Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I like YouTube channel [....] because... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stu Hall
msg tools
I have only recently started to enjoy the world of board gaming. It is fair to say it has taken hold to near addictive levels with my wife and I playing 4+ times a week. I am already spending too much money on games and accessories.

I have always been a big video gamer and geek and therefore quickly turn to Youtube like most people do to find content that helps me navigate the maze of games on offer.

I have very quickly built up a list of regular stops on Youtube. In my opinion SU&SD do amazing reviews and I have purchased a few games based on them already, most recently Concordia.

I am looking for more content of their caliber and would love some recommendations although I doubt there is a popular show that the youtube algorithm hasn't put in my feed.

One of the things SU&SD are good at is pretty much anytime they are talking about the game they are showing the game. When this is not the case it is normally for a comedic break in proceedings.

My only issue is that SU&SD don't create content fast enough lol!

There are other good channels that I frequent e.g. Man V Meeple, Tantrum House, The 3 minute one etc

There does seem to be a load of channels were folks just talk about the games. I feel the concept of show don't tell hasn't resonated with those creators and personally I really like seeing the game more, the components, cards, bits and pieces etc.

I just thought it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on their preferred YouTube creators and why they like them, hence starting a discussion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saiyon wrote:

My only issue is that SU&SD don't create content fast enough lol!

They release a ton of content on their website, and have a podcast too. Their YouTube videos are not their main source of content, it's only the tip of the iceberg. They have videos that they don't even post on YouTube, it's only on their website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim kelly
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How to play tutorials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis McCown
United States
Uniontown
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Dice Tower because I like Zee. We have the same taste in Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Tatu
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think SU&SD make good and thorough reviews but I really can't suffer these guys, unfortunately.

I like the Unfiltered Gamer. His reviews are not always super informative, but it covers many small games from unknown companies and doesn't seem to be completely sold to the big companies as Man vs Meeple are. However, he will often say positive aspects of the game, so it's up to you to decide whether these aspects are interesting to you or not. I would prefer more negativity, which is the big advantage of SU&SD I think.

A Youtube Channel "What's to dislike with this board game?" would be very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite thing to watch on youtube is full game play-throughs so to that end I enjoy:

Jon Gets Games
Slickerdrips
Paul Darcy
Rolling Solo
Grey Board Gamer
One Stop Co-op Shop
Catweazle
Ant Lab Games
Board Game Solo
Boardgamegeek’s Game Night
Boardgames with Niramas
Rahdo
Ricky Royal
Solomode Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they would bring back Starlit Citadel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Gallagher
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've recently gotten addicted to watching videos about all different board games. Of course there are the popular ones with Dice Tower and the How to Play videos by Rodney, which are amazing, but I realized I also really enjoy play-thru's.

A recent discovery I have enjoyed thoroughly is Tim Norris with GreyElephant Gaming. The play-thru's with his wife are so entertaining! I recently found a play-thru of Dice Forge they did and they totally sold me on the game. I subscribed right after watching. They just have so much fun it makes you want to buy every game they play! (uh-oh, that's dangerous). They do first person camera shots so it can be a little dizzying if your prone to that, but I really like it because it gives you the sense of what you would be seeing and deciding as a player.

Another recent one is Ant Lab Games. They have a lot of new games and the quality of the videos is fantastic. Super clear on the rules and play-thru's and also very enjoyable to watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maj n. jeb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My preferred channel is Booze and Boards with Mickey and Jeb (shameless plug) because I spend my time and energy working on it.

Actually, before we started the channel, I watched Watch It Played for board game videos. After we put up some videos, I actually stopped watching board games videos all together (mostly due to my time being eaten up with recording and editing).

Our thought process was to make episodes for games that include showing components, set, explanation of gameplay, playing the game (not just clips), and our review. A little bit of something for everyone. Recently we started dabbling in series, so we've been putting up our playthrough of Gloomhaven, Aeon's End Legacy, and Dice Throne.

We try to get content up as fast as we can, but we both have day jobs and live an hour away from each other. We do prioritize requests!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arthurcucumber wrote:
I wish they would bring back Starlit Citadel
Not happening since the store closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Tremblay Lessard
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zerbique wrote:

A Youtube Channel "What's to dislike with this board game?" would be very cool.
Mark Bigney of "So very wrong about games" had a channel called "All the games you like are bad" which had him tongue-in-cheek enumerating what was bad in the games which didn't take off as much as I'd've liked because I like his style a lot. He seems very aware of his own biases and seems to try to reflect on his conclusions a lot.

On the topic :

I like "So very wrong about games" because the hosts have the same way of approaching things as I do, which is without ever beating around the bush. Always saying thigs as they are or as they perceive them, however bluntly it might seem at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Heavy Cardboard because they play great heavy games, teach really well, and I find their group pretty entertaining as people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I like Geek Gamers and Scott Plays because they calmly deliver the information without the frantic/frenzied delivery that some folks have.

Great info without the over-the-top theatrics is refreshing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Hall
msg tools
Lot's of great content suggestions have started checking out some already.

p.s. Booze and Boards I subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
For a non exhaustive list of pretty popular content creators, you could have a look at this video:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like SU&SD because they’re funny, I like Zee Garcia from the Dice Tower because we like the same sort of games, and I like the Rahdo run through videos because we only buy games that work well with two players.

If I can’t find any of these guys reviewing the game I’m looking at, I look for Tom Vasel/Dice Tower because they have reviewed pretty much every game ever made lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my favorite youtube reviewer is drive thru reviews. it isn't scripted and manic the way SU&SD is, but it is great informative reviews, and he and i seem to have similar tastes in games.

Besides that, Rahdo is pretty good, cause he does a quick runthrough, and reviews the game. while he has very different tastes to me, he is able to articulate what the features are, even if he doesnt like them, or point out the shortfalls, even if its something he dosent really care about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When talking content of caliber, I always go to Marcowargamer (
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
here on BGG) as he covers such a diverse range of content in a reasonable time frame - and although he uses (or used) Kickstarter he's never made it too prominent a feature in his videos. I like how the videos feel like one passionate gamer in his home communicating sharing videos with others, often covering a concise but in depth rules overview with a review. Also, though I don't have kids, I appreciate that he covers a wide variety of games from heavy wargames to light games he plays with his kids (great advice when looking for games to play with my niece or nephews).

Speaking of that "gamer who just wants to share" aesthetic, that brings me to channels like Calandale, Callasmar ("The Lonesome Gamer"), Paul Darcy, and Jeff. Yup, just Jeff - I discovered his channel by looking for SpaceCorp videos (just type in Jeff and SpaceCorp and you'll find his channel easy - searching by his name won't bring up his channel due to the sheer number of Jeff channels out there). These people seem to be into making videos to share their love for the hobby, and they mainly make lets-play videos. Some of them are in it for the money, some of it do it just because they want to (Calandale - grizzled and opinionated, often banned here on BGG for his gruffness that is no longer welcome, and on YouTube always providing ad-free no-sponsorship no-crowdfunding videos... but I think he is finally burning out on filming his games, so who knows how long he'll be around).

I don't like the spit-and-polish TV-like channels as much... the SU&SD, Dice Tower, Watch it Played, and so on that are in it for making a career and money off of their videos. I mean, they're good channels and I watch them - they have good content; but I just don't want that style of content. I want Jeff's "okay, lets sit down and learn these games together like you came to my house with this new game... oops, I really messed up so I'm reshooting this as it is too grevious a mistake, but we can still pretend it's our first time playing" style. I want Calandale's thoughts and unfiltered frustrations with a game as he works through it. I want to see what the game will play like at my table.

Yes, I still use the polished channels (Dice Tower is great if you want a very abbreviated summary and review, SU&SD or No Pun Included are great if you want a polished review with comedy, and so on... but they are not my first choice).

In other words, what I watch I doubt will be of use to anyone. I look for small channels, and they are often fleeting, or unpolished channels. I'm looking for channels that aren't trying to make a buck or become the de facto video tutorial channel for boardgames (though I will say Watch It Played videos are excellent, I liked it back in the days where he was in an unfinished basement on his personal channel teaching us Mansions of Madness 1e... not a studio system with preferential treatment on BGG... again, he deserves his success, he makes some of the best videos... I just have an adverse reaction to "slick" a product - its a personal hangup... and, yes, he deserves prominence and to earn a buck for the valuable service he is providing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby T
United States
flag msg tools
"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world." - John Muir
badge
“And now," cried Felix, "let the wild rumpus start!”
mbmbmbmbmb
Two I haven't seen mentioned:

Beyond Solitaire with Liz Davidson

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUbSYmhAlOW1RorV_jXmo2w

and

Jambalaya Plays Games with Jeremy Howard

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH0zVyfzKY_6yZz1pc0w2sg

Both cover solo modes and games and Liz is particularly thorough in her reviews and playthroughs. Jeremy covers more than just solo games though and just has great positivity that comes through every video. Really a pleasure to watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Baker
msg tools
I like big games and I cannot lie
mbmbmbmbmb
No Pun Included & Shut up and Sit Down: Enjoyable to watch while still invormative enough to let me know if the game is something I might like.

Rahdo: After a Rahdo movie I know if I want to buy the game or not.

Watch It Played: When I have the game, this helps me with the harder games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Morgan
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah if you like Shut Up And Sit Down you'd probably enjoy the similar but different No Pun Included.

With me a lot of it depends on whether I agree with the reviewers. Man vs Meeple have good production values for instance, but I don't agree with a lot of their tastes, typically a bit light for me. I do like their Chit Chat series though. Dice Tower have the whole, 3 different people at once with different tastes thing going for them so between the three you should find something you'd like.

Shut Up And Sit Down and No Pun Included cover a lot of my tastes while still offering different content and opinions. And while I again don't have total cross over with either of them they've introduced me to a lot of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Wil Wheaton's Tabletop simply because it ignited my love of gaming

Before I watched Tabletop I had no interest in games, the deepest part of the board game pool I went was Munchkin.

Thanks to Tabletop I am always looking for new and exciting games to play, I just wish my employers would pay that little bit extra so I could feed my habit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fish
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Gets Games play-throughs are top notch when trying to learn a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls