Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGodsMustBeCrazy wrote:
You tried to do snark. I like snark. I prefer snark over smarm. BGG does not like snark anymore. The snark is an endangered species at BGG.

Or, at least, BGG does not like snark in certain circumstances. Snark must be BGG-approved. But true snark must be allowed to roam free and wild. A tame snark is not a snark at all.

The day of the snark at BGG may be over. I fear we are approaching the day of the smarm.

Everyone thinks they can be a comedian, but the record shows that not everyone has the chops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
tumorous wrote:
Akado wrote:
Dawedu wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Dawedu wrote:
...my post certainly was disruptive. I actually intended it as a joke and to poke fun at the OP...

I don't really care about the post that I had removed, but I would like to know specifics of why it was removed so that in the future I can know if I'm getting close to crossing a line.

You’re basically saying here: “I like to fuck with people. Tell me where the line is so I can fuck with people to a maximum extent without getting in trouble.”

How do you think this is going to go?
lol, the funny thing is that you are kind of right here. However, it’s not as sinister as you make it sound.

Typically I do try to be respectful of other people and give them space to share their opinions on any public forum. I reserve my venom for the people who are trying to rouse people and pick fights. In the one post the OP is calling the designs stupid and using other descriptors that are obviously trying to evoke an angry response from the community. So I see that as both welcoming and deserving of some snarky retribution.

I’m just here to have a conversation about how the rules are really applied versus how they are written. I’m not mad about my post being removed, this is just interesting and I would like to know more.
You mess with the bull and you get the horns.
Yes yes yes, but precisely how hard can I flick the bull's balls before the horns come into play?

or Bond's!

Hannibal is totally gunna eat that guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Yes yes yes, but precisely how hard can I flick the bull's balls before the horns come into play?
Even if the mods gave a very specific accounting of exactly what was and what wasn't allowed, I'm pretty sure they'd make exceptions. Like if someone consistently makes provocative posts trying to goad people, and pushes right up to, but precisely not over, the line... I think they'd end up modding that guy because he's not acting in good faith.

And the guy would moan and wail that what he'd done was technically allowed, but here's the thing... no matter how much the ranch hand tells you the bull is willing to put up with, it all comes down to how the bull happens to be feeling that day. And if you're going to dance the edge of that line and flick the bull's balls as much as you can get away with, then you're playing with fire and you have to accept that there's a risk because lines aren't always as hard and fast as you think and that if you're tweaking the line often enough eventually you're going to learn that there's no safe way to toe the line.

TLDR; Where's the line is a silly question. If you're going to stand that close to the edge that often, eventually the edge of the cliff will crumble and you're gonna fall into trouble. The only safe play is to stand well clear of the edge.

Asking where the line is and thinking that you can stand just shy of it and be safe is precisely like flicking a bull's balls just up to the point that he won't attack you. If you're really worried about being attacked by the bull, you won't be flicking his balls in the first place. And if you do anyway then there's no guarantee of safety, no matter how much anybody tells you where the line is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:

Come join RSP! It's full of line-straddling hobbyists!

Unfortunately, the advertisements promise this...

but the dailies indicate this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
You tried to do snark. I like snark. I prefer snark over smarm. BGG does not like snark anymore. The snark is an endangered species at BGG.

Or, at least, BGG does not like snark in certain circumstances. Snark must be BGG-approved. But true snark must be allowed to roam free and wild. A tame snark is not a snark at all.

The day of the snark at BGG may be over. I fear we are approaching the day of the smarm.

Everyone thinks they can be a comedian, but the record shows that not everyone has the chops.

See, now that kind of snark is still tolerated. If you want to know how to safely do snark, read through Darth Hugo's posting history (it's basically all snark). Do it like him, and you will never be moderated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

See, now that kind of snark is still tolerated. If you want to know how to safely do snark, read through Darth Hugo's posting history (it's basically all snark). Do it like him, and you will never be moderated.

If you spent a moment looking over my rap sheet, you will find that I have been moderated over 40+ times. Mostly, when I was high on PCP and SoCo, but guilty none-the-less.

And for the sake of humanity, please never, ever make me a role model for anything. Not even depravity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dukelow
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lol, I appreciate the comments about snark.

For those who are saying I’m looking for an exact line not to cross I disagree with you. There’s nothing wrong with having a discussion about what is the true intentions of the rules and moderators, and how are those rules actually being enforced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm filming my latest adult film vignette, nobody on the set confuses it with a production of Shakespeare. I think the same evaluation process can be said for any post on BGG - you'll know if it crosses any lines by a moment of reflection and observation.

In short, like a film, not all posts are the same. Both are generally the same, but completely different in context, content, intent, substance, etc. And without any snark, I do realize that not everyone possesses the intuition and faculties to parse those subtleties, and for that group, I recommend not to post anything that they are unsure about.

To answer your pointed question.. obviously your post was substantially different in one of numerous ways that the OP's wasn't. I can prove that by pointing to your comment's drying skins on that rack over there... while the OP's is still fully alive.

It's tricky, but you have to take the journey yourself. Hopefully, a misstep won't resolve in a death outcome, but that is really what makes life exciting!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

If you spent a moment looking over my rap sheet, you will find that I have been moderated over 40+ times. Mostly, when I was high on PCP and SoCo, but guilty none-the-less.

And for the sake of humanity, please never, ever make me a role model for anything. Not even depravity.

I thought my four times was impressive. I lay the golden fiddle at your feet.

I had to look up SoCo. Turns out it's a soul food restaurant in Brooklyn. They must have some good whiskey there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
When I'm filming my latest adult film vignette, ...
Seriously?

Disclaimer: when some humor is sufficiently subtle, I cannot tell if it is humor or truth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

I had to look up SoCo. Turns out it's a soul food restaurant in Brooklyn. They must have some good whiskey there.

my guess is SoCo is Southern Comfort - my drink of choice when Kahlua isn't available
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

my guess is SoCo is Southern Comfort - my drink of choice when Kahlua isn't available

I love kahlua and cream! That was my drink of choice back in my band days, after screwdrivers started to make my nose run, for some reason. Don't drink much of anything anymore. It's bad for my blood sugar, and I never liked most alcohol anyway. Plus being a dad and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoya wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
When I'm filming my latest adult film vignette, ...
Seriously?

Disclaimer: when some humor is sufficiently subtle, I cannot tell if it is humor or truth.

I have faith in the audience's intellect

and

you may be looking for Larry the Cable Guy show down the street.

Now, that's funny, allllright.

I'm glad that I can still equally offend, amuse, and confuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Javol.

Soco... The drink that gives you options with mortality: Cirrhosis or Type II Diabetes complications.

I used to finish a half 750 of SoCo in one sitting back yonder. Oh, GJC, those hangovers were the worst.

My greatest memory involving SoCo was playing ten games of Nintendo golf with a good friend from 11PM to 5AM, while doing shots of SoCo and balancing the down with Coke Classic.

We finished the whole 1L bottle by the time we were nearing the end of the tournament. Shooting very poor scores - all over par. Grabbed breakfast, where I couldn't stop mooing like a cow for the duration of the meal. For S&Giggles, I will still randomly moo when nobody else is around, bringing me immediately back to that breakfast memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Isn't that pretty much your mission statement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Isn't that pretty much your mission statement?

That mission statement is constantly changing, depending on which felon is sharing my cell.

I like to think that I bring a smile to some, bring a frown to others, bring confusion to all the rest, but give a tingly feeling to everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawedu wrote:
Lol, I appreciate the comments about snark.

For those who are saying I’m lookimg for an exact line not to cross I disagree with you. There’s nothing wrong with having a discussion about what is the true intentions of the rules and moderators, and how are those rules actually being enforced?

The rules as enforced as they are enforced. The intent of the rules is what is enforced, and can change without prior notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |