15 Posts

Ascension: Skulls & Sails» Forums » General

Subject: Would have been perfect if Solo Friendly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Halifax
msg tools
mbmbmb
This would have been a no-brainer purchase for me... if it would have been solo friendly.

Pirates & Ascension? and Ship Movement ? come on - this was near perfect.

But with main features geared towards raiding and stealing from "opponents," seems this one really amps up player interaction.

cry arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a bit early to be launching this criticism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Halifax
msg tools
mbmbmb
Eh, not really, that's taken from the various sites/stores promoting it.
This is a 2+ where the main "extra" mechanics of the game revolve around raiding and stealing from other players.

Kinda the opposite of solo

Not saying it's not a good game, not really criticizing it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
I have never lost at Ascension nor Shards of Infinity.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scotiangamer1 wrote:
Pirates & Ascension? and Ship Movement ? come on - this was near perfect.
I'm totally cool with a 9-out-of-10 score. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo mode as is in Ascension already features "useless" cards like "destroying an opponent's constructs" or letting them discard cards.

If you enjoy playing Ascension solo right now, I think stealing from a player could be handled some way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ashman wrote:
The solo mode as is in Ascension already features "useless" cards like "destroying an opponent's constructs" or letting them discard cards.

If you enjoy playing Ascension solo right now, I think stealing from a player could be handled some way.
I was just thinking the same thing. Set up 1-3 dummy opponents' decks who take X amount of cards from the center each turn (roll a d6 to determine which, or decide based on a cost factor, or a combination of both), and then if you obtain cards that allow you to plunder their decks, follow the rules accordingly...if the opponent's cards aren't meant to be chosen specifically, flip the opponent's deck face-down, shuffle it and choose a card at random (this seems more "fair" as it doesn't let you stack your deck with ultra-powerful cards, but I haven't read rules yet for Skull & Sails).

Sidenote: Huuuze, I thought I was out...my Ascension collection is bursting at the seams, and I thought "That is enough Ascension", and BAM! Outta nowhere...Pirates and their ships. It's as if SB knew I was playing Freeport and 7th Sea--wait--is StoneBlade surveilling me?!?!

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no such thing as "enough Ascension".

But I fear that - looking at the spatial elements of the board - it will be a difficult task to fit this into the already crammed app.

Temples, Dreamscape, Events - every expansion requires another piece of screen. And you have to be able to combine them all ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ashman wrote:
And you have to be able to combine them all ...
Can't just play vanilla...gotta combine 'em all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scythesedge82 wrote:
ashman wrote:
And you have to be able to combine them all ...
Can't just play vanilla...gotta combine 'em all! :)
It really depends:

- I've playing with a friend who only has the base game for years, and it's still fun.
- From time to time combining everything is fun, but several mechanisms become close to unusable then
- Most fun I have combining two sets and finding out the new combinations but still with some sort of consistency

What I meant was that Playdek as the developer have to make sure that everything can be combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Francois Bessette
Canada
Boucherville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So like Alliances it doesn't have solo rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:

But I fear that - looking at the spatial elements of the board - it will be a difficult task to fit this into the already crammed app.

Temples, Dreamscape, Events - every expansion requires another piece of screen. And you have to be able to combine them all ...
Is the app still being updated? The last two sets aren't on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
I have never lost at Ascension nor Shards of Infinity.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:
ashman wrote:

You'll need to speak with Playdek and Asmodee Digital for an official response. However, it's safe to say that Delirium was a success and most successful releases find their way to the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huuuze wrote:
adamxpaul wrote:
ashman wrote:

You'll need to speak with Playdek and Asmodee Digital for an official response. However, it's safe to say that Delirium was a success and most successful releases find their way to the app.
Valley of the Ancients was the last one that showed up, but that was only a few months ago.

I would be willing to bet that we'll see the next one after that relatively soon.

I have no inside knowledge (though I wish I did!) but that's been the case since things started up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like Valley came out more than just a few months ago, but I don't remember the exact date. However, Huuuze has spoken, so I'm not too worried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It came out around October 25 (that's when I did my blog post about it dropping).

I think they used to be around 6 months apart, so that means hopefully soon!

Fingers crossed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls