Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dukelow
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I had a post removed today because of "Disruptive Comments."
I have to say, hats off to the moderators, because my post certainly was disruptive. I actually intended it as a joke and to poke fun at the OP, so totally fair to remove it. In addition, I think it violated this part of the disruptive comments description:

-Raising issues of religion, sex, or politics outside of the designated Religion, Sex, and Politics forum

But, here are the links to the threads that the OP made that I was commenting on:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2151017/really-more-bikini-...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2152101/game-satanic

So I guess I'm having problems seeing where the line is. If my post was only removed because it was a joke that was prodding the OP, okay. But if it included the other parts of the disruptive comments, I look at the OPs post and say: weren't the issues already raised?
Satanic was literally in the forum heading for the one, and I was really only discussing and joking about the presence of scantily clad women in the other forum, which was the discussion of the initial post.

I don't really care about the post that I had removed, but I would like to know specifics of why it was removed so that in the future I can know if I'm getting close to crossing a line. Because looking at this particular part of the rules, I would think that the original OP would be in violation, because they raised these issues? Just to be clear, I'm not trying to accuse the OP of violating these rules, but I would like to know how their postings didn't violate the rules of "Raising issues of religion, sex, or politics?"

Thank you to the moderators though, you do a tough, and unforgiving job. I know that we users are often given a good amount of space to poke fun at each other offer sometimes harsh critiques, so drawing the lines of what is and isn't appropriate is sometimes near impossible. I went too far this time and was properly moderated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone expresses a sincere concern and you make fun of that person or are dismissive, that is disruptive and might be moderated in my experience. Other people seems to have been able to disagree without having their posts deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dukelow
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
rshipley wrote:
If someone expresses a sincere concern and you make fun of that person or are dismissive, that is disruptive and might be moderated in my experience. Other people seems to have been able to disagree without having their posts deleted.
Sure, and I agree with that statement, but it wasn't at all the question of my post. I owned that I had made a post that was inappropriately poking fun at the OP and had rightly been removed.

My curiosity, was if mine had been removed because of raising issues of sex, religion or politics? Furthermore, regardless of if my post had been removed because of that, why is the OP's post not considered in violation of those rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawedu wrote:
rshipley wrote:
Sure, and I agree with that statement, but it wasn't at all the question of my post. I owned that I had made a post that was inappropriately poking fun at the OP and had rightly been removed.

My curiosity, was if mine had been removed because of raising issues of sex, religion or politics? Furthermore, regardless of if my post had been removed because of that, why is the OP's post not considered in violation of those rules?

As an RSP denizen, the original post does not seem fit to be exiled there. It raises a concern about the presentation of a boardgame. Similar concerns have been allowed in the past, though the threads often end up locked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dukelow
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
rshipley wrote:
As an RSP denizen, the original post does not seem fit to be exiled there. It raises a concern about the presentation of a boardgame. Similar concerns have been allowed in the past, though the threads often end up locked.
Sure, I definitely agree that they don't belong in the RSP forums, but don't the initial posts still violate this rule?
Specifically by putting Satanic in the heading, I would argue that they do. Others have made similar posts about this same game, but used terms like dark, or evil. I would say that raising the concern that the game is satanic certainly raises the issue of religion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, you're in good company in the first thread you posted to - I counted over 30 deleted posts, out of 80 total.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't consider the bikini thread to be RSP. It's game-related, and the OP seemed to be raising a real concern about the game's content. RSP is mainly for discussions that have nothing to do with games or gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dukelow
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Well, you're in good company in the first thread you posted to - I counted over 30 deleted posts, out of 80 total.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't consider the bikini thread to be RSP. It's game-related, and the OP seemed to be raising a real concern about the game's content. RSP is mainly for discussions that have nothing to do with games or gaming.
lol, yep, I wonder what the most posts to be removed on a thread are?

I would agree too, that they shouldn't be place in RSP, I just think that the OP should be held to the same standards as the people replying. The bikini post alone, I don't think is as bad, but you can't look at them individually, this person is displaying a pattern of behavior, which could arguably be described as disruptive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawedu wrote:

You found a line. Mark it and be sure not to cross in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see either original post obviously deserving the "Reminder: Antagonistic, insulting, dismissive, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here." message that Octavian posted.

Might he be trying to be disruptive? Maybe, but that is a bit harder to pin down than the obviously problematic posts. Like you said, moderation is tricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Well, you're in good company in the first thread you posted

“Good.” Right. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawedu wrote:
rshipley wrote:

the issue was raised in the context of the game. that's fine.

Board forums are about human interaction. they aren't board games with hard & fast rules. You found a line. The OP did not. use that information to avoid the nebulous grey zone in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawedu wrote:
...my post certainly was disruptive. I actually intended it as a joke and to poke fun at the OP...

I don't really care about the post that I had removed, but I would like to know specifics of why it was removed so that in the future I can know if I'm getting close to crossing a line.

You’re basically saying here: “I like to fuck with people. Tell me where the line is so I can fuck with people to a maximum extent without getting in trouble.”

How do you think this is going to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

Putting on my readers, it appears that the expiration date on this account is soon to arrive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Dawedu wrote:
...my post certainly was disruptive. I actually intended it as a joke and to poke fun at the OP...

I don't really care about the post that I had removed, but I would like to know specifics of why it was removed so that in the future I can know if I'm getting close to crossing a line.

You’re basically saying here: “I like to fuck with people. Tell me where the line is so I can fuck with people to a maximum extent without getting in trouble.”

Come join RSP! It's full of line-straddling hobbyists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dukelow
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
grant5 wrote:
Dawedu wrote:

lol, the funny thing is that you are kind of right here. However, it’s not as sinister as you make it sound.

Typically I do try to be respectful of other people and give them space to share their opinions on any public forum. I reserve my venom for the people who are trying to rouse people and pick fights. In the one post the OP is calling the designs stupid and using other descriptors that are obviously trying to evoke an angry response from the community. So I see that as both welcoming and deserving of some snarky retribution.

I’m just here to have a conversation about how the rules are really applied versus how they are written. I’m not mad about my post being removed, this is just interesting and I would like to know more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dukelow
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
spoon wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Dawedu wrote:

lol, I joined it yesterday after learning about it from the rules, but there are too many posts in there. I couldn’t keep up with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As complaints go, I've seen better.

When I saw your thread title, I thought we were going to get something good. Instead you praise the mod who removed your post and said you didn't mind it being removed, asked for information and then finished off by thanking the mods.

Come on! Where's the complaint?!?! Where's the ire and invective? What's with this "Thank you sir, may I have another?" routine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawedu wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Dawedu wrote:

lol, the funny thing is that you are kind of right here. However, it’s not as sinister as you make it sound.

Typically I do try to be respectful of other people and give them space to share their opinions on any public forum. I reserve my venom for the people who are trying to rouse people and pick fights. In the one post the OP is calling the designs stupid and using other descriptors that are obviously trying to evoke an angry response from the community. So I see that as both welcoming and deserving of some snarky retribution.

I’m just here to have a conversation about how the rules are really applied versus how they are written. I’m not mad about my post being removed, this is just interesting and I would like to know more.

You are basically the textbook case study in why the line is ambiguous. I want to link back to this thread now every time someone complains about the ambiguous line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawedu wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Dawedu wrote:

You mess with the bull and you get the horns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Akado wrote:
Dawedu wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Dawedu wrote:

Yes yes yes, but precisely how hard can I flick the bull's balls before the horns come into play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Akado wrote:
Dawedu wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Dawedu wrote:

Yes yes yes, but precisely how hard can I flick the bull's balls before the horns come into play?

This whole discussion is bullocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Dawedu wrote:

Don't forget to latex dip before entering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You tried to do snark. I like snark. I prefer snark over smarm. BGG does not like snark anymore. The snark is an endangered species at BGG.

Or, at least, BGG does not like snark in certain circumstances. Snark must be BGG-approved. But true snark must be allowed to roam free and wild. A tame snark is not a snark at all.

The day of the snark at BGG may be over. I fear we are approaching the day of the smarm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawedu wrote:
So I guess I'm having problems seeing where the line is.
There isn't one.

Pete (suggests not even getting close to where you think "the line" might be)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Akado wrote:
Dawedu wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Dawedu wrote:

or Bond's!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.