Subject: New group playing Zombicide need advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Next month I'm setting up a "Guys night" at my place, the plan is to play a board game or two, drink some beer and have some laughs. I have played different games with most of the guys before stuff like Risk, Axis & allies, apples to apples, even cards against humanity. But for our first night I bought Zombicide (season 1) for us to play. I don't think anyone has played Zombicide before and should be a nice starting point for us.

My questions are
1- Should I also pick up any expatiation for the game?
2- Should I have gotten season 2 or 3 as our first game?
3- With some expatiation could we squeeze in a 7th or 8th player?

Our goal is to get together every month so we might get more of the games at some point.

Thanks for info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hunnicutt
United States
Arden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
1- Should I also pick up any expansion for the game?
If you've not played the game, I'd say no. The base game is just fine.

2- Should I have gotten season 2 or 3 as our first game?
Opinions may vary, but I think season 1 is a great starting point.

3- With some expansion could we squeeze in a 7th or 8th player?
You can always proxy survivors from later expansions to fill out your player count. I think there's at least two scenarios in the base game that call for 6+ players. I've never played at this player count, so I can't speak to how good they are. If these get stale (or if they just don't appeal to you), you can find more scenarios online.

My advice is to make sure you have a handle on the rules. Maybe watch a play through online. I was just talking about Zombicide to a coworker, yesterday, as he and his game group have been playing it recently. He was asking what they could do to make the game more challenging, as they were finding it kind of easy.

While talking about strategy (specifically about how I like to have Wanda run around and open all the doors, first thing), we discovered his group had not been spawning zombies when opening buildings (per page 10 of the rules: whenever you open a building for the first time, you spawn zombies for each room.

We also found that I had made the game more difficult for my self. If a zombie can see two sets of survivors, it goes toward the noisiest one, regardless of distance. I've been playing the game solo since season 1 and I missed that rule.

So yeah. Make sure you've got the rules right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Only if you want variety. And add more Zombies and types is a good way to keep it fresh. Walk of the Dead 1 & 2 will fill out your base zombie ranks. Zombie Dogs and Murder of Crows will keep you on your toes.

2. Season 1 is just fine. (You can get tons of free scenarios at Guillotine Games homepage).

3. Yes. Pick up a couple Survivor expansions. Toxic Mall is a nice way to add to the Season 1 with new Zombie types. A few new survivors and a couple of new mechanics. (My favorite season is Season 3 btw. With a more refined spawn mechanic, crawlers, and team based specialties).

The basic rule of thumb of player increase (it was in one of the rule books at some point) was to add an addition spawn point per 1-2 additional survivors. We've played this way a few times. Games take longer though!

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feed back.

Just bought the game from the marketplace so it should be here next week. But I do have Black Plague have played a few times with my son, we are going to play it tomorrow because I'm thinking the rules basics should pretty close. And watching play thru is a good idea too. My plan is to have played the game 4 or 5 times before the group gets together.

The Toxic Mall exp does look neat. The extra zombies would be nice but could pull them from BLack plague if we had to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

using the Zombie from Black Plague in modern... The local Medieval Times Dinner Theater (this still a thing?) have been turned and are taking to the streets.

I think Black Plague is a better rule system (the advantages of coming after years of refinement from the 3 Seasons of modern Zombicide). While the changes are minor, there are a few we like and often use them in one form or other in the modern incarnation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Johnson
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Floydski wrote:

using the Zombie from Black Plague in modern... The local Medieval Times Dinner Theater (this still a thing?) have been turned and are taking to the streets.

I think Black Plague is a better rule system (the advantages of coming after years of refinement from the 3 Seasons of modern Zombicide). While the changes are minor, there are a few we like and often use them in one form or other in the modern incarnation.

Yeah not a perfect solution for sure. Really thinking I might order Toxic mall that way we can get more players and zombies.

I thought about running Black Plague but with the group I'm thinking the modern setting would be better to get them all started.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Frost
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone that you don’t need more than the base game. Keep it simple to start. Most important is to run a good scenario - some are more balanced than others. I’d suggest avoiding scenarios driving cars, and don’t use Zombivors to start if you do pick up angry neighbors.

You can pick up more survivors off eBay, some can be pretty cheap. I’d avoid the toxic mall scenarios - most aren’t that great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.