Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I am in the proccess of summing up questions fit to be in an official FAQ, and adding a few errata.

Feel free to post on that regard.

Cheers,
K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
I’m really an okay guy.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are either a very brave or foolish soul. I think the former, and I wish you the best of luck good Sir. Huge undertaking.

Will you be focusing on the board game rules, or war game (unleashed)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as a volunteer lead develpoer for 2.0 and HZL, you can say that I am both. Can't say where the scales tip though

I lead the board game rules team, although I also am a member of the wargame rules team. I have instigated a balance tweak which will probably soon apply to the wargame, but that's a minor one.

The wargame is actually the W.A.R. rules system, which is followed by both the Warzone and the Unleashed "Faction books" as I like to call them. So, if you are searching for FAQ or generic rules errata/changes, you should read the Warzone rulebook which was updated latest.

avp.prodosgames.com/downloads
warzone.prodosgames.com/downloads

The FAQ will happen for the Board Game, and it will be a "living" document which means that whenever I receive a question that is asked many a time, it will be added.

However not all questions need be in the FAQ, most are just ill understandings.

Next up will be "player aides".

Cheers,
K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to see you working hard Konstantinos

I don't think I have anything for you to add other that what we've talked about previously regarding some of the most common questions I see on the boards.

1. Missing Jungle Hunters rules in Hot Landing Zone.
2. Clarification that Tactical Move and Tactical Advance are the same.
3. Shooting when engaged and shooting through engaged tiles.
4. Clarification of what actions reveal the identity of a ping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi Konstantinos,

in the last weeks we played frequently and there were some questions we couldn't answer by studying the rulebook.
Before going to the questions, maybe let me remark that we agree in the opinion that the rulebook is a bit confusing. Sometimes it takes quite long searching for the right section, so we made a list of all available actions and abilities, because they are spread over the whole book. Maybe you can do an official list.

So, the questions we have:

1) Can a player only play an "Active" Strategy Card during his turn, i.e. while he is the active player. For example, during the turn of the Predator player, can the Marines or Alien Player play an "Active" Strategy Card. The rules only say "during a player's turn", but they don't specify if only the player's which turn it is, can play cards or if everyone can do so.

2) What exactly does the term "make an RS test on the tile" in the description of "Smart Disc Throw (A)" mean? The precise question is, does the Smart Disc also get the -2 modifier to the RS on the second tile, if the intermediate tile is engaged? So I agree with the other guy, please clarify how exactly shooting through, from and on engaged tiles works.

3) What exactly does happen, when all models are activated and some of them still have a sentry token? We then started spending Sentry tokens in initiative order (one at a time).

There are also some skills, we never use and which seem a bit useless to me (it's also possible that we are just big noobs), like the "Grenade Launcher (A)" ability. You could maybe improve it a bit (like a hit causes two armor tests on the tile, and/or it only costs one action point) and give it the "Limited Ammunition" keyword. I'd most like the two armor tests thing.

So that's it from me so far. I gonna ask my mates if they have unanswered questions.

Cheers and thanks for improving the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So, there are more questions from my group:

1) Can you use sentry tokens to react to sentry actions?

2) Does using the Marine strategy card that gives two models free sentry tokens prevent those models' activation? Or do you get your usual actions in addition to sentry actions?

3) How does cc with fully occupied enemy tiles work? Can the attacked party counterattack without moving?

4) Do you get a -10 modifier on RS even when attacking a tile where two enemy factions are engaged (the rules are unambiguous, but it makes sense that we wouldn't care about hitting friendly models and thus not get a modifier)

5) When attacking an enemy model on the same tile with ranged combat, do we get -10 or -12?

6) Do action cards like laser grid activate when running through a tile?

7) Can predators voluntarily uncover their ping tokens and get an extra free movement?

8) Is survival always a victory condition in missions? According to the rules, victory conditions are checked at the end of the turn. So, if a team accomplishes its goals and then gets annihilated in the same turn, does it still win?

9) Can weapons which do not need LoS (like Smart Discs or Flamethrowers with Ping!) shoot through doors. The prose at the description of the door would imply this, but the rules do not really clarify it. Nor do the rules really say that doors block line of sight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi mate I will reply bit by bit.

Hybriviladis wrote:

1) Can you use sentry tokens to react to sentry actions?
You may discard a Sentry Token after a Model performs (completes) an Action, you do not interrupt the action itself. Multipple Models can expend their Tokens, but it is done one at a time.

Hybriviladis wrote:

2) Does using the Marine strategy card that gives two models free sentry tokens prevent those models' activation? Or do you get your usual actions in addition to sentry actions?
It is in addition. Although, should you not expend the Sentry Token before Activating the Model, the Token is "lost" upon activation (faq pending)

Hybriviladis wrote:

3) How does cc with fully occupied enemy tiles work? Can the attacked party counterattack without moving?
I am not sure I understand the question. There is no "counterattack" action. I assume this example: a fully occupied tile by the Marine Faction and an adjacent tile with 1 Alien Infant. The Infant can attack the Fully occupied Tile as if it were "engaged". The Marines cannot attack the Infant in CC, they would need to move to the same tile (thus now remaing 7 on the tile, no longer counting as fully occupied and the Alien can no longer attack them).
If the Tile is fully occupied by two enemy factions, then all adjacent tiles are also engaged and they all can fight one another. However that usually is a short time period, since killing 1 or more models from the fully occupied tile makes the tile lose the "fully" status. (faq pending)

Hybriviladis wrote:

4) Do you get a -10 modifier on RS even when attacking a tile where two enemy factions are engaged (the rules are unambiguous, but it makes sense that we wouldn't care about hitting friendly models and thus not get a modifier)
Yes, indeed you do get the -10. The only requirement is that the tile is "engaged", not "engaged by you". This is done for balancing reasons, since the non-combating faction would get an unfair advantage. We also were contemplating giving another modifier (like -5) but again both for balance and simplicity reasons we left it as is at -10.

Hybriviladis wrote:

5) When attacking an enemy model on the same tile with ranged combat, do we get -10 or -12?
You get a -10. The "-2 cummulative" is explicitly when shooting at another engaged tile. However, should both your tile and the target be engaged, you get -12 as per normal (-10 for engaged, -2 for your "intervening" tile).

Hybriviladis wrote:

6) Do action cards like laser grid activate when running through a tile?
Yes. You are supposed to step on the first tile to get to the seccond. Likewise, you cannot pass through a "fully occupied" to the tile behind it, because you have to first pass on the first tile. (relevant faq pending)

Hybriviladis wrote:

7) Can predators voluntarily uncover their ping tokens and get an extra free movement?
Yes. The rule is "when revealed". However, you cannot move towards an enemy with los, thus you can only use it to gain a tile while the tile you are being placed is out of los. You can go objective hunting, but the glory of the clan lies in the spines.

Hybriviladis wrote:

8) Is survival always a victory condition in missions? According to the rules, victory conditions are checked at the end of the turn. So, if a team accomplishes its goals and then gets annihilated in the same turn, does it still win?
No, survival is not required. On the other hand, last man standing is also a victory condition. We consider this situation rather rare, thus have not included any "grading" in victory conditions. Both factions would win (the one completing the objective, and the "last man standing" in the same turn).
Although please allow a degree of wrong answer here, it has been a long day at work and I am a bit foggy. Need to open up rulebooks and check everything.

Hybriviladis wrote:

9) Can weapons which do not need LoS (like Smart Discs or Flamethrowers with Ping!) shoot through doors. The prose at the description of the door would imply this, but the rules do not really clarify it. Nor do the rules really say that doors block line of sight
No, they cannot. We did not see the need to clarify this, since most people (just like you) use common selse Except for Neo, but luckily he is lost in the Matrix.

Cheers,
K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wow, thanks for your detailed answer! And yes, you got all the questions right, especially the thing with the fully occupied tiles wasn't good formulated. Sorry for this.
Most of the things really are common sense, but there are some guys in our group who look for missing details in the rulebook and try to benefit from it (like shooting through doors) and sometimes the discussions are really exhausting.

As I said, we are playing frequently and if you want more feedback, I can note what we are discussing and later contact you. Or if you need someone external play testing something, you can contact me.

Cheers and thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Talionis
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Official FAQ/ERRATA :

http://prodosgames.com/blog/first-errata-for-avp-hot-landing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First: Thanks for the Errata!

In Yesterday's game their came some new questions, maybe you can also answer this:

1) Suppose there is a model with a sentry token. A different model activates, spends one action point and completes this action. After that, the player with the model, which has a sentry token, wants to use the token and another player wants to use a strategy card. The rulebook says that both are options a player can choose after a model completes an action, but it is not specified what happens first. The description of sentry says "immediately after an action...", while the trigger for playing strategy cards is "after an action...", so i suppose that sentry happens first, but not sure.
For me, it would make sense that sentry happens first, because sentry is some kind of reaction to an action, while the strategy card mostly effects the second action.

2) At the description of "Smart Disc Throw (A)" stands that the player can choose a tile, up to two tiles away. If you are engaged, can you then throw the Smart Disc on the engaged tile (with a -10 modifier for shooting on an engaged tile)? And if the answer to this is yes, then the player can only make a ranged attacked on the tile his model stands on, since there is no intermediate tile, right? Or is it possible to throw the Smart Disc on the tile a model is standing and an adjacent tile?

3) If a model is engaged on a not fully occupied tile. Is there another possibility for the model to move than "Disengaging"? Maybe let's take an example, say there are two predators together with two alien infants on a tile. On an adjacent tile, there are say 5 alien warriors and the predator player would like to engage the 5 warriors in close combat.
Can the predator move to the alien warriors and attack them?
If a third predator moves onto the tile with the two predators and the two infants, then it is possible to attack the warriors on the adjacent tile, right? Since fully tiles adjacent to fully occupied engaged tiles count as engaged.
If there would be 8 instead of 5 warriors it would for the predator also be possible to attack the warriors from the adjacent tile?

4) Suppose a Marine Model got a sentry token from a strategy card (and therefore was not yet activated). What happens if the Predator player plays the strategy card which immediately deactivates a model? Loses the Marine model its sentry token or does it keep the token and it is deactivated, just as it performed a sentry action?

Thanks again for improving the game and answering our questions.
Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
******General Notice************
I have to errata the errata because errare humanum est. I mutiny against myself arrrh

Ignore the reference to "Force the Doors Open (A)" as being an interact action. It is a CC action, it is clearly stated in the rules, and thus you can do that if engaged. It was a slip while editing.

Hybriviladis wrote:

1) Suppose there is a model with a sentry token. A different model activates, spends one action point and completes this action.
Yep, the "immediatelly" takes presidence.

Hybriviladis wrote:

2) At the description of "Smart Disc Throw (A)" stands that the player can choose a tile, up to two tiles away. If you are engaged, can you then throw the Smart Disc on the engaged tile (with a -10 modifier for shooting on an engaged tile)? And if the answer to this is yes, then the player can only make a ranged attacked on the tile his model stands on, since there is no intermediate tile, right? Or is it possible to throw the Smart Disc on the tile a model is standing and an adjacent tile?
Being engaged or not does not matter in any way other than providing modifiers. So you can ALWAYS choose where to shoot, and that is anywere you have LOS (or another rule that breaks los).
If your target is engaged, you get -10. If you are shooting at another tile and you are engaged, you also get -2 because you are engaged (count as intervening). So if you are on an engaged Tile and want to shoot at another engaged Tile, you get minimum -12 (and another -2 for each other intervening tile).

In general, you are praying to "Ace" it.

Hybriviladis wrote:

3) If a model is engaged on a not fully occupied tile. Is there another possibility for the model to move than "Disengaging"?
No, unless a special rule or card allows it.

Hybriviladis wrote:
Maybe let's take an example, say there are two predators together with two alien infants on a tile. On an adjacent tile, there are say 5 alien warriors and the predator player would like to engage the 5 warriors in close combat.
Can the predator move to the alien warriors and attack them?
Nope. Disengage you must, young padaw... ups wrong universe.

Hybriviladis wrote:

If a third predator moves onto the tile with the two predators and the two infants, then it is possible to attack the warriors on the adjacent tile, right? Since fully tiles adjacent to fully occupied engaged tiles count as engaged.
Yes. When a tile is fully occupied and engaged (i.e. containing models of 2+ factions, or next to a crusher, but ignore that case ) all Tiles next to them are automatically "engaged" with the central. So, models from anywhere adjacent can attack the central and the central can attack anywhere adjacent. However, usually, after the central is attacked and a model dies, the central tile is no longer "fully occupied" thus all others lose the "engaged" status.
Hybriviladis wrote:

If there would be 8 instead of 5 warriors it would for the predator also be possible to attack the warriors from the adjacent tile?
Yes. When a tile is fully occupied by models of 1 faction (i.e. NOT engaged), then you can attack from adjacent AS IF you were engaged. The difference is that you are not actually engaged so if you wish to move nobody stops you

Hybriviladis wrote:
4) Suppose a Marine Model got a sentry token from a strategy card (and therefore was not yet activated). What happens if the Predator player plays the strategy card which immediately deactivates a model? Loses the Marine model its sentry token or does it keep the token and it is deactivated, just as it performed a sentry action?
Keeps. Usually the "Sentry" action gives a sentry and an activation token, so there is nothing to dictate you discard.
We have clarified that you discard it if you choose to activate the model while it has a sentry token.[/q]

Cheers,
K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks again for your quick answer! I really like the way you communicate here with us.
The game is really great (and the miniatures are awesome!) and asking you avoids a lot of discussions. I'm really grateful that you take this seriously and that you improve our gameplay by answering our questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hybriviladis wrote:
Thanks again for your quick answer! I really like the way you communicate here with us.
The game is really great (and the miniatures are awesome!) and asking you avoids a lot of discussions. I'm really grateful that you take this seriously and that you improve our gameplay by answering our questions.
I'm actually more active over the FB. Forums are kinda "unfriendly". I find it quite hard to read bgg over the phone while FB is far easier.

Cheers,
K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger, roger. Next time i'll send a PM to Prodos at FB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Lekkas
Greece
Karditsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hybriviladis wrote:
Roger, roger. Next time i'll send a PM to Prodos at FB.
Hahah So it was you who sent to Prodos? They forwarded the question hehe

I mean, you can always find me in the groups, especially the official. I am not a Prodos employee (dispite so many people believing in santa claus and that).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AvP.Prodos.Games.Official/

Cheers,
K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls