Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Gunther

Redding
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering, what are the four icons on the pyramid tiles? My best guesses:

1. The one that matches the blue temple looks like the statue of the Great Goddess found at the foot of the Temple of the Moon (aka Spider Woman, aka a precursor for the Aztec goddess Xochiquetzal).

2. The one that matches the red temple looks like The Old Fire God (aka Huehueteotl).

3. The one that matches the green temple looks like the Feathered Serpent, (aka a precursor to the Aztec God Quetzalcoatl).

4. The one that does not match a temple looks like the Aztec glyph for "reed."

Am I close? Can you provide a photo/explanation/background of the sculpture/mural/mask that the art is based on?

Love the art, the history, and the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct on all counts!

The blue temple represents the Pyramid of the Moon and, therefore, its symbol is the Great Goddess (which was closely associated with the Moon Temple).

The red temple represents the Pyramid of the Sun and its icon is, indeed, modeled after Huehueteotl, which is the most likely association with the Sun Temple.

And, of course, the green temple represents the Temple of the Feathered Serpent, and, therefore, uses the symbol of the Feathered Serpent. (Fun fact: Tlāloc is another god associated with this temple.)

Of course, it is sometimes difficult to know exactly which symbols are originally Teotihuacano and which are more recent Aztec, or, for that matter, which Aztec gods, goddessess, and symbols were originally rooted in Teotihuacano symbols.

You will find, however, that virtually every symbol and icon has been found on murals in and around (or in association with) the Teotihuacan city-state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odysseus Stamoglou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan,

great that you enjoy the art and the game!
As Rainer said, you are right about the 3 temples. All the symbols, masks and murals you see in the game are original Teotihuacano art,with some minor adjustments.
The temple icons as well as the various patterns you see are not just random decorations. For example, as you correctly pointed out the red pyramid, associated with the pyramid of the Sun has the fire god as its symbol. The red patterns and decorations are symbols associated with the fire god (like triangles, pointed or romboid shapes, etc). So I went out of my way to make sure each visual element is thematic and as true to the theme as possible.

The great pyramid symbol and the dice icons are invented, following the style of Teotihuacan with goggle eyes and headdress for the Pyramid and Maya signs for the dice. I used the mural of the Great Goddess as inspiration for the pyramid symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you perform an image search for "Teotihuacan murals" or "Quetzalpapalotl" you will see just how much attention to detail there is in every bit of art (around the Action Boards, along the temple sides, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odysseas wrote:
Hi Dan,

great that you enjoy the art and the game!
As Rainer said, you are right about the 3 temples. All the symbols, masks and murals you see in the game are original Teotihuacano art,with some minor adjustments.
The temple icons as well as the various patterns you see are not just random decorations. For example, as you correctly pointed out the red pyramid, associated with the pyramid of the Sun has the fire god as its symbol. The red patterns and decorations are symbols associated with the fire god (like triangles, pointed or romboid shapes, etc). So I went out of my way to make sure each visual element is thematic and as true to the theme as possible.

The great pyramid symbol and the dice icons are invented, following the style of Teotihuacan with goggle eyes and headdress for the Pyramid and Maya signs for the dice. I used the mural of the Great Goddess as inspiration for the pyramid symbol.

Awesome, and allow me to congratulate you on not only the accouracy but the respect and beauty of all the design, images and art.
So is the victory point image, a conch or shell musical instrument used in religious offices?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gunther

Redding
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses Ranier and Odysseas. I played the game again last night - two player- and it was awesome! I appreciate the attention to detail and how you evoked the spirit of Mesoamerican art and glyphs in other ways. Well done!

I'm with Alejandro. What is the victory point glyph? I saw on another thread someone posted the bas relief original, but what is its meaning and/or what does it represent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odysseus Stamoglou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. I was, and still am fascinated by these civilizations. The victory point symbol is a part of a large relief on walls around or in the palace complex, if I remember correctly. During my research for the project I got and read several books on the subject, such as:
-The art of Mesaoamerica
-The gods and symbols of Ancient Mexico and the Maya
-The old fire God and his symbolism at Teotihuacan

I was also lucky enough to find University papers such as
'The writing system of ancient Teotihuacan, Karl Taube, University of California'

I have not found any information as to what this particular symbol is though, if it is a symbol at all. But I thought it would make a cool VP symbol

Although extremely influential to Mesoamerican culture, Teotihuacan is still a mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.