24 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Variants

Subject: Your top 3 house rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
'Bleeding tokens during hunt'

After resolving a hunt space and before revealing the next space, each survivor who has a bandage in their inventory may roll a d10. On an even number, they remove 1 bleeding token from any survivor. Limit, once per survivor with a bandage per hunt space.
*This is more for thematic reasons than to nerf the game, I find it mildly annoying that on a hunt, when there's less sense of urgency, a survivor with a bandage isn't able to remove bleeding tokens.

'Intimacy roll SOTF' (Others probably do this too)

Both the male and the female survivors must spend their lifetime rerolls
when rerolling for intimacy.

'Refreshing lifetime reroll'

During the settlement phase, a survivor may spend 2 endeavors and reduce at least 3 positive attributes permanently (attributes must be at a positive value) Eg. Survivor Bob reduces his 2 speed and 1 luck to zero speed and zero luck. After reducing the attributes, roll a d10 for each attribute reduced, so, reducing 3 attribute points rolls 3 d10s. If the total value is greater than 10, refresh the lifetime reroll for the survivor. Bellow 10, nothing happens... you've wasted your attributes. Survivor skips the next hunt to contemplate their destiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
The only house rule we have is no house rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No talking about "Death Club"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Mallow
msg tools
42!
badge
Greetings!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I shuffled everything together:

Only one I have is if the Fighting Art or Disorder makes absolutely no sense because we aren't using a particular expansion you can redraw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
We haven't played much of the campaign yet, several Showdowns in on our second settlement after the first one failed from multiple Murder event draws and instant deaths from other random events.

So the only house rule we have agreed on is any Survivor may expend a Survival point to re/roll an event that results in instant Death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arent really house rules, but we obey these which makes sense for us.

1. No duplicate settlement events in a year. Random draw whiffs if its already on the timeline.

2. If we arent playing with say the Flower Knight. But I want my Fighting Art deck to still have Otherworldly Luck, then my Disorder deck must also have Flower Addiction. Up to us how to deal with it.

3. If moving the monster to a target has equal pathing to get there, and one path knocks over survivors, while another path doesnt. The Monster Controller is free to use the safer path. From what ive seen people say about this, this is actually the RAW and "rule of death" doesnt apply for monster movement because the book says the controller can choose, but each space moved must be one space closer to the target. Its only the DBK's ball that must actually zig-zag.

4. During any phase, any survivors with lifetime rerolls may spend their reroll for another survivor in the phase. So I can spend my reroll to lend a hand to another survivor dying on a hunt or rerolling on the severe injury table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Miller
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spaced2020 wrote:
We haven't played much of the campaign yet, several Showdowns in on our second settlement after the first one failed from multiple Murder event draws and instant deaths from other random events.

So the only house rule we have agreed on is any Survivor may expend a Survival point to re/roll an event that results in instant Death.
Kingdom Near-Death-Experience: Monster

If you're using survival to re-roll death - I like your chances in the campaign. Although, I think you might be depriving yourself of the real beauty of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
OuterPop wrote:
spaced2020 wrote:

Kingdom Near-Death-Experience: Monster

If you're using survival to re-roll death - I like your chances in the campaign. Although, I think you might be depriving yourself of the real beauty of this game.
I think you are right, however I want the gaming group I have to give it a real chance and after the unfortunate first campaign they were going to shelve it - too many other games to play - so this was the best compromise

We still have plenty of death and maiming regardless
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With one of my groups that could use a smoother game (can't afford to meet often at all, want to experience late game) I gave them an even stronger version of the lifetime reroll (they did pick SoTF): it can be used to redraw a settlement event if the event affects the survivor spending the lifetime reroll.

Mind you I would not do this with experienced players, but with a group of newbies that is blundering through things and definitely not "optimizing" their run, it's quite fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Swap the spinnerets on silk body suit with the silken nervous system on silk turban. This makes the silk armor set much more usable (although still not good).

2. You can have one savior of each color. Slightly un-nerfs PtY. It's still weaker than SotF but it's fun to do a campaign focused on earning and burning saviors. It also gives you an actual reason to use red and blue saviors.

3. When a survivor is born I just add one to the population. Then when I actually want a new survivor I create their sheet and apply all the "on birth" stuff. Cuts down on bookkeeping quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cymbaline
msg tools
hwknight wrote:
'Intimacy roll SOTF' (Others probably do this too)

Both the male and the female survivors must spend their lifetime rerolls
when rerolling for intimacy.
Do you still allow other people from the settlement to use their rerolls for intimacy?

Our only real house rule is that the same settlement cannot be drawn within ten years of its last draw. Draw Lights in the Sky LY5? It can't hit again till LY16.

We have been known to quietly reshuffle the HL deck if the trap is the first card drawn after hitting a trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dlthorpe wrote:
4. During any phase, any survivors with lifetime rerolls may spend their reroll for another survivor in the phase. So I can spend my reroll to lend a hand to another survivor dying on a hunt or rerolling on the severe injury table.
This is standard practice, no need for a house rule. According to Poots, any survivor who is present can spend a reroll for any die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine:

• Founding Stones thrown at a HL with no Critical cause a regular wound, unless the HL is Super-Dense or Impervious.

• Ammunition is subject to bonuses/penalties that affect the survivor's bow, e.g. Cumbersome, Mastery, etc.; wounding with ammunition applies toward Bow weapon proficiency.

• An unfrenzied survivor with bonus Speed from a source other than their weapon may choose to ignore some or all of that bonus when attacking. An unfrenzied survivor with Paired weapons may choose to ignore Paired on an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valk _
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slight spoilers ahead.

1) No harvester event, reroll if you get it. It's not even the auto death under specific situations that bugged me, it's that afterwards the group stopped carrying/using specific gear that I found fun. It really just led to less versatility and good options on what to make.

2) Using Fen's 5/6th player variant rules, its working out very well so far.

3) No infinite loops. The white lion one was fixed, I would only give the butcher an extra 2-3 kicks if he gets into a loop. It's just silly and can happen if you're very unlucky even if you're being careful.

riffraff wrote:
Mine:

• Founding Stones thrown at a HL with no critical cause a regular wound, unless the HL is Super-Dense or Impervious.
I would use that but my current campaign has 13-15 founding stones because everyone was stingy about using them and kept on finding more. It would be funny to just auto kill a boss by equipping dozens of founding stones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Valk wrote:
I would use that but my current campaign has 13-15 founding stones because everyone was stingy about using them and kept on finding more. It would be funny to just auto kill a boss by equipping dozens of founding stones.
heh :) If I ever had enough of them that the possibility came up, I would probably also rule they're subject to the 'no duplicate gear' rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biff Drinkwater
msg tools
mbmbmb
Valk wrote:
Slight spoilers ahead.
1) No harvester event, reroll if you get it. It's not even the auto death under specific situations that bugged me, it's that afterwards the group stopped carrying/using specific gear that I found fun. It really just led to less versatility and good options on what to make.
I do something similar where I just ignore the whole "noisy" aspect of the event. If noisy gear was incredibly good BiS gear it might be worth the risk of autodeath, but it definitely isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
What do you mean by 'others' in the settlement?

Only the two survivors involved in Intimacy may reroll for it (and either both expend their lifetime rerolls for a reroll of both die or no reroll), no other survivor may roll for them, if that's what you mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hwknight wrote:
What do you mean by 'others' in the settlement?

Only the two survivors involved in Intimacy may reroll for it (and either both expend their lifetime rerolls for a reroll of both die or no reroll), no other survivor may roll for them, if that's what you mean.
As the rules currently stand, you can spend one reroll to roll a single die, for example if you roll a 1 and an 8, you can use one reroll to for the 1 and keep the 8. So if you need to reroll both dice to prevent death, you will need two rerolls.
And as stated by Adam Poots himself, the SotF rerolls are quite versatile and can be used by any survivor present to change the roll result, so during the settlement phase, that's everyone.
Source: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24176337#24176337
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
2 days since last time we smeared someone in lion's feces
badge
I always thought that the Prodigal Sorcerer was the definition of ugly.
mbmbmbmbmb
riffraff wrote:
Valk wrote:
heh If I ever had enough of them that the possibility came up, I would probably also rule they're subject to the 'no duplicate gear' rule.
That is actually how boring people used to kill the Watcher back then, after 19 years of skinning L1 white lions and sending four crippled idiots to nemesis fights, besides exploiting retinues.

Founding Stone is a weapon, weapons can be duplicated but the second (and third, and so on) ones just get their text blanked, except negative traits and attack profile.

And here's the catch: you discard the founding stone when you use it. So, your second Founding stone becomes your first, gets its text back, and can be used. When you use that second stone, your third Founding Stone becomes your first, and so on.

More than one person just pelted the Watcher with stones in a way Herod would have applauded. You know what, the first time it is hilarious, too. Now, we are working with ACME to have a piano fall on the guy from way above - it should be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falchonon Windbö
msg tools
mbmbmb
No running away of monsters during the hunt phase... Just more random events if they would leave the board. It's just so annoying.

And a lot more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falchonon wrote:
No running away of monsters during the hunt phase... Just more random events if they would leave the board. It's just so annoying.

And a lot more...
You playing 1.3? You know version 1.5 got rid of monsters running off the hunt board in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bannister Nicholas
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly tweaks for thematic 'problems' I had with things,

1. Nemesis monsters are considered special showdowns, you don't leave to hunt, so no depart bonuses (it states in the showdown, you do not depart), but you can perform a hunt phase after in the same LY (but no healing phase).

2. Newborn rules, we add in a (c)hild tag and (t)een tag, cannot nominate child for intimacy, teens get a -1 intimacy roll, Also, intimacy causes the parent a -1 to future intimacy rolls.

3. Settlement Events once drawn are put into a discard pile and are not drawn again. (also I have 1.3 & 1.5, so I shuffled them together and took out 1 murder & 1 plague)

p.s.
The idea of making anything less deadly, doesn't make sense to me, There is a 'lost settlement' tick system, and it looks like you really want to get at least the first 2 or even 3 of them, that means you need to lose 10-15 settlements to unlock some truly awesome characters.

Edited: for top three

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Convex Hull
Germany
flag msg tools
So, I've been KD:m-ing: playing, reading and watching streams a lot more than usual these past weeks. I've not played with any house rules ever, but I'm going to implement these four in my next campaigns:

1.) Chow Down, Cocoon and Lick Wounds can not be rearranged with the raw hide headband (Crest Crown still works - if we can defeat a L3 Phoenix we are entitled to farm the heck out of L1 antelopes whenever we feel the need to).

2.) Murder isn't in the settlement event deck, so it can never be drawn but only triggered by other events.

3.) Plaque is only introduced into the event deck after choosing a society principle. The idea is that only larger settlements are susceptible to this desease.

4.) Expansion fighting arts and disorders are only part of the decks when the respective expansion monster is part of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls