10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Hex board game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
Now, this is a really wierd question... When I was a kid, I played a game that was a hex based adventure/pick-up-and-deliver style game of some sort. I dont really remember much about it, it had encounter tables for different types of terrain (plains, forest, swamps, mountains, some sort of darklands?) and some movement rules stating that you moved faster on a road then on a path then in the wild. You could upgrade your character with items. Felt like a war game/rgp mash of some sort.

So I told my son and second oldest daughter about this game and they got all fired up! They want this game or something similar. I tried finding it but google-fu is too weak. I tried finding something similar and while both Firefly: The Game, Fallout and especially Runebound (Third Edition) are close to very close they did not click right off for them. Especially the scenarios in Runebound didnt click for them, they want to roam free, whatever that means.

Are there any others games that does this? Pre-req is hexes (I have really "inspired" them during their upbringing here, sorry to say... ), free movement and if possible a non-modular map as my son feels that they dont fit together as good as a pre-built map. Last one is not as hard as the other requirements.

Finding the game that I played back in the mid eighties would be a dream, but I think it will be hard. Are there any other good such games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Riley
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you out with an answer I'm afraid, but it might be worth cross-posting on Board Game Stack Exchange. The hobby stack exchanges are usually pretty good at ID questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it myself (would love to though) but Mage Knight Board Game sounds a lot like what you are asking for. Might be worth a look with the new edition that's been released semi recently.

Is there a chance that you are talking about Barbarian Prince or maybe Magic Realm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Grady
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Barbarian Prince maybe? I couldn't get on with it, but there's definitely a map, lots of terrain, hexes, RPG elements and so on.

There was another one more recently that looked more fun.

Barbarian Vince but that was card based and not hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Mage Master?

Where did you live and what years are you thinking of? You may have been a kid in 1977 or 1990, which give different possibilities. US or Europe? Or elsewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
jhNz wrote:
I haven't played it myself (would love to though) but Mage Knight Board Game sounds a lot like what you are asking for. Might be worth a look with the new edition that's been released semi recently.

Is there a chance that you are talking about Barbarian Prince or maybe Magic Realm?
I own Mage knight and whlie an awesome game it is way too complex with all its interacting mechanics and it also has a modular board.

My heart actually jumped when I saw Barbarian prince. It so close, but that is not the game I was playing as a kid. Mine had like a large connected forest, not just a forest hex for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hill
msg tools
mb
mi_de wrote:
Mage Master?

Where did you live and what years are you thinking of? You may have been a kid in 1977 or 1990, which give different possibilities. US or Europe? Or elsewhere?
I lived in Europe and my buddys dad was a wargamer so I would not be suprised if it was one of those magazine or folder games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
baldyr wrote:
Now, this is a really wierd question... When I was a kid, I played a game that was a hex based adventure/pick-up-and-deliver style game of some sort. I dont really remember much about it, it had encounter tables for different types of terrain (plains, forest, swamps, mountains, some sort of darklands?) and some movement rules stating that you moved faster on a road then on a path then in the wild. You could upgrade your character with items. Felt like a war game/rgp mash of some sort.

So I told my son and second oldest daughter about this game and they got all fired up! They want this game or something similar. I tried finding it but google-fu is too weak. I tried finding something similar and while both Firefly: The Game, Fallout and especially Runebound (Third Edition) are close to very close they did not click right off for them. Especially the scenarios in Runebound didnt click for them, they want to roam free, whatever that means.

Are there any others games that does this? Pre-req is hexes (I have really "inspired" them during their upbringing here, sorry to say... ), free movement and if possible a non-modular map as my son feels that they dont fit together as good as a pre-built map. Last one is not as hard as the other requirements.

Finding the game that I played back in the mid eighties would be a dream, but I think it will be hard. Are there any other good such games?
Runebound (Second Edition) actually sounds very similar to the kind of game you are describing. And it has the ability to "roam free"... It's a very different game than Runebound (Third Edition). IMHO they should have just given 3rd edition a completely new name to avoid confusion,it's that different a game than 2nd ed.
So if you could get your hands on the 2nd edition your kids might enjoy that more... The Cities of Adventure variant in the file section for 2nd edition is an awesome addition to it that adds some fun theme.

And wow does it look beautiful when you bling it up with glass beads for the adventure counters:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
And just to add, secondary market prices for 2nd edition are no longer as astronomical as they used to be... I see some used copies on BGG market for the $30-$40 range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Williams
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HEXplore It: The Valley of the Dead King is a cooperative sandbox game you might want to look into, with HEXplore It: The Forests of Adrimon coming out later this year. I've seen a lot of comparisons to Runebound as its closest cousin. You can definitely roam freely in the HEXplore It games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls