18 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Git gud! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
Played the game since the beginning. I have several Saga Expansions + Adventure Packs.

Played over 100 games in the last few years.

Only won 1 or 2 scenarios. You've read that right. 1-2 scenarios won. That's all.

Yes, I am a bad player.

But I have to say it: THIS is the Dark Souls of card games!

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hehe. Makes me wonder if you've been playing some rules wrong. Are you looking for deck building advice, wanting to share decks you've built, and/or considering looking at decks at ringsdb.com? In any case, best of luck with your continuing journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s rough! I’m not sure I’d continue if the taste for victory wasn’t sated at least some of the time.

I’m curious to hear other’s win percentages.
Since I’ve started recording such things (47/54 total plays) I’ve won 14 games (29% of the time). That’s against 12 different scenarios. I can guarantee most of those unrecorded games are losses, as it took me a while to grasp how to win Journey Down the Anduin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, also makes me wonder if the OP is missing on some rules interpretations...playing some rules wrong. Also possible is that the OP has not learned the differences each sphere (Lore, Spirit, Tactics, Leadership) can add to the different situations in the scenarios.

My wife and I enjoy this game immensely. Our work schedules have gotten heavier over the last 2-3 years, and the call of newer games keep shouting at us, so we haven’t played as much lately. But when we have, we still win often (less than 50%, but often enough to bring us back to figure out how to play, or deckbuild, to a scenario differently to beat it).

I would suggest the OP play the first scenario out of the box with each themed sphere deck (Lore, Tactics, Spirit, Leadership), each one to see how they differ in different situations. Play 2 handed so each themed sphere deck can work with the another sphere deck. Also, avoid the 3rd scenario. If you dont know what you are doing, you will surely get beat bad every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Martin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exupery wrote:
Played the game since the beginning. I have several Saga Expansions + Adventure Packs.

Only won 1 or 2 scenarios. You've read that right. 1-2 scenarios won. That's all.

Yes, I am a bad player.

Thanks.
Are you . . . okay with this state of affairs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Lady Mondegreen wrote:
Are you . . . okay with this state of affairs?
Apparently there are no Lotr version of the "this is fine" sitting in a room of fire meme on the internet.
I am NOT okay with this state of affairs. In fact, my disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems like an extremely low win rate, especially if you have a decent sized card pool. Try reading through Hall of Beorn or watching some Cardboard of the Rings Youtube playthroughs if you want to win more often, but if you're enjoying the game then do whatever makes you happy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With only 1-2 wins and you continued to play 100 games, you get an award for persistence!

But seriously, as others have pointed out, you might be getting some rules wrong and making the game harder for yourself. If not, consider playing in Easy Mode. Decent win ratio ranges 40-50%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing I noticed. The OP may be playing with only 1 Core set. I have 3 Core sets, so I have more depth on really good cards (or cards I think are good for me). If playing with one Core Set, it might be a little tougher, though I have seen decks mentioned online that are only single Core to get through the Box scenarios more successfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Only ever had one core. Printed proxies, but haven't actually used them because I misplaced them. The sheer number of other cards I have helps a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekDadGamer wrote:
Another thing I noticed. The OP may be playing with only 1 Core set. I have 3 Core sets, so I have more depth on really good cards (or cards I think are good for me). If playing with one Core Set, it might be a little tougher, though I have seen decks mentioned online that are only single Core to get through the Box scenarios more successfully.
While having more than 1 Core set will provide more copies of some very good cards and thus make things a little less frustrating, it's in no way needed to reach 40%+ win rate. I know cuz I have only 1 Core set but then I was really immersed in the game when I was playing it regularly.

This really is a game where you have to understand your player cards and learn to develop strategies in constructing a viable deck to tackle challenges of a particular quest. It's not a game where you'll do well playing casually.

Back to the OP, with each game, win or lose, what things are you noticing coming out of the Encounter deck that you find your player deck lacking? There is a given random element to the card draw, but you should be learning something new with each play through. Fill your player deck with cards that will help counter the quest's Encounter deck and remove cards that you leave sitting in your hand because they are not helpful. Consider where you need to place more emphasis for a quest, e.g, more willpower vs more defense, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
It is always a pleasure to see people who have mastered the unwinnable LOTR: LCG!

Am I salty? Nah. Do I feel like I am missing something by constantly loosing scenarios? Not quite. I still enjoy playing the game, buying the new expansions, enjoying the art and so on.

Sure, I would love to win a scenario from time to time, but what can I do.

Now that I think about it: I will hate to actually live in Middle-Earth. I am pretty sure I will be dead as soon as I would leave my hobbit-hole. Going into an adventure? Hell no. Nope. Stay at home, enjoy the beautiful scenery from behind the window.

I play with a Tactics deck only, the same way I only play Barbarian / Knight / Warrior in other games.

I don't have a problem with the rules. They are quite crystal clear in general. There are some confusing exceptions, of course but overall I think I know how to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, playing only with tactics deck will result in an extremely low win rate (at least until you get some tactics heroes that can actually quest, or against a few battle-focused quests that don't require willpower at all). If that's what you enjoy there's nothing wrong with that, though I hope you've at least tried the other spheres -- they've got some pretty cool heroes and cards too.

Another way to play competently, but have an extremely low win rate with only core cards, is to play Escape from Dol Goldur repeatedly with a single deck.

I tend to play a quest until I beat it and then move on to another quest, so my win rate per play is significantly lower than my average win rate per quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Exupery wrote:
I play with a Tactics deck only
That could be your problem. Pure Tactics is highly solo-unfriendly out of the box, needing at least a couple of cycles worth of expansions before it could hold its own. It's more of the bodyguard sphere with just the early card pool, so dual-sphere or even triple-sphere decks are more likely to succeed[1].

If you're not playing two-handed you aren't using all the keywords on Tactics allies either. I think their power is balanced against having those, so you might lose other effects if any co-op focused keywords appear.

[1]But this doesn't eliminate long streaks of losses. Because Middle-Earth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tactics only is definitely the issue. While I love Tactics (it's my favorite sphere) they lack questing power and cancellation.

I'd say if you want to alter your trajectory, either mix in non-Tactics, play 2 handed (with only 1 deck all Tactics), or start using this beauty. She's amazing...

You said you love looking at the artwork, and this particular card is excellent with various subtleties, but you need to see it in its full glory...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

Tactics only is definitely the issue. While I love Tactics (it's my favorite sphere) they lack questing power and cancellation.

I'd say if you want to alter your trajectory, either mix in non-Tactics, play 2 handed (with only 1 deck all Tactics), or start using this beauty. She's amazing...

You said you love looking at the artwork, and this particular card is excellent with various subtleties, but you need to see it in its full glory...

Oh man, I love Tactics Eowyn. Have her in a deck with Tactics Theoden and Golden Shield, it's awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics Eowyn, Tactics Theoden, and Hirgon have combined questing of eleven willpower, and if they quest successfully (likely) you can play a tactics ally from your hand at a 1-cost discount.

Mono-tactics can quest -- but you need Tactics Eowyn, Tactics Theoden, or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
Netherlands
flag msg tools
You'd think I would put something here!
badge
Decepticons, forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exupery wrote:

Yes, I am a bad player.

Thanks.
Could you provide your decklist? Maybe the hive mind can help you tune it a little/provide some tips on playing it.

If you go here, and on the right side select the packs you own, you can see some decklists other people have made that might inspire you:
https://ringsdb.com/decklists/search
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls