Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
Kalyvia/Lagonissi
Attika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've accumulated 7 karma, and I'm wondering what upgrades would be best to get...in y'alls opinion. We are playing a human and an ork. I'm thinking it might be better to get to 10 karma before upgrading. Or are the 5 karma upgrades good enough? I am entertaining your opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poisonguy wrote:
We've accumulated 7 karma, and I'm wondering what upgrades would be best to get...in y'alls opinion. We are playing a human and an ork. I'm thinking it might be better to get to 10 karma before upgrading. Or are the 5 karma upgrades good enough? I am entertaining your opinions.
You can purchase a 5k award now and then 'cover it' later (getting back the spent karma to make the next purchase).

At the 5 level in Crossfire, the +1 stat boosts are very nice, to either make you better at something you're good at, or at something you're bad at (depends on play style and your experiences).

Because you can always sell back Upgrades, don't be afraid to experiment to find what works for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
Kalyvia/Lagonissi
Attika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. We went ahead with 5 Karma upgrades for now; 1 extra HP for the Orc and 1 extra starting card for the Human.

By selling back, do you mean just covering up a 5 Karma upgrade with another 5 Karma upgrade?

Just so I get the next upgrade right, let me confirm. I now have a 5 Karma upgrade and 5 free Karma to spend. If I want to add a 10 Karma upgrade in the future, I will have to accumulate another 10 more Karma or is it 15?

After a brutal start (2 of our first 3 games had us face 6 2-damage obstacles in scene 3 - due to back to back Crossfire cards that made us add obstacles), we've won the last 2 convincingly. I hope these upgrades will help when the game swings the other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Poisonguy wrote:
Thanks for the info. We went ahead with 5 Karma upgrades for now; 1 extra HP for the Orc and 1 extra starting card for the Human.

By selling back, do you mean just covering up a 5 Karma upgrade with another 5 Karma upgrade?

Just so I get the next upgrade right, let me confirm. I now have a 5 Karma upgrade and 5 free Karma to spend. If I want to add a 10 Karma upgrade in the future, I will have to accumulate another 10 more Karma or is it 15?

After a brutal start (2 of our first 3 games had us face 6 2-damage obstacles in scene 3 - due to back to back Crossfire cards that made us add obstacles), we've won the last 2 convincingly. I hope these upgrades will help when the game swings the other way.
Let's say you have a 5k upgrade. When you reach 10k, you can cover up the 5k with a 10k upgrade. You won't have access to the first upgrade, and you'll have a total of one upgrade.

When you reach 20k, you can either:
1. Cover up the first upgrade slot with an upgrade worth up to 20k, or
2. Have two upgrades, each worth 5k. You are spending 5k per upgrade plus 10k for the second slot.

Another way to think about it is that any time you want (outside of a mission) you can restart from scratch and completely re-spec your upgrades as long as you obey the various restrictions and costs.

If you use the physical stickers you may be limited to how many stickers you own, but you are allowed to buy as many stickers as you want (again, subject to limitations such as not repeating sticker names).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
Kalyvia/Lagonissi
Attika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at it as paying for the real estate (the slot) makes it easier to understand. You can plop down anything you've earned as long as the real estate is paid for (and the first slot come paid for ).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Poisonguy wrote:
2 of our first 3 games had us face 6 2-damage obstacles in scene 3
Assuming roughly half the obstacles are naturally 2-damage obstacles, that's like a 1 in 64 chance all six will be 2's.

Over two games, chances all 12 scene 3 obstacles are naturally 2-damage is 1 in 4096. Ouch.

Multiply that by the chances you'd have to even face 6 obstacles in a 2p game...you should buy a lottery ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
Kalyvia/Lagonissi
Attika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Assuming roughly half the obstacles are naturally 2-damage obstacles, that's like a 1 in 64 chance all six will be 2's.

Over two games, chances all 12 scene 3 obstacles are naturally 2-damage is 1 in 4096. Ouch.

Multiply that by the chances you'd have to even face 6 obstacles in a 2p game...you should buy a lottery ticket.
If the odds were inversely proportional...maybe. (Actually, one Crossfire card made one of the obstacles hit for 1 extra damage, but I didn't want to go through the entire story, so I kept it simple). But yeah, it was brutal and discouraging.

And the other thing that happened is that every obstacle card to begin a new scene matched one of my wife's role colors! You can imagine she wasn't too impressed with this new game I brought home.

But things turned around yesterday. It was fun to each be able to purchase a 9-value card. We kicked some ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Total karma earned is a threshold for total karma currently in use.

We play that you can completely respec within those limits at any time (to include 'selling back' slots that are not in use).

In practice, we don't move things around too much, unless we find that a planned combo just isn't pulling its weight.

We also don't 'use up' the stickers, we use post-it tape and write what we've got on that... Post-it tape it cheap, replacement stickers are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
Kalyvia/Lagonissi
Attika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had another good run last night. My extra card upgrade to start the game really came in handy. Were able to get into the 3rd scene with no Crossfire cards in the discard. Sweet. We had to take on a fifth obstacle obstacle, but by that time we were ahead of the game. And only 2 of the 10 obstacles we faced stuck for 2. It was nice for a change. So, after a brutal start, that's 3 straight wins.

Anyway, thanks for the info Byron. Curious, though, since I think I read somewhere that you've played the game a lot; do you use the same 2 runners on most of your missions or have you decked up a few runners that you mix and match on your missions?

Also, do you always assign your runners the same roll each game? My wife and I like to play around with them (me with the Mage, mostly, and Street Samurai and her with the Face, mostly and Decker).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poisonguy wrote:
We had another good run last night. My extra card upgrade to start the game really came in handy. Were able to get into the 3rd scene with no Crossfire cards in the discard. Sweet. We had to take on a fifth obstacle obstacle, but by that time we were ahead of the game. And only 2 of the 10 obstacles we faced stuck for 2. It was nice for a change. So, after a brutal start, that's 3 straight wins.

Anyway, thanks for the info Byron. Curious, though, since I think I read somewhere that you've played the game a lot; do you use the same 2 runners on most of your missions or have you decked up a few runners that you mix and match on your missions?
2p campaign w/ my wife to the 150+ karma range.
A few multiplayer campaigns (varies by attendance) at annual conventions. The core teams at those are 2 people and others come in as they are able, taking us to 3 or 4.

Quote:
Also, do you always assign your runners the same roll each game? My wife and I like to play around with them (me with the Mage, mostly, and Street Samurai and her with the Face, mostly and Decker).
The characters *tend* to take the same roles game to game. In the multiplayer campaigns, sometimes we get someone who really wants a specific role, so we'll bounce things around a little.

I can play any role, it's more about my friends enjoying themselves. I figure they can play the role they prefer if I get to tell them where in the marching order they probably want to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls