like. But, man, do some of them just need to go away.
I don't admire the queen, she had the right parents and stayed with her husband, but her children are all wrecks.

Getting at best median results doesn't deserve praise, especially if you're a huge sap on a nations finances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
windsagio wrote:

Except Mother Theresa was an evil woman and Diana merely a not very bright aristocrat.
I actually suspect Diana did more good with her Aids campaigning and de-mining than someone who let people suffer deliberately because she thought it was good for their souls.
BTW I am a republican so it sticks in my craw to say that.
Even if you were right and she were a monster (the only people who really get into that are Hitchens, Hinduvta types, and their acolytes), she'd still be far more notable than frickin' Diana, whose primary use was to reflect by example the shallow vanity of celebrity culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:
I don't admire the queen, she had the right parents and stayed with her husband, but her children are all wrecks.

Getting at best median results doesn't deserve praise, especially if you're a huge sap on a nations finances.
The sap on nations finances is questionable. I admire her because she was thrusted into a job she didn't want, and introvert who's forced to be a public figure, who won't abdicate because of how her uncle killed her father by doing it. She has lived a (by past royal standards) a pretty moderate lifestyle. She's served the public interest learning to do the job that she was completely untrained for, from my understanding, in an admiral fashion.

Given the nightmare that Edward the 8th would have been, The brits got pretty damn lucky with George the 6th and Elizabeth the 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:

Well, true line of succession was sometimes fought for. See War of the Roses.
This video seems to be by the same people:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
windsagio wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

The sap on nations finances is questionable. I admire her because she was thrusted into a job she didn't want, and introvert who's forced to be a public figure, who won't abdicate because of how her uncle killed her father by doing it. She has lived a (by past royal standards) a pretty moderate lifestyle. She's served the public interest learning to do the job that she was completely untrained for, from my understanding, in an admiral fashion.

Given the nightmare that Edward the 8th would have been, The brits got pretty damn lucky with George the 6th and Elizabeth the 2nd.
It's not a huge sap, but it's there (in the tens of millions of pounds directly, not counting things like tax exemptions and facilities).

If she really didn't want to do it, they could have abolished the monarchy and had them live off of one of the massive revenue streams from the duchies (£16 million from Lancaster, £18 million from Cornwall), maybe even tax them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Markle, the other one (not even sure what her name is), Diana ... they're all just brood mares to perpetuate the lineage without so many problems from inbreeding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
Markle, the other one (not even sure what her name is), Diana ... they're all just brood mares to perpetuate the lineage without so many problems from inbreeding.
This seems a bit crass and misogynistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
Welcome to the British Royalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
Realistically, they needed new blood, the lineage of Victoria had run out of women to marry back into the lineage of Victoria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
Dispaminite wrote:

well even the republicans in the Uk have a grudging respect for the queen ,she has walked the walk for how monarchs where expected to be in the days of Empire even if you think that was silly , The rest of the old firm not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |