Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Breti
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was our first attempt at Attika. Greg and I played. Greg won handily.

I started building from the centre of the board while Greg built from end to end. Greg was able to out-maneuver me by causing my lines to extend around his pieces. We mixed up the amphora/tile drawing rule and took amphoras when we should have been drawing tiles. About halfway through the game we realized this and reversed the moves, which opened up the board nicely.

I was busy focusing on making my own line and didn't pay too much attention to Greg, who built a line quickly by taking advantage of three free moves in a row. This tactic reminds me a little of using the extra draw pile in Odin's Ravens. If your opponent is a few moves away from winning, be very careful, because he could surprise you at the end and connect everything up.

The use of two cards to make up for one you don't have is similar to Odin's Ravens as well, except in Attika they don't have to be the same.

I noticed a few other things during this first game.

1. We never seemed to hold many cards. Three or four seemed to be the maximum. Neither of us collected enough cards to make streets.

2. We forgot the new settlement penalty. That "remember" section at the end of the rules is very important to re-read while playing!

3. The rules overall were easy to learn, and the game has a really nice "feel" to it.

4. Much of the game is similar to other connection games I have played in the past, but the need to play resource cards limits your ability to build lines where you want when you want.

5. It's a little difficult to keep track of how many of a particular group of buildings you have built. Perhaps it would be a good idea to put some markers on your play board for the ones you have played.

6. The game was pretty quick with two people. We did it in under a half hour, yet there were always interesting problems to solve.

7. It's nice that, unlike Tongiaki, you get to determine which way to orient a new tile when placing it in the board. (Works well for Tingiaki, but would be difficult to implement in this game.)

Overall, a pretty fun game. I'm looking forward to playing again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.