1 , 2  Next »   | 

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: To anyone considering to challenge me with "BO19" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Pan
China
flag msg tools
I posted that "I might be the world's No.1" saying is just because I thought I am the best among the players I know, then I just want to find somebody I don't now may have chance to be better then me. I chose the "BO19" combat because it's enough to judge who's better. So, if you just want to know my level, I can tell you, I have played over 10000 games,and mainly in 2P games(including old version). and I think i can win over 65% of games against most of the people I met.
So, as "BO19" combat is a serious duel between 2 players, it's just like a "win-or-die bet", I hope anyone who decides to challenge me should at least be the best among the players you know.
I will show my respect to all the people challenging me. so please do the same thing to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pan
China
flag msg tools
and if you think you're good enough, and want to play with me as practice, you can just tell me, and I will also play with you, to judge you are really good or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary,

a couple of points I have noticed.

1. That's at least your fifth thread on the subject. Maybe stick to one?
2. 99% of people don't care about whether you are good or not.
3. Possibly it's because English isn't your native language, but your style of posting comes over as incredibly arrogant. Make of that what you will.
4. 99% of people still don't care, so please don't open any more threads, to brag how great you are at TTA.
5. As a matter of fact, I know you are actually very good, so no need to brag about it in response to this post.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am subscribed to this game to help answer rule queries or otherwise, and every post recently just seems to be from you posting how great you are. Please can you stop bragging. You are good, we get that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you guys are banned from the pro tour now. I hope you’re proud of yourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phobophille
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
Hi Gary,

a couple of points I have noticed.

1. That's at least your fifth thread on the subject. Maybe stick to one?
2. 99% of people don't care about whether you are good or not.
3. Possibly it's because English isn't your native language, but your style of posting comes over as incredibly arrogant. Make of that what you will.
4. 99% of people still don't care, so please don't open any more threads, to brag how great you are at TTA.
5. As a matter of fact, I know you are actually very good, so no need to brag about it in response to this post.

Thank you.
100% agree on this. Doesn't matter if you are the best player in the world or not (I have no reason to doubt it, but neither I have any reason to believe it), endlessly bragging about it is just... annoying.

Can you ever imagine Magnus Carlsen coming to the BGG forums and opening new threads in the Chess forums going "hey, anyone wants to challenge me? I dare you! I'll kick your ass! I'm the best player in the world, you n00bs!". I'm sorry, but no.

Good luck with your pro rank and your challenges, and goodbye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Can you ever imagine Magnus Carlsen coming to the BGG forums and opening new threads in the Chess forums going "hey, anyone wants to challenge me? I dare you! I'll kick your ass! I'm the best player in the world, you n00bs!". I'm sorry, but no.
That's not what the OP is saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phobophille
msg tools
mbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Quote:
After half a dozen new posts about how good he is, it's what comes through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Phobophille wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
Quote:
Then you haven't understood them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phobophille
msg tools
mbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Phobophille wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
Quote:
Then you haven't understood them.
Must be that, yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have seen that reaction for other games here on BGG. Users don't like to be confronted to the competitive dimension and possibility of their casual games.

There are a few games that have a competitive scene out there that is at best ignored on BGG or as we see it in this very case asked to leave the premises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
I have seen that reaction for other games here on BGG. Users don't like to be confronted to the competitive dimension and possibility of their casual games.

There are a few games that have a competitive scene out there that is at best ignored on BGG or as we see it in this very case asked to leave the premises.
No, I think most do not have a problem with the competitive dimension of games. It is the repetition that is annoying people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phobophille wrote:
FYI, that's a red line you just crossed. I'd delete that pic before you catch a suspension for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phobophille
msg tools
mbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Phobophille wrote:
FYI, that's a red line you just crossed. I'd delete that pic before you catch a suspension for that.
Uh, my bad and my mistake. I missed that forum rule >_<

I'm truly sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
grant5 wrote:
tilouboy wrote:

No, I think most do not have a problem with the competitive dimension of games. It is the repetition that is annoying people.
There were antagonistic reactions to every thread the OP started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:

To say it with your words: Then you haven't understood me.
I haven't asked Gary Pan to leave the premises (why would I?), I've asked him to confine his bragging to the threads he already openend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
tilouboy wrote:

To say it with your words: Then you haven't understood me.
I haven't asked Gary Pan to leave the premises (why would I?), I've asked him to confine his bragging to the threads he already openend.
Asking him to not spam the forum is a good.
Speaking about bragging and scamming (previous thread, other user, you thumbed that post) is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to call a bragart a bragart. Whether what he is bragging about is justified or not doesn't matter.

I certainly would not call him a scammer, as I have absolutely no reason to believe he scammed someone or intends to.
I do not believe that all the post said was something about scamming.
And well - I can thumb whatever I want to. I'm sure you thumbed stuff I wouldn't agree with, so what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to call a bragart a bragart. Whether what he is bragging about is justified or not doesn't matter.

I certainly would not call him a scammer, as I have absolutely no reason to believe he scammed someone or intends to.
I do not believe that all the post said was something about scamming.
And well - I can thumb whatever I want to. I'm sure you thumbed stuff I wouldn't agree with, so what?
This is the OP's 4th thread (the third second got erased). The first was a challenge to the world. The second was about dispensing advices to other players. The third was about establishing a ranking system. You and others were already fed up by him ath his second thread. That's what I'm reacting against.

Edit: I mixed second and third.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He made some threads a year ago or so (or posted with someone elses account, don't remember).
And, like I said in my first post here, it's also about how he is writing his posts.

I'll give you an example:

"Hi guys, my name is Gary Pan. I'm a very dedicated player of TTA (and firmly believe a very good one at that), and I'm trying to start a competitive league in China.
So anyone interested, feel free to contact me! You can find more infos here: insertlink here. I also would be happy to see any feedback and thoughts from fellow players!".

I'm sure if he had phrased his texts with a modicum of modesty, the reception would have been very different. In Germany, there is a saying: "Wie es in den Wald hineinschallt, so schallt es heraus". Roughly translated: If you speak to someone in a certain way, the response will be in the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I once played Gary Pan in TTA and he beat me by 121 points! This guy is a legend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's someone who's challenging us. That's all.

That's a welcome change to rules questions, to "Look how I pimped my game" or "I played my umptienth different game"...

Es schallt hier ganz anders heraus. The reactions are not at all like OP's tone.

Edit: At least have some humour like Grant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, can't do much about humour. But I'll grant you, I sometimes like to be a grumpy guy.

I don't see how "who is best player in the world, me or xy?!" is a challenge. His first thread was a challenge (a friend of mine, who beats me in about 85% of our games, actually took him up on it. I think they played like 20 or 30 games and Gary won most. So, I do know he actually is very good), which was worded a bit poorly, but well.

But - "who is the best, me or him!!!" (yes, im paraphrasing), is nothing but bragging. How should people know? Play 100 games against xy, see who wins more. Then you'll know. Posting in a forum, where most people have neither played against you, nor your opponent, to ask who is better, has no practical purpose at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok, maybe I'm grumpy about some reactions and should distance myself. I'll leave it at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drace Zhan
msg tools
I'm also puzzled and somewhat amused by Gary's posts. That being said, one good thing about them is that it had made me curious about looking up his games. What I also found interesting is how many players who participate in the strategic discussions speak very highly of Gary's ability. I even ended up subscribing to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzhfq0B3VyI&list=PLfXKHnsk0O... and found the games to have definitely changed some thoughts about how I thought TTA was "meant to be played". Not sure if it's a communication/language barrier with Gary's antics but I would at the very least grant that there's good content if you actually follow through. I do think derision in his threads are unfortunate because he actually does have a lot of offer to the Tta community.

Also if I may suggest to Gary to post in "Strategy" instead of the "General" section as I would imagine those who are interested in up-ing their game would be more likely to browse there. I'm always interested in playing the game well but I wouldn't even have clicked on any of Gary's threads until that "Who is better ..." post got to like 4-5 pages when I got curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |