Adrian McDevitt
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
Designed for the 2019 9 Card Game Print and Play Design Contest.

9 Card Game Print and Play Design Contest: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2126346/2019-9-card-game-pr...

Dice-scraper Builder
Player count: 2

Components:
9 Cards
Three Resource cards (Two +1s, one +2)
Three Action cards (one -1 Mafia, one 1 Insurance, and one -1 Sabotage)
Three Resource/Action cards (one Wild Die(R)/-2 Mafia(A), one +2(R)/Wild Die Sabotage(A), one +2(R)/Wild Die Insurance(A))
Rulebook
18 6 sided die

Summary:
Dice-scraper Builder is a two player game. The goal of the game is to build the tallest skyscraper of dice in five turns or until all resources have been used after the end of a turn. To build one's skyscraper, players will play resource cards to build his/her skyscraper. However, each player must look out for the other player, for he/she can use an action card to sabotage the production of the other player's skyscraper by either destroying parts (Sabotage) of the skyscraper or stealing parts (Mafia) of the skyscraper for themselves. A player can defend these parts with an Insurance (an Action Card) to defend his/her parts from Sabotage or Mafia. Also, there are a few cards that both have a Resource and an Action (Resource/Action cards). A player can use this card to either add dice to his or her skyscraper or perform one of the Actions, but not both.

I'd like my game to be entered into:

Best Overall Game

Rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bVgAZwvq_NNibUNL8IILmQnrH9h...
Components: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ExYAJIECtNVfrFBbvB84WIReN3g...

Edit 1:

Here are the revised version of my rules: IGNORE, these rules are outdated

Edit 2(IMPORTANT): I had my instructor take a look at my original game, and he didn't really think it was that great and told me to start from scratch. So, I came up with this new game. Still want it in the same category though. I've already edited it of GDCR.

Edit 3: Switched to Component Phase since I was told March 31 was the deadline. Been busy with other college stuff, so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the game.

Edit 4: Switching to Contest Ready Phase and I changed some of the numbers for the cards, added a new card type, and edit the rules and card design to fit more in line with the changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowen Jeffery
msg tools
mb
Re: [ WIP ] - Seven Eight Nine - 2019 9 Card Game Contest - Idea Phase
Hello! Your game looked interesting, so I thought I’d give it a go. I really like how it is based around a joke! After all, I am the SteamPUNkist

*Note - I’m running low on cardstock, so I made my own small versions of the cards. Since the design is so simple, it was pretty easy to make.

My run went pretty well, and I only lost one health. The game strikes me as a bit too easy, but that could’ve been complete luck.

I have a couple questions regarding the abilities.

First, Rule 3/a/vi says that you can only abilities once. Is it saying that you use each ability once during the entire game, or that you can use it once per card?

Also, I think that shuffling with the coins is a bit difficult. Maybe it could be changed that those cards are just turned face up when using 2’s ability? This could ruin the luck, though. Although, maybe all face up cards could be turned face down at the end of the next turn.

I think that that could also work with 3’s ability. The card could be removed for one round, but is added back in after a round. This could help make the game a bit more difficult.

Does 1’s ability mean that you just don’t shuffle the chosen card until the next turn? That’s what I did, but the wording was a bit confusing.

I really like the simplistic design of the cards. It’s nice to not be overwhelmed with a bunch of words and rules. That being said, it might be beneficial to add the abilities onto the cards, in case you didn’t have the rules, or just forgot. The flow of the game does get a bit messed up if you have to keep checking the rules. I’m sure that after a few games you could memorize the abilities, though.

Another suggestion is to make have more numbers cards (I.e, 4, 5, and 6). I know that it might not fit with the narrative, but it does make a bit more sense than having multiple of the same card.

That could mean that you would have to add more abilities, though. I do have some suggestions, because I know it can be hard to think of abilities.

- One of the cards could just do nothing. Simple as that
- You could pick a card randomly and reveal it. If it’s a bad number, you would lose 2 health, but if it was a good number, you could gain a health
- You could pay a health (if you had more than one), to reveal a card as normal

One last thing is that you could implement an action system. For example, you could have a limited number of quarters (say, 3) that you could place on a number card that you have to do it’s ability. Once it’s placed, you can’t move it. This would also be a good way to keep track of which abilities you’ve already used.

Wow, that’s a long post. Sorry if it seems like I’m being way to harsh or controlling or anything, these are all just suggestions that I think could improve your game. Don’t feel at all like you’re obligated to do any of this.

In short, this is a fun, simple, solitaire game, but could definitely use some additions/changes. Well done!

Thanks for listening to my suggestions! Good luck with your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Love the theme.
Before reading the rules, I thought it would be cool to use the idea for some dice rolling game with combining the dice into pairs and trying to avoid the sum of 7, 8 and 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Murdock
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that the name of the game is based off a joke. I am a sucker for a good theme, but you could totally ham it up and maybe 7, 8, and 9 all have different effects. Like 7 is a killer so super bad, 8 is the accomplice to 7, and 9 is the hapless victim that befuddles you in an attempt to make you a better target. Hahaha maybe I just love corny stuff too much though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian McDevitt
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
TheSteampunkist wrote:
Hello! Your game looked interesting, so I thought I’d give it a go. I really like how it is based around a joke! After all, I am the SteamPUNkist
Thank you for taking the time to play my extremely rough prototype.

My run went pretty well, and I only lost one health. The game strikes me as a bit too easy, but that could’ve been complete luck.[/q]

Luck does play a bit of role, because I kept finding the bad cards in my private play tests. The luck did lead me to change the arrangement a bit. As of now, there are five cards on the bottom and four on the top. The cards are dealt the same way as before (I'll post an revised version of the rules above). I can always go back if other play tests do not have a problem with this.

I have a couple questions regarding the abilities.

First, Rule 3/a/vi says that you can only abilities once. Is it saying that you use each ability once during the entire game, or that you can use it once per card?[/q]

What that rule means is if you use a card, then that card can't be used for the rest of the game. For example, if you have two 1s in your hand, and you decide to use one, then that one card you used cannot be used for the rest of the game. The other 1 in hand can be used later on if you want.

Also, I think that shuffling with the coins is a bit difficult. Maybe it could be changed that those cards are just turned face up when using 2’s ability? This could ruin the luck, though. Although, maybe all face up cards could be turned face down at the end of the next turn.[/q]

I also thought that was difficult, so I just dumped the quarters. I did decide to keep the reveled card flipped up. I do have in the revised rules that the revealed cards will revealed for the entire match, but I might try that idea of turning the revealed card back down after that turn.

[q=I think that that could also work with 3’s ability. The card could be removed for one round, but is added back in after a round. This could help make the game a bit more difficult.[/q]

I could revise the revised rules to have it where 3 can remove a bad card for a turn (if a bad card is picked), or it could remove a good card for the rest of the game (if a good one is picked). The reason why I say this is because I did think of another phase to the game after you find all the cards, but I'll get into that later.

[q=Does 1’s ability mean that you just don’t shuffle the chosen card until the next turn? That’s what I did, but the wording was a bit confusing.[/q wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get across. However, I later thought 1s role was kinda useless, so I changed 1s ability to being able to shield the player from losing health if he/she picks a bad card.

[q=I really like the simplistic design of the cards. It’s nice to not be overwhelmed with a bunch of words and rules. That being said, it might be beneficial to add the abilities onto the cards, in case you didn’t have the rules, or just forgot. The flow of the game does get a bit messed up if you have to keep checking the rules. I’m sure that after a few games you could memorize the abilities, though.
I could definitely put that on the card below the number, especially now that I know how to export my cards to a pdf without tearing my hair out.

[q=Another suggestion is to make have more numbers cards (I.e, 4, 5, and 6). I know that it might not fit with the narrative, but it does make a bit more sense than having multiple of the same card.[/q wrote:

I did initially have a six, which you had to find to win the game, but I found that boring in my private play tests, so I replaced that with another 1. I did try to think of other numbers and abilities for said numbers, but the abilities I was coming up with didn't seem to be useful, so I stuck to the three.

[q=That could mean that you would have to add more abilities, though. I do have some suggestions, because I know it can be hard to think of abilities.

- One of the cards could just do nothing. Simple as that
- You could pick a card randomly and reveal it. If it’s a bad number, you would lose 2 health, but if it was a good number, you could gain a health
- You could pay a health (if you had more than one), to reveal a card as normal
Cards that do nothing, to me, wouldn't really work too well with the other phase of the game that I came up with (I'll talk about it later and it's in the revised rules). I could use some sort of version of you second idea. Like, I could make it to where 7, the main bad card, takes two health points if selected. I feel your third suggestion would give the player essentially more 2s (ability-wise), but I could mess with it.

[q=One last thing is that you could implement an action system. For example, you could have a limited number of quarters (say, 3) that you could place on a number card that you have to do it’s ability. Once it’s placed, you can’t move it. This would also be a good way to keep track of which abilities you’ve already used.[/q wrote:

I don't know if that would work with the final phase (again, will explain later down below and in the revised rules). I would probably just add a rule that tell the player to set a used card aside.

[q=Wow, that’s a long post. Sorry if it seems like I’m being way to harsh or controlling or anything, these are all just suggestions that I think could improve your game. Don’t feel at all like you’re obligated to do any of this.

In short, this is a fun, simple, solitaire game, but could definitely use some additions/changes. Well done!

Thanks for listening to my suggestions! Good luck with your game!
Oh no, I knew my game was very rough and not extremely developed. It was hard coming up with a nine card game, especially a good one. I was kinda worried this was a real half-baked game, which lead me to add on to it to make it less half-baked. So any suggestions are welcomed.

Here are a few things I added to the game:

- A final phase where you have to fight the bad cards by rolling dice and getting the sum of the dice to be higher than the number of the bad card the player is fighting. The number of dice a player rolls would be based on the number of cards they did not use in the first phase. For more details, read the revised rules.

- Added an extra health point.

Thank you for the suggestions, and I hope you take a look at the revised game.

Revised rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NWsC7GTfCX6pJXjd7rlW1ayrpeJ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian McDevitt
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
Also, sorry if the reply is a bit messy. I'm used to Bungie.net's quote tool, which is why you'll see all of those qs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowen Jeffery
msg tools
mb
Looking at the new rules, I really like the boss phase idea. That’s really cool, and gives the player incentive to not use the abilities.

Also, looking pretty well improved in general!

Very excited for the full game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I noticed that your game is not entered into any categories in the contest. Categories help players find games they are interested in (i.e. if they are looking for a two-player game or a wargame, it is easy to find in the categories.)

If you would like to enter your game in categories, please log into the GDCR and fill out the form. Remember, there is a separate form for game categories and designer categories.

If you have questions, I have created a video walking through the process:

I've already taken the liberty of adding your game to the Best Overall Games category since every game in the contest is eligible for that category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls