Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday, September 23rd 2007
Eindhoven, The Netherlands

I spent the previous months with painting my 1/300 planes and made my own hexagonal gameboard. Now it's time to use them and play Bag the Hun, which I have ordered in PDF-format. Now I finally see my planes in action, they look splendid. We gathered at the 1st Oorlogsdag, a wargaming event at Eindhoven. Jasmine, Harold, Patrick and I were interested to play.

The first problem that arose is how to create a balanced scenario. BtH doesn't provide us with guidelines, so I suggested to play with 3 Heinkels He-111, 6 Messerschmitts 109, 4 Hurricanes and 4 Spitfires. After some discussion we had a game on a mapboard of about 20 by 15 hexes. This is not too small since the bombers were not moved. The other planes were simply set back.

The Heinkels fly 18 turns in a straight line at the same altitude in order to drop their bombs on London. Each plane will then roll with 5 dice. 3-5 means 1VP and a 6 is worth 2 VPs. However a shotdown bomber means 3 VPs. 2 VPs for a British fighter to represent pilot shortage and 1 VP for each Messerschmitt. Is this a balanced scenario? I don't know. We didn't finish the game after two and a half hours. 1 Hurricane went down and 2 others were forced to disengage. So we regard this as a German victory. This is what happened ...

Jasmine and Harold took the Germans and Patrick and I the British planes. The Heinkels flying in a V-formation in the vanguard. They where covered by 2 squadrons of 3 Messerschmitts, flying left and right behind. 2 British squadrons came closing in from behind. Immediately the German fighters made a 180 degrees turn in order to meet the Brits in a not so friendly way. Soon one Hurricane exploded in the air. A little later they wounded 2 other Hurricane pilots, which losed their conscience. Later they recovered just in time to leave the game. The Messerschmitts hunted on them without success. One Messerschmitt could explode anytime. Jasmine refused to bail out. Meanwhile the 4 Spitfires closed in on the bombers, scoring their first hits. Apart from some sideslips they were all without result. This is where we had to end the game.

First of all I enjoyed my first BtH experience, but I notice that for Air battles a fast game system is essential, since you want to play a lot of turns. I like the order determination with the cards - some co-players don't - but this also drastically increases playtime. all formulas and die roll modifiers on one sheet would be much appreciated. A simple standardized die roll system would also have helped remembering the rules. Besides BtH is - though simple and straightforward - not without wholes in the rules. Some houserules will help.

I would like to give BtH another try, but I have also set my eye on a gamesystem with simultaneous movement. But a good gaming experience it certainly was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was interested to play, but I thougt it was better not to join since you were with four players already. It was a joy looking at your beautiful planes though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. I'll have to see how to get a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is a BTH2 at the printers apparently.
I'm waiting for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.