6 Posts

Teotihuacan: City of Gods» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification on constructing the pyramid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Razvan Rizea
msg tools
mbmbmb
if I have 2 workers on construction can I build only one tile since I don’t have enough resources for the second tile?

I searched through forums and I read the rules a thousand times. It may be obvious the answer but I can’t find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
BlindRazvan wrote:
if I have 2 workers on construction can I build only one tile since I don’t have enough resources for the second tile?

I searched through forums and I read the rules a thousand times. It may be obvious the answer but I can’t find it.
You can build one tile.

You must build at least one tile as per the rules on page 15 (underlining mine):

Construction (8)
You may select one of the available Pyramid tiles and add it to the Pyramid for each worker you have on the Construction (8) Action Board. You must add at least one tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. You must have the resources for each tile that you build.

BUT, if you build a first tile that matches a color symbol, and you advance on a temple track and gain the necessary resource(s), you MAY use those resources to build another tile (assuming that you have more workers on the location so that you get multiple build actions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razvan Rizea
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the answer. Now I can enjoy this beautiful game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time this week and asked that exact question about building a tile, using the rewards from building it to fund the second tile. Our group did not allow it.

Is that in the rules somewhere or in FAQs?

BTW, I ordered the game the net day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain1957 wrote:
I played this for the first time this week and asked that exact question about building a tile, using the rewards from building it to fund the second tile. Our group did not allow it.

Is that in the rules somewhere or in FAQs?

BTW, I ordered the game the net day.
It's hinted at in the rules, and explicitly allowed in the FAQ.

Rules p.15 wrote:
If adding more than one tile to the Pyramid, always fully resolve
all effects before adding the next tile, including the scoring of
Victory Points, advancement on the Pyramid track, as well as
temple advancements, if any.
FAQ wrote:
Q: What resources do I need to have in advance of taking an action? Can I use the benefit of one effect to pay the cost
of a simultaneous effect?
A: ...
Additionally, if you are taking a Main action that requires spending resources (developing a technology, building
houses, adding decorations to the pyramid, or adding tiles to the pyramid — Action Boards 5, 6, 7, and 8) you
must also have enough resources on hand to actually perform the action itself. In case of the Construction (8)
board, this means you must have enough resources to be able to add at least one tile to the pyramid.

Any resources gained as a direct result of taking the action cannot be used to pay for any of the costs above.

However, resources acquired in one step of the action can be used to pay any resource costs required to continue
the action.

Example 2: You have just moved a second worker onto the Construction (8) board where you intend to add tiles to
the pyramid. After paying the required cocoa cost, you realize that you only have 3 stone on hand. You decide to
pay 2 stone to add a tile to the bottom level of the pyramid and manage to match a red icon in the process. After
scoring the appropriate number of Victory Points for this tile placement, you advance your marker by 1 step on
the red temple. This marker just reached a major step on the temple, allowing you to claim one of the available
Discovery tiles on this step. You decide to take a tile which grants you an advancement on the blue temple. Then
you advance your marker by 1 step on the Pyramid track. Left with just 1 stone, but still allowed to add one more
tile to the pyramid, you now activate the Discovery tile you just claimed, thereby advancing your marker by 1 step
on the blue temple, gaining a resource of your choice. You decide to take 1 stone resource. Since you now have
enough stone on hand to continue your action, you pay the required resources to add a second tile to the
pyramid
, scoring victory points, possible temple advancement, and so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls