United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Kelley (One Stop Coop Shop) sent me an awesome suggestion for a co-op variant for the game and so I started thinking about how it would work. Here is what I have so far and feel free to let me know what you think!

2 Angler Co-op Variant (v1.0)

1.) Use the Angler AI cards in the Solo Tournament in the same way as that mode except ignore the upper portion for the Baitshop Supply row removal. (i.e. Only perform the bottom Lake part)

2.) To begin the Tournament, determine an Angler to go first as normal. They will do their phases, followed immediately by the second Angler (i.e. Bob does his Search Phase, then Kim does her's right after).

3.) All information is shared. So if Bob scans, Kim gets to see what is there too. If Kim makes a cast attempt to a lake spot, Bob gets to see the fish too.

4.) If Bob is the first to do his Cast Phase and gets a Fish to bite (moving to the Reel Phase), Kim may discard cards from her hand to help Bob catch it if he can't counter all the Fight card symbols. After that is done, Kim will then get to do her Cast Phase and may end up attracting a fish to bite too! And again, Bob may help her counter the fish during her Reel Phase if he still has cards in his hand to do so. (However, Attachments cannot be used to help another Angler. i.e. Bob could not discard Strong Line to let Kim ignore a Fight card.)

5.) Similarly, during the Buy Phase, Anglers may choose to combine their money generated in order to purchase card(s) and may distribute them however they wish. (i.e. If you buy 2 cards as a group, one Angler may take both into their hand or each Angler may take 1 apiece).

6.) During the Cleanup Phase, the Baitshop Supply would only be restocked once and the Clock would be passed to the other Angler so that you all remember that they do their phases first this next turn.

7.) At the end of the game, you can determine the winner in one of two ways:

a.) Full Co-op: Double the AI Angler's Score. Add up the two Angler's combined score. Whichever is higher wins! Ties go to the AI Angler.
b.) Semi Co-op: The AI Angler and Anglers add their scores individually and then compare to see who wins! Ties go to the AI Angler.

I suspect version b.) will bring many interesting choices (and debate!) upon whether or not you want to help your fellow Angler in the Reel Phase! And who gets to have what card(s) in the Buy Phase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OoOoOo You are making it even better! Lol, I was looking forward to trying this out just for solo, but now you have me even more interested. I have a friend who is REALLY into fishing, but I could tell after playing Coldwater Crown it was not the fishing game for her. This seems much more up her alley (or river ), so I appreciate the thought and effort on a co-op variant.

If I am able to try it out with her (ie convince her to try a new game lol) then I will definitely report back
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xabbusan wrote:
OoOoOo You are making it even better! Lol, I was looking forward to trying this out just for solo, but now you have me even more interested. I have a friend who is REALLY into fishing, but I could tell after playing Coldwater Crown it was not the fishing game for her. This seems much more up her alley (or river ), so I appreciate the thought and effort on a co-op variant.

If I am able to try it out with her (ie convince her to try a new game lol) then I will definitely report back

Wow this Variant should be perfect for your situation! I actually just got Coldwater Crown in the February USA MATH trade and am going to try it out. I wonder if I will like it or not. I may have the same reaction as your friend since it seems to be much more "gamey" instead of realistic like Tournament Fishing is. We'll see.

I am also going to test this Co-op variant with my wife ASAP and I'll also run it solo a few times to make sure everything works well and to iron out any unforeseen wrinkles that may pop up and need to be added to the rules.

I'd love to hear your feedback too! Michael told me that he is going to try it too and may end up filming both the Solo game and the Co-op (which makes sense since it's "One Stop Coop Shop").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking my tiny beginning of an idea and running with it! So excited to try this one out soon with my wife, and maybe my son too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameMasterX0 wrote:
Thanks for taking my tiny beginning of an idea and running with it! So excited to try this one out soon with my wife, and maybe my son too.

For sure, thanks for suggesting it! It’s a great idea.

I just finished my first session and got trounced 58-100. However I hit 2 snags and all 3 pop cards and the snags took away both Lures that I had bought that had fight card mitigation!

On one particular lake spot, I lost a 9 point yellow catfish 4 times because it got down to one card in the spot. I kept going after it and time after time the thing would just not get in the boat!!!

But the flow of the game and the teamwork was probably one of the best times I’ve had in the deckbuilding coop genre. It felt similar to “coordinate” in Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game but having the ability to help scan together (also similar to that game) and buy cards for each other really made it a fun experience, even though I lost so badly. I have a feeling that with the new recycle icon I put on 2 cards In the Fight deck, that will help balance out this mode a bit more where you won’t always have to get that pop 3 times.

I also think I will make it to where you do Go ahead and do the top portion of the AI card, however if 2 spots are removed in the Baitshop, you get to decide as a group which of them gets removed, keeping the other there. This was because I felt like it needed a bit more cycling to help get some more variety of cards.

All and all, for about 20 minutes of thinking when I threw this variant together, it plays phenomenally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's now officially added to the rulebook. I found a way to organize it to fit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second play a 68-84 loss. Super duper fun mode of play. I think it’s probably going to be loved by two-player folks. It just flows so well and has so much teamwork going on.

This time around I avoided 2 of those pops and only got 1 Snag. Caught 2 ten point fish as well. Just wasn’t quite enough to get the AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
mb
This will be a great way to teach the game to non gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael D. Kelley
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the coop mode with my wife (with my easy variant, which means you don't flip fish after seeing them, so no memory).

It was AMAZING. No hyperbole here, it was just so much fun and had so much constant cooperation and discussion.

We beat the AI, 83-80, with my wife reeling in two monstrous 10-point fish. She went a strong artificial lure build, while I got a bobber and several reel mitigation hooks. We almost lost the game to a couple unlucky pops and snags, but pulled it out in the end.

This game, man...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.