Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Has Anyone Tried Increasing Gold Gain? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Boeger
United States
California
flag msg tools
At this point, I've played several games, and they always seem hit or miss as far as whether I'll actually have enough upgrades to defeat the boss at the end. This is great for difficulty, but it made me wonder about what it'd feel like to become an ultimate badass running around this world just slaying everything. The easiest way to do this seems to be doubling gold earned. It can often be hard for non-combative heroes to get the ball rolling when it comes to purchasing items in the cities because combat seems to be the primary means of earning gold. I think I'm going to try doubling gold gains when I get time to play this on the weekend and see how it feels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than Gold for more badass characters, I allow 4 Actions per turn, and Adventuring only costs 1 Action. You get a lot more time to run around having fun before the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've tested this? Doesn't break the game or anything? Doesn't it give you too much time? No pressure from the timer, wouldn't that make it a little dull? Just asking im curious.

sixthecat wrote:
Rather than Gold for more badass characters, I allow 4 Actions per turn, and Adventuring only costs 1 Action. You get a lot more time to run around having fun before the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
You've tested this? Doesn't break the game or anything? Doesn't it give you too much time? No pressure from the timer, wouldn't that make it a little dull? Just asking im curious.

sixthecat wrote:
I've played it solo many times with 4 actions, or Adventuring costing 1, or both. There's still timer pressure, but you can have fun adventuring, rather than being stuck doing whatever is optimal.

Sometimes, I put the adventure tokens in an opaque cup, so those are randomized.

I prefer playing like it's Elder Scrolls, where I have plenty of time to have fun, and not be forced into just "winning" the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:

sixthecat wrote:
I've been playing (solo) with 4 actions each turn in addition to using:

*Blind Markets (Assets in a given city are facedown until you get there),
*Dead Is Dead (if you lose combat, you're done)
*a Critically Wounded penalty (whenever you have damage exceeding half your Health, you can only move one hex unless you match one of your dice to your current terrain)
*and these randomized Adventure gems (which I don't refresh)
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/163697/custom-adventure-g...

. . .and it's still brutally hard enough that I'm gonna experiment with 5 actions per turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azrael67 wrote:
BIgLatinDude wrote:

sixthecat wrote:
I've been playing (solo) with 4 actions each turn in addition to using:

*Blind Markets (Assets in a given city are facedown until you get there),
*Dead Is Dead (if you lose combat, you're done)
*a Critically Wounded penalty (whenever you have damage exceeding half your Health, you can only move one hex unless you match one of your dice to your current terrain)
*and these randomized Adventure gems (which I don't refresh)
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/163697/custom-adventure-g...

. . .and it's still brutally hard enough that I'm gonna experiment with 5 actions per turn
This sounds like a nice config for solo play - will try this next time around, for a more open-world style play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls