Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A four-player game ended early (and apparently unsatisfyingly for my group, since I won, ha ha ha), but rather than playing a full game, Ray The Bastard came up with this. (It would really only work for four players.)

Throw out one of the tiles; each wizard starts in one of the corners, and put the Dagger in the middle. Deal out a normal hand of seven cards; the last wizard left alive wins!

(Also, we said you could attack on the first turn. That's what we were there for... We also said that you could draw again if you drew Rotate Sector or Relocate Sector.)

It was a pretty funny game; Dan started off by casting a Thornbush in front of Sam, which I argued was a bad idea, because you probably want to be out of sight for the first half of the game! Sam teleported out, into the one space with walls on three sides; Ray then used Create Wall to seal him in (which of course I started complaining about again), then immediately used Destroy Wall to hurt him. (OK, points for style.)

Ray was killed pretty early on (with the Dagger which started in the middle of the board, ha ha ha); with the Wizard Blade and Powerstone which I looted from his corpse, I was able to run around hacking up Dan and Sam.

The Thornbush turned out to be pretty popular; several of us jumped into it to avoid serious harm at different points. It was finally destroyed (while Sam was hiding in it) by Destroy Wall, Reuse Spell, Destroy Wall, starting the obligatory one-rules-argument-per-game. Jumping into the bush causes him to lose his next turn, but the bush was destroyed before his next turn began, so did he still lose the turn? At length, Sam's argument (based on the logical application of his extensive experiences with many species of thorned shrubbery) was voted down in favor of a more strict legalistic reading of the card, and he lost the turn after all. (But on the other hand, we decided that the bush protected him from all of the Destroy Wall damage.) He did manage to evade the Wizard Blade for a while by running off into the dungeon, but after chasing him for a while, I was able to cork the hallway ahead of him with solid stone, then circle around and finish him off with an Around-The-Corner attack.

The end result (especially unsatisfying for everyone but me) was that I killed everyone for the win. Yay me!

The player elimination was a little rough for the two guys who were knocked out first, but the extremely close quarters were a lot of fun, and I would play it this way again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds awesome. I must give it a whirl next time I have the chance. When I saw the image, the first thought that popped into my head was "FOUR WIZARDS ENTER, ONE WIZARD LEAVES!"

I love the knife in the center... but you just don't bring a knife to a fireball fight.

Mischa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwanchai Moriya
United States
Monrovia
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i play this way all the time now. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cobbs c
msg tools
mb
Necro, but this does sound a lot of fun. Would work well with the FFG reprint, since there are more boards to choose from, and the 'new' sides seem like they'd be especially good for this variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.