Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Q:When I say "lawyer" what pops into your head? A:Someone who designs games about penguins." - Dormammu
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always fun to see how Knizia steal mechanics from his earlier games, mixes them up a bit, refines them and comes up with something really good, like Great Wall. Playing it I saw elements of Loot and Samurai, among other games. Somehow no matter how many old mechanics he uses, it almost always feels fresh to me.

But I'm stumped by the Monk in Great Wall of China. The Monk, you may recall, reduces all cards in that row to 1 point. I know I've seen this before in a specific game (probably one I own!), but I just can't recall which one. I assume, but cannot be sure, that it's a Knizia affair.

FOR BONUS POINTS: Each soldier is equal to the number of your soldiers in play at the time you play that soldier (first is 1, second is 2, third is 3, etc.). This is more common dynamic, almost (but not quite) like plague rats in Magic: The Gathering. Anybody recall a game that uses this mechanic precisely?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kröhnert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a lot like Condottiere ...

The Winter card has a similar function like the Monk, I'd think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Q:When I say "lawyer" what pops into your head? A:Someone who designs games about penguins." - Dormammu
mbmbmbmbmb
Michel wrote:
Sounds a lot like Condottiere ...

The Winter card has a similar function like the Monk, I'd think.
Bingo! For relieving me from my sleepless nights worrying over this, I'm giving you a .

Now only if I could get an answer to the second one...

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:

FOR BONUS POINTS: Each soldier is equal to the number of your soldiers in play at the time you play that soldier (first is 1, second is 2, third is 3, etc.). This is more common dynamic, almost (but not quite) like plague rats in Magic: The Gathering. Anybody recall a game that uses this mechanic precisely?

Guillotine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kröhnert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the GG!
I fear I have to pass on the second question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Weiss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:
But I'm stumped by the Monk in Great Wall of China. The Monk, you may recall, reduces all cards in that row to 1 point. I know I've seen this before in a specific game (probably one I own!), but I just can't recall which one. I assume, but cannot be sure, that it's a Knizia affair.

Another Knizia game which has this mechanic is Kingdoms, where the dragon tile turns all positive tiles to 0-pointers but leaves negative tiles alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rao
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiberiusdw wrote:
topherr wrote:

Another Knizia game which has this mechanic is Kingdoms, where the dragon tile turns all positive tiles to 0-pointers but leaves negative tiles alone.
Never seen this one. How is the game?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdoms is another nicely engineered small box Knizia. It is an elegant and even addictive filler that plays well with 2 or 3. In the same league as Great Wall, I think.
It only suffers from tacky Fantasy Flight production and art. BTW, it has even more math that most Knizia games! But if you don't mind a rather dry and thinly themed game, you might like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:

In Ivanhoe, "Drop Weapon" (I think that is the name of the card) has this effect (changes the tournament to green, where every card is worth one point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that FFG is re-releasing kingdoms rethemed as Beowolf, but I don't have much info on it. I like Kingdoms, interesting to play, even the kids get into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:

It is so common a dynamic, I may scream next time I see it! They're called pyramid numbers:
1 =1
1+1 =2+1=3
1+1+1 =3+3=6
1+1+1+1 =4+6=10
1+1+1+1+1 =5+10=15
et cetera

They are used in Amun-Re, Saint Petersburg, and many other Knizia and non-Knizia games. They probably date back to the beginnings of mathematics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Warpozio
Belgium
gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topherr wrote:
tiberiusdw wrote:
topherr wrote:

Never seen this one. How is the game?

Cheers!

I like it.
I prefer the German "Aus Heller und pfenning" over Kingdoms. The material is much better.
Apparently Beowulf the movie game is a rework of the kingdoms mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
They're called pyramid numbers

More commonly triangle numbers. Pyramid numbers would a more appropriate term for something else. There are tetrahedral numbers, which are sums of traiangle numbers (1, 4, 10, 20, 35, ...). If your pyramid were square rather than triangle based then sums of squares would be appropriate (1, 5, 14, 30, 55, ...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
More commonly triangle numbers.

Correct: Amun-Re on the brain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mud in Battleline removes the formation "bonus." Not exactly changing all values to 1, but a similar concept.

The bonus question is kind of a two parter. The triangle number is how the soldiers work in Great Wall, but the Plague Rat mechanism makes the group value equal to the square of the number of identical cards. Roesnkoenig scores like this, but I think there are better examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Where did Reiner borrow this mechanic from?
topherr wrote:

Notre Dame uses that mechanic as well (except it's not cards that you play but meeples to place in a field and every meeple/pawn added works like you described it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
The bonus question is kind of a two parter. The triangle number is how the soldiers work in Great Wall, but the Plague Rat mechanism makes the group value equal to the square of the number of identical cards. Roesnkoenig scores like this, but I think there are better examples.

Commodity scoring in Taj Mahal.
Purchase costs in Amun Re.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
They're called pyramid numbers

More commonly triangle numbers.

Or even more commonly called triangular numbers.

(The term is a parallel construction to square numbers, in which the word square is an adjective, and not merely a noun being used as an adjective.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A lot of this game was borrowed from an earlier title of his which was a Lord of the Rings card game. This was redone and re-issued in a lesser-known FFG title called King's Gate, which never got the same recognition that Kingdoms got, despite being part of the same Silver Line. If you look, you will see a lot of similarities here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A geeklist all about Pyramid or Triangular numbers:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/9178

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pimlott
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Gambit Royale for the first time tonight, very similar to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
topherr wrote:
It's always fun to see how Knizia steal mechanics from his earlier games, mixes them up a bit, refines them and comes up with something really good, like Great Wall.
I think variations of both mechanisms can be found in Reiner Knizia's Amazing Flea Circus as Clowns and Acrobats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.