Hide
6 Posts

D-Day at Tarawa» Forums » Rules

Subject: Japanese zero strength units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
phil m
msg tools
Rule 8.3-1 If the Jananese unit strength is "0" the unit is defeated.
So if I attack the coastal unit B/2/4FC, with a strength of "0", it shows a BR weapons requirement to attack this unit.
Does that mean 1 US unit needs a BR to attack a unit that is automaticaly defeated or is the BR required only if the unit is with a depth marker?
Also I presume that if the depth marker is a "Tac. reinforcement" both are removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If the hex does not have a depth marker and the Japanese unit strength is “0”, the unit is defeated.
So if there is a depth marker you still consider its strength and requirements. And yes, if there's a tac reinforcement, you basically re-evaluate again after placing the tactical reinforcement on the "Unit alone" column of the combat chart.

I'm not sure if any of the 0 strength units have requirements. If the 0 strength unit does shows a BR requirement, I assume that it is only defeated if you match the weapons and is otherwise disrupted automatically.

@Brastias is likely correct here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pratuch
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just getting into this fascinating game myself. But as I understand the situation, automatic defeat requires you to have the correct weapon. So I agree with John.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just follow the steps in 8.3 and you'll see how it works.

If the zero-strength unit does not have a depth marker it is immediately removed. Weapon requirements are irrelevant.

If the unit has a depth marker, reveal the unit, then compare attack strength to defence strength, then check for weapon requirements, then check the US attack table, then apply the result.

So a zero strength unit with a Tactical Reinforcement depth marker is not automatically removed. Instead you the check weapon requirements and if you have the required weapons, only then is the unit eliminated.

In the same situation, if you don't have the required weapons, the zero-strength unit is disrupted and the depth marker remains unrevealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
phil m
msg tools
I still don't understand why a zero strength unit, which is automaticaly defeated, has a weapons requirement. What is the requirement used for?!?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's not automatically defeated if it has a depth marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls