14 Posts

Flamme Rouge» Forums » General

Subject: 2 player any good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Rudolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if this game is worth a purchase if going to play it mostly 2 player. After reading reviews it seems like it would be a fun game, but not quite sure how it holds up as a 2 player only game. Any inputs are appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason J
msg tools
Shut Up and Sit Down did a live stream on Twitch with 2 players and they seemed to have a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Played it with my girlfriend including expansion and had fun, both with two teams each and just one team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I find only 4 riders (2 per player and no bots) is a very pale version of what the game can be. But if you add at least 2 bots to fill up the track, preferably 4 (or more), then I think it's amazing, and almost as good 2p+bots as with 3p or 4p. Thus, I would suggest getting the Peloton expansion (and/or using the various fan-made bots).

Because of the easy-to-run bots I think it's probably the best sports racing game available for 2 players. (Rallyman is very good though too, for a more multiplayer-solitaire 2-player racing game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The peloton expansion adds the bots as they have a special deck of cards, and I confirm it is very good with two players and two bot teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Hobbs
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with previous posters. In 2P operating one bot each takes minimum time and effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hidde Warendorff
Netherlands
Culemborg
flag msg tools
mb
I kind of agree? Kind of...

I think you can safely say that it becomes a different game when you add bots. Really with a bot-game what you want to do is manage your bots and put them to maximum use. Guess where they end up, and look to use that slipstream to its full potential. Fail to do so and you'll end up with a ton of exhaustion, and you will almost certainly lose the game.

HOWEVER
In my opinion a 2 player game is best played with just the 2 players, 2 rideres each and no bots. The game suddenly becomes a lot more tense, because AT LEAST 1 of your riders will take that exhaustion, but will it be you? In this case it becomes a lot of bluffing and double bluffiing which is awesome. Also the chance you get an early breakaway going increases a lot, because then your opponent will take exhaustion too! Much more tactical.

Both options are great. But I definitely suggest you try both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Calne
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's great with 2p, honestly. I'm keeping it in the collection because it's fantastic with 3 or 4 but I would always choose to play something else with 2. Not enough interaction which makes it less fun. I can see the merits of playing with two teams but I still don't think that would do enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Jones
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find that it plays well 2 player unless you use at least one bot (if not two).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPerfect1 wrote:
Shut Up and Sit Down did a live stream on Twitch with 2 players and they seemed to have a lot of fun.
Actually, they had three players for this (Quinns, Matt, and Paul).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Gregory
United States
Franklin
Vermont
flag msg tools
Some of my favorite games, Carcassone and Agricola have come up with some brilliant two player versions. I think the door is open for a cool two player version of this one, perhaps 3-4 man teams would do it? I'm sure the creator is playing with this all the time.

Until then, the bots really help, but I like it better at 3+. My wife and I play more than the family and I so a good two player game is gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the designer said that both adding one or two bots or each player handling two teams work very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon frias
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I use to play with my wife and 2 bots (1 peloton + 1 muscle team), and we have a great time.
It is really good, honestly.

PS: Adding the weather expansion ("Meteo") makes the game experience amazing. Think about getting it also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Tau
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
2 player is very good. Get the expansion and use bots. We’ve recently gone from 2 bot teams to 4 and it’s so simple and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls