Popular Tags: canada [+] ontario [+] ottawa [+] [View All]
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo

Great turn out, the count was 21 people.
(Not our record, but a great showing nonetheless)

Not so great service -- 50+ minutes for chicken fingers??
Seth, if you're reading this can you drop me a note to tell me if they did anything for you to make up for last time?

First up to our guests from Halifax, thank you again -- a great showing and great sports (I certainly wouldn't pick AofE III as a starter game, but you did).

Martin, long time no see. As usual you come with a custom, home made "Martinized" version of a classic. I think it was modified Zendo but I'll need confirmation.

Kuub was happy to be back.

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

We had a couple newbees. Tony was at our table while Heather, Kuub and I think Bill played Carcassonne with another Martin.
Apparently we come in sets (3 Marks, 3 Sean/Shawn/Shwaenny's 3 Bills, 2 Martin's etc.)
It was great to meet you. And I hope we will see you at the next one.

Bruce is in charge of Logical Positivism and Bruce here is in charge of the sheep dip.

The games go a little like this; please add in the ones I miss:
Carcassonne
Tichu
Lego/Zendo?
A of E III -- John wins on $, $, $ strategy
Settlers -- John beats the Kuub on a weasel draw of a 1VP card (10-9)
Memoir 44 -- 4 player variant
Wings of War?

A quick note on TANNHAUSER, I haven't quite mastered the mechanics (well actually it's all the little prize chits that I'm working through) but I just want to say for anyone who has ever had a ruler in one hand and a tank in the other while having an arguement about if you can "see" an opponent this game has the NEATEST line of sight rules EVER. I hope to have it mastered well enough so we can have a deathmatch next time.

Enjoy the start of the NHL season.
Please check back to this site for a "special" update in about a week.
Next Games Night is Tuesday October 9, 2007.

Take care
goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Derek/Derrick (?) was another newbee, and he joined Bill, Sean, Martin V and I for a game of China, which I won with an Emissary-heavy strategy.

Then Steve arrived and I brought out Lego/Zendo (the Icehouse game Zendo, but played with Lego bricks rather than Icehouse stashes). We played 3 rounds of that, with Martin solving my introductory "A koan has the Buddha-nature if it contains exactly one red brick", Steve solving Martin's intermediate "A koan has the Buddha-nature if it contains at least one facedown blue brick not touching any other bricks", and nobody solving Steve's deceptively-camoflaged "A koan has the Buddha-nature if it contains at least one brick locked to another brick by a single stud".

We closed out the evening with a longish game of Tichu, with our signature "team that falls way behind early makes a miracle comeback and overtakes the lead and seals the win on the final hand of the game" script. Sean and I played the role of the heroes at the expense of Bill and Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:
goo
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Maybe the cat needs to try mint ice cream?

MrZoz wrote:
goo
The games go a little like this; please add in the ones I miss:
Carcassonne
Memoir 44 -- 4 player variant
Wings of War?

Carcassone - I was the other player. I won on the "lucky placed early farmer" strategy that has been beaten me many times before.

Memoir 44 -- This was actually Tides of Iron. Thank you Bob for bringing this to the table as I was looking forward to giving it a try. As commented, a few too many little bits to try to keep in place and long setup time. It does seem to be a fancied up throwback to older rulesets with the defense dice and opportunity fire. The command cards seem to be the new concept addition to what is otherwise a pretty stock tactical WWII game. I haven't played Memoir 44 so I can't compare, but I wonder if the results would be similar but reached a little more quickly with Memoir 44. I did enjoy it though and I'm sure it plays quicker once the rules are known.

MrZoz wrote:
goo

A quick note on TANNHAUSER, I haven't quite mastered the mechanics (well actually it's all the little prize chits that I'm working through) but I just want to say for anyone who has ever had a ruler in one hand and a tank in the other while having an arguement about if you can "see" an opponent this game has the NEATEST line of sight rules EVER. I hope to have it mastered well enough so we can have a deathmatch next time.

Yahoo, another game that I wanted to try and the LOS rules were clever.
I can't wait for that long heralded announcement. You have me on the edge of my seat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Villemaire
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it was great coming back -- but as Mark mentionned, the custom Zendo game wasn't mine but his. I never thought of using lego pieces as substitution for Icehouse pieces, what a great idea!

Unfortunately I won't be able to join you two weeks from now, but I'm hoping to be there in 4 weeks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="mnv_iii"]as Mark mentionned, the custom Zendo game wasn't mine but his. I never thought of using lego pieces as substitution for Icehouse pieces, what a great idea!q]

Sorry, Mark. I missed that.
So we now have three game designers/modifiers in our bunch who have brought out their versions/own designs.

Anyone else??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.