Spyro Spyro
msg tools
I have been playing legendary for almost a year now. I currently have three expansions: Noir, Dark City, and X-men. That was the order that I received them in. The game is really fun and has become my family's favorite game, but there is one complaint. Ever since we got the Dark City expansion, we can never seem to win, we are just getting constantly pummeled by the onslaught of villains that we can never seem to overpower. Has anyone else experienced this? The problem was just compounded by the X-men expansion. Any tips or advice on how to overcome this obstacle to put us and the villains on a more even playing field?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark City and X-Men are probably the two hardest expansions so maybe you weren't ready to "level up" yet? Anyway, they're all winnable. It's really hard to give you any tips on what you might do better without actually seeing you play. The best generic tip I can think to give you is to get better at deck construction. You might be awesome at it already (how would I know?), but I am just guessing that you are creating sloppy decks that just don't cut the mustard as the game goes on. This is definitely what is happening when I see people playing deckbuilders locally and they are grumbling about how they can't win. My wife, for example, just can not fathom how KOing heroes out of her deck is a GOOD thing. She just sees that as a penalty. Another lady will always buy the best card available at the time, heedless of whether it's actually a good idea for HER deck or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyro Spyro
msg tools
Okay thank you. We always seem to get caught in a gauntlet of not having strong enough heroes to fight the villains but also lacking in the recruit points to get the stronger heroes. We just kind of end up sitting there getting beat up because we neither have stronger heroes or the recruit points to get said stronger heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pan Daemonium
msg tools
You could pick a team of heroes and play with those fixed heroes against the masterminds in ascending difficulty order. That way you will learn how to use them and how to combine them.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyro1562 wrote:
Okay thank you. We always seem to get caught in a gauntlet of not having strong enough heroes to fight the villains but also lacking in the recruit points to get the stronger heroes. We just kind of end up sitting there getting beat up because we neither have stronger heroes or the recruit points to get said stronger heroes.
That definitely sounds like you're just buying whichever card looks best in the HQ at the time with no regard for the bigger picture of how your cards will actually work together. Generally you need to be buying Recruit and then finding the right moment to switch into buying all Attack. And don't buy SHIELD officers. Well, OK, they can have their uses, but that's a quick way to a bad deck if you glut your deck with a bunch of those losers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players do you have? Legendary does not scale well. Although it claims to be for 2 to 5 players its really best with 3 or 4. If you are playing with five it will be very difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Xmen is probably the hardest set to date.

I think part of the balance is that they assumed you bought previous expansions. If you have Sidekicks, for instance, it gets better obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Good
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spyro1562 wrote:
My wife had the same issue when we first started playing a few years ago.
I would suggest getting the sidekicks for the game. I believe it was Secret Wars volume 1. Card draw can really smooth out bad curves in your deck. And always try to purchase heroes or kill villains that allow you to KO cards from your deck early on.
My wifes new theme is "Draw cards, Win game"

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some general tips:
* Buy Recruit points first. Then start recruiting higher-attack heroes.
* Make sure you're buying heroes that synergize - e.g., if you buy heroes that have a Strength superpower, you want Strength cards in your deck.
* If only two of five heroes have Covert superpowers, e.g., you may want to avoid those and recruit heroes with more common superpowers.
* Once you've got some decent heroes, KO as many SHIELD dudes as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arianne H
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
See the Legendary General Forum for Back to Basics League information -- Dark City and Base Set only
badge
Join the Dark City and Base Set only monthly league -- See Legendary general forum for information
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a house rule when we play as a family that we recruit for 2 rounds before drawing cards from the villain deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Legendary games are usually two players with my wife (who also hangs around here), and we play full coop, and that helps winning more than we loose, even with random setups.

The key for me is communication, and adapting your strategy regarding the combination on the other side (Mastermind/Scheme/Villains/Henchmen).

For example it was said here go for recruit first, but sometimes in some schemes i go for atack first, for example Secret Invasion of Skrull Shapeshifters, where you have better changes of getting a rare using atack.

Every game is different and that is one of the reasons why Legenday is by far my most played game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tommy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
ArianneH wrote:
We have a house rule when we play as a family that we recruit for 2 rounds before drawing cards from the villain deck.

This is the only "House Rule" i play with. I do not draw from the VD until i have to shuffle my discard for a new hand. I play solo and two handed solo, so i always get 2 rounds of recruiting before playing the first VD card.

after trying various rules and house rules from these forums- IMO, playing advanced solo, or two handed solo- the game really only needs this one variation to run perfectly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Stephens
Australia
Mt Martha
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I can understand doing this in a family setting but it really takes the threat and fun (for me) out of the game. I play two-player. If the OP plays three or four then it's probably a good idea to have a round or two since the game doesn't scale well. When I've played 3 or 4 we usually take a random Hero from the Hero Deck and shuffle it into our starting cards (unseen)and then deal our cards.

To help the OP I've provided a thread below to some good combos he can try out.(Note one player should should try to recruit all the cards of a listed pair and the other player recruit just his pair). When my son and I play (5 heroes) we always designate one as a shared Hero). Good share heroes are Captain America and Rogue (there are others).

I held a poll on best pairs of Heroes Which dynamic duo is best?. A lot of pairs used in the poll are available to you and it also started a lively discussion about other pairs that work well together. Have a look and see if any of those work for you.

As someone else suggested having sidekicks would help. Sidekicks cost 2 and allow you to draw 2 cards and then are returned to the sidekick deck. Rather than having to buy Secret Wars Vol 1 to try them out, just designate an unused henchmen group to be your sidekicks for the game. The rules for sidekicks are available on the Secret War Vol 1 rulesheet which you can get online.

Here's what the sidekick card looks like:

Oh finally, don't take on Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix or Onslaught if you wish to win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than Apocalypse, I don’t find anything from Dark City to be particularly challenging, honestly.

X-Men has probably the highest difficulty level of any expansion though. I recommend avoiding playing against Onslaught and Dark Phoenix unless you pick specific heroes which synergize well with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game to be hard. I like that given the right combination of scheme and mastermind the game can seriously sit up and bitch slap you. We've twice run into random combinations that we think are unwinable but that simply makes the wins so much sweeter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Later expansions have really enhanced the difficulty of the game. Dark City actually made the game easier, according to the people who kept their records from just Base Set to Base Set + Dark City. But as of Secret Wars, each big expansion has usually had one Mastermind who is an absolute beast, and the X-Men set in particular raised the difficulty, though it was kind enough to have easier Masterminds as well as towering threats, in terms of both Masterminds and Schemes. And the recent smaller sets have had really buff Masterminds, too. Evil Deadpool is tremendous, and Fin Fang Foom can stomp you in many games.

The best advice I can offer is the following:

1) If you're not math inclined, reading some tips on deck-building will probably help you. Knowing what's in your deck and what HQ cards go with them will definitely enhance your decks.

2) When up against tougher Schemes or Masterminds, be sure that the Heroes are ones that will at least give you a shot. For example, if the Scheme is one where you lose when too many bad guys escape, make sure the game includes at least one bad guy masher. If it's one where you lose if you get too many wounds, let there ways to dodge those wounds (if you're against Mephisto, there should be at least one Marvel Knight. If it's the Legacy Virus Scheme, there should be a Hero or two with Tech cards). If it's one of the many Super-sized Henchmen Schemes (Super-Sentinels, Killbots), a Hero with Piercing Damage will help you in a big way.

3) If your game doesn't have a Henchman that kills your Starting Heroes, make sure the Heroes include at least one that can do that for you.

PS: I modify numerous Schemes and Masterminds if I consider them too easy or too rough. My thread on it is called something like Adjusting Difficulties. I can't post a link for you because my parent's computer is really screwed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelley Hebert
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mb
Tsallak wrote:
2) When up against tougher Schemes or Masterminds, be sure that the Heroes are ones that will at least give you a shot. For example, if the Scheme is one where you lose when too many bad guys escape, make sure the game includes at least one bad guy masher. If it's one where you lose if you get too many wounds, let there ways to dodge those wounds (if you're against Mephisto, there should be at least one Marvel Knight. If it's the Legacy Virus Scheme, there should be a Hero or two with Tech cards). If it's one of the many Super-sized Henchmen Schemes (Super-Sentinels, Killbots), a Hero with Piercing Damage will help you in a big way.
This. Wound-based games (or woundy loss conditions) require someone who can KO wounds. Even taking one MK guy to fight Mephisto or Kingpin is a must. If they're all MK you've essentially negated the Master Strike but one will give you a chance of the MS hurting or missing you.

Tailoring the hero deck to the scheme/mastermind is, to an extent, taking some of the challenge out of it. But you're there to have fun. There are lots of random setups that rely ultimately on luck to win, no amount of strategy or deck-building prowess will save you, and that's just as little fun as a tailor-made setup that lets you win in 5 turns. If my randomizer spits out a game that, based on my experience, I'm sunk from the start, I'll swap out a hero for someone who can ameliorate the master strike or give me some KO just so there's some fun to it.

SH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Stephens
Australia
Mt Martha
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The link to Erik's Records and Adjusting Difficulty thread can be found here.

This is a bit off topic (but it's an old thread so I thought I'd add this comment here).

On the thread Erik asked:
Quote:
If you have a fix, please let me know. For that matter, I noticed no one has their own version of a Mastermind Apocalypse in the Custom Card Database. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to see them.
As a mathematician I was appalled by Apocalypse's Immortal and Undefeated Tactic. (Clearly the designer's don't understand probability and statistics). It is actually quite difficult to calculate the expected number of Tactics required to defeat Apocalypse but 7 to 8 would be a good estimate. (The lowest possible is clearly 4, if you are lucky, and highest possible is technically infinity.)

I changed the Tactic to read "If this is not the Final Tactic rescue 6 bystanders and place this Tactic on the bottom of the Tactics Deck".

It made Apocalypse much more fun to play, but his odious master strike still means he's a beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Brian. I thought of that in the months since I posted that, but thought the thread didn't need to come back, as it didn't produce much interest when it was new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls