6 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 6 Most Balanced Factions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Cricco
Australia
flag msg tools
Last Weekend we played a game, Yasaril, Nerko, L1Z1X, Sol, Arborec, Yin. Yasaril was rather irritatingly taking Politics at every possible opportunity thus gifting Nekro with the pick of the Strategy cards for the entire game. Nekro, assisted by Spec Ops 2 and Super Dreads along with every conceivable tech in the game, ran away with it, capping 10 points at the end or round 6. L1Z1X were just behind them on 9 having failed to cap "destroy their greatest ship" due to some fairly bad rolls in already likely futile battles. Arborec and Yin never really made it off the ground.

It prompted our group to think, what are the best 6 factions to play from a balance/fairness perspective? Our short list was the following 8 factions. Keen to hear the communities take on this.

* Barony
* L1Z1X
* Ghosts
* Naalu
* Xxcha
* Yin
* Sol
* Saar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to the history of the game and the recommendation in the rulebook, I would say: Hacan, Xxcha, Sol, Jol-Nar, Letnev and Sardakk N'Orr.

All of them have their strengths but don't really change the rules that much. They all have fairly obvious play styles so allow opposing players clues on how to counter them if they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cricco
Australia
flag msg tools
I get what you are saying but I wouldn't include Jol-Nar, they seem to run away with some games given all the tech objectives.

I also find that Haccan can unreasonably interferes in the game making very pronounced winners and losers.

Also Saddak just plain suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from your list Sol and Xxcha aren't even close in power. I'd take the middle 6 races from here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c2fGqedk13kS8PR2XF1O...

My List:

Ghosts of Creuss
L1Z1X Mindnet
Yin Brotherhood
Barony of Letnev
Mentak Coalition
Nekro Virus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ImOffended wrote:
Last Weekend we played a game, Yasaril, Nerko, L1Z1X, Sol, Arborec, Yin. Yasaril was rather irritatingly taking Politics at every possible opportunity thus gifting Nekro with the pick of the Strategy cards for the entire game. Nekro, assisted by Spec Ops 2 and Super Dreads along with every conceivable tech in the game, ran away with it, capping 10 points at the end or round 6. L1Z1X were just behind them on 9 having failed to cap "destroy their greatest ship" due to some fairly bad rolls in already likely futile battles. Arborec and Yin never really made it off the ground.

It prompted our group to think, what are the best 6 factions to play from a balance/fairness perspective? Our short list was the following 8 factions. Keen to hear the communities take on this.

* Barony
* L1Z1X
* Ghosts
* Naalu
* Xxcha
* Yin
* Sol
* Saar
It sounds more like you guys didn't play very well (with the exception of the L1Z1X getting to 9).

I think this game rewards experience and comprehensive knowledge of the other factions you are playing against. In every game I've played (which is only 4), it seems like the people who have more experience and that understand what the other players are capable of do better. I was playing as Federation of Sol and an Xxcha player saw that my strategy of Orbital Dropping infantry onto Mecatol was going to require massive amounts of resources to oust me, so he maneuvered a ship with bombardment and researched the X-89 Bacterial Weapon--a tech that in most cases people do not see the point of and I've seen a lot of hate about online, but it was enough for me to move my 6+ infantry off Mecatol so I wouldn't be throwing them away on his turn.

He was in the running for first place, and I think that's because he understood who he was playing against and what they were capable of doing. No one else on the board could otherwise threaten me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinan Diraneyya
msg tools
mb
The sacred log is always the answer:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls