Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Griffiths
United Kingdom
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
Hidden within the dungeons of a distant land are caverns containing wealth enough for even the greediest adventurer; if they survive the horrors that await them...

This rather rare item is actually an expansion for the excellent Warhammer Quest game. It give adventures the opportunity to travel across barren, inhospitable lands with the sole intention of plundering tombs. Nearly all of the beasties found there tend to be festering and rather rotten, with the exception of a few twisted henchmen.

The box set comes with a 49 page rulebook, 4 floorplans, 36 cards, 6 catacomb counters, a couple of extra doorways and 7 excellent miniatures.

Whilst it is not necessary for your dungeon adventure, it does provide a welcome break from orc bashing. it also offers new rewards aswell as new weapons for the enemy to wield. It also caters for characters from first to 10th level (unlike the Orc Warlord expansion).

It does have a few downsides; the first being the limited amount of travelling encounters. They are fun at first but get rather monotonous by the 3rd or 4th adventure. Next, there are a rather limited amount of undead creatures (dispite introducing the Carrion and dragon Zombie). Low levels are fine, as are high levels but the middle level encounters are mostly made up of 'bucket loads' of similar undead. It ends up being a slow wade through a multitude of 'easy to kill' but seemingly never ending collection of zombies, skeletons and ghouls.

Those few points aside, I wouldn't be without it and highly recommend getting a copy if possible. They do cost a fortune on ebay but if you trawl the net carefully you can find downloads of the rulebook, board sections and cards. Happy hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being the sort of person who likes to mix expansions, I agree that this is definitely a nice change from thumping greenskins. It's a shame that you don't get all the corresponding minis for the event cards though, a cheeky way of GW to say 'buy more minis!'. It's a shame the prototyped Skaven expansion never made it to the shelves.

The only thing I don't agree on is the rarity value. There's loads of copies on ebay (at least in the UK) every year! I got mine in shrink-wrap for less than 60 quid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the game is not SO good that the whole set should cost >$1000. You can get another game for same amount of enjoyment for $50. I am missing the 2 big expansions, but I'm not paying anything like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.