Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Does anybody use the catapults in the game? If you do use them, how do you use them?
Do you add 1,2,3 or more catapults. Do you exchange fortresses for catapults? What attack value (6?) do you give them, what kind of defence (also a 6? or maybe better less?) value. Can they only destroy in a conquered province or can they also convert/occupy?
Do you feel the game is more balanced with the catapult? i can imagine fortresses become less strong (since they would have to roll a die because the catapult negates the automatic 6)and the Helen of Troy card is of less value since catapults can't be "bribed".
Let me know your expierences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Re:Catapults
burrie (#38182),
I think that the player aid in the page depicts well the use of the catapults. By me with catapults the game is more balanced and dynamic. Obviuosly you have to use fortresses put in horizontal to make catapults, so less fortresses are available to build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
LuZa (#38191),
How many catapults can there be on your board per player (one, two or up to eight so that you don't have any fortresses). Can your catapults occupy or convert a province or only destroy something in a province?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie (#38386),

The player aid I posted contains some "house-rules" on the use of catapults. The feedback I have received on those is quite good.

We limit the number of catapults to two per Empire. We also limit the number of catapults per province to one, else the double fortress card would lose some of its appeal.

We also use the rule that a Legion must accompany the catapult, else it cannot move. Thus, although "Helen" has no power over the catapults, if the last Legion is converted, the catapult is immobilized...

As mentioned by another person above, you can use the fortress lying on its side to represent the catapult. If you'd like to fiddle with more units, then it is rather easy to make a few wooden ones. Our group adds the catapults as extra units, thus retaining the current number of fortresses.

Denis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:
Can your catapults occupy or convert a province or only destroy something in a province?

A catapult is a military unit, therefore is has the same options as the legions when it comes to Sacking, Occupying or Converting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Hawk (#38479),
You say that when a catapult is without a legion it becomes immobilized. Do you then take it off the board, or will it just stand there until the original owner comes and claims it back again? What happenes if a catapult is in one of the provinces you own already, but there is no legion with it? Can it still defend for you?
I assume you use a offensive and defensive value of 6 for the catapult. How about using the standard 6 for offensive, but as soon as the catapult has to defend it has to roll a die (A catapult is an offensive weapon after all and not a defensive one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie (#38766),
My apologies for the delay in replying.

Catapult "immobilization" simply means that the unit cannot move without being accompanied by a legion. It is not removed and defends on a "6".

The catapult is actually a siege weapon, which is one of the reasons we came up with the "immobilization" rule. As such, once built/installed, it's effectiveness is not reduced. While on defense, we assume it is installed in a strategic location (high grounds, in a fort, etc.).

Since all of these are "house rules", you should feel free to experiment with your suggestion of having them roll while on defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hawk (#38479),
sorry to everyone for my delay in the reply, too. It's not easy to keep track of all the treads in various games pages.

What kind of unit would you use to represent the catapults? I'm thinking of buying/producing something, but obviously must be similar to other units.

P.S. Your player aid is very very good, really. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
LuZa (#41863),
I just use the cylinders from Web of Power. They use the same colours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie (#42489),

...or use the catapults from Eagle Game's: "Civ" game- works great!!!

I actually use other components from other games as well:

I use:

1) legion-(roman soldier) from Civ (Eagle Games)
2) tiremes-(ships) from Civ
3) cities- from History Of the World/Revised (Avalon Hill)
4) forts- History of the World
5) markets- (use the under side city/town piece from HotW)
6) catapults- Civ
7) Temples- from the Original MB:Conquest of the empire game!
8) influence markers- control markers from CotE game
9) caravan counters- is the ONLY piece I use from the game!

Works Great! (I love minis...never too crazy about 'wooden' pieces!)

-Nick-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LuZa wrote:
What kind of unit would you use to represent the catapults? I'm thinking of buying/producing something, but obviously must be similar to other units.

Well it took me 6 months to get back to you on this... shake

I was going to provide step-by-step instructions as well as pictures on how to build these, but I have been unable to find the parts at the local arts and craft stores...
soblue

Here's a quick description of how one member of our group built the units. Basically, he glued 2 wooden "V"s and 4 wooden plugs, then painted them. I'll post a picture of these units, just to give you an idea.

LuZa wrote:
P.S. Your player aid is very very good, really. Thanks.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Cheers,
Denis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike clark
United States
Danville
California
flag msg tools
burrie (#38182),
http://lotk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/catapult.gif

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.