United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In reading the rules of Power Grid, for a two player game, three areas are in use. In a six player game, five areas are in use. I'm assuming that the whole board is in play when it's 3-5 players. Is that what should be assumed??

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Areas in use question
bop517 (#38250),Rules state that you can only play in areas of other players not unused zones, unless it's a 2player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim K.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 (#38250),
You use 1 area per player, except when there are 2 or 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 (#38250),

As stated, one per player. They must be connected territories. So why do thay have 6 territories? Variety. With 5 and 6 players, you can change the board configuration by choosing a different territory to be the one you don't play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 (#38250),

BTW, thought I might just throw this out. The purple part of Germany stinks. LOL. It too damn expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stayman (#38476),

The whole idea is to have some more expensive areas/cities, and some less expensive areas. That makes people cluster more in the cheaper areas. It certainly also happens in the western US. It seems to work well, to me. Why do you think this is bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ (#38547),

We also excluded one of the cheap (pinkish) areas, when one player blocked off an area (North East), none of us had enough money to stop him from building to 14 cities and assuming comlete control of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Campbell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
stayman (#38613),

The game requires some knowledge of the board's characteristics in order to choose a good starting location that is somewhat defensible and allows good expansion opportunities. I think the Germany board is a bit tougher to "read" for beginners, probably because the transition from cheap to expensive areas is harsher and, well, more *peculiar* than on the US map.

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Garrett
United Kingdom
Wokingham
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
stayman wrote:
DaviddesJ (#38547),

We also excluded one of the cheap (pinkish) areas, when one player blocked off an area (North East), none of us had enough money to stop him from building to 14 cities and assuming comlete control of the game.

I've blocked off an area, but simply got leapfrogged. Once stage 2 starts, you can't block off anyway. If all the other players run a single patch across you, you will get overrun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.